Anyone going to see JW in Cincinnati on Aug 7?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found it on the Main Page just a few days ago. He's conducting the Cincy Pops in tribute to Kunzel. I'm still trying to figure out the logistics (I'm in West Lafayette, Indiana) but I really really want to go even if its going to blow my budget a bit.

I think I need to start checking the main page more often. I'm currently living in northern Kentucky, so I'm only about a half-hour away from Cincinnati.

I'm not going to make any guarantee yet, but this is quite tempting. I just might go for one of those Pavilion C-price tickets. Not sure if I could justify paying any higher though.

I found it on the Main Page just a few days ago. He's conducting the Cincy Pops in tribute to Kunzel. I'm still trying to figure out the logistics (I'm in West Lafayette, Indiana) but I really really want to go even if its going to blow my budget a bit.

Hey, aren't you in Malaysia? :(

Hey, aren't you in Malaysia? :(

thats where I'm from, but I'm a sophomore at Purdue so i've mostly been in the States for the past 2 years or so.

Williams talks about Kunzel. Very nice little interview. He also mentions some stuff about Spielberg upcoming projects...

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100802/ENT/8010370/Composer-Williams-joins-Pops

And. above all, he said he has just finished a quartet for violinist Cho-Liang Lin, and is at work on an oboe concerto!

Cool stuff!

Here's another short interview with JW:

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/arts/2010/07/29/john-williams-talks-pops/

I'm going! One of my friends from school is supposed to meet me to give me some money so I can buy our tickets together. I'm looking forward to it! BFM, I don't know what the odds are of getting an autograph and/or picture, but I'm really hoping there'll be an opportunity. Even if all I get is the ability to hear Williams conduct a concert live, though, it'll be a great thing.

The concert was incredible!

He played:

The Cowboys Overture

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Harry Potter (Hedwig's Theme, Nimbus 2000, Harry's Wondrous World)

ET

Superman

Jaws (Theme, Out to Sea/Shark Cage Fugue)

Far and Away

Schindler's List

Star Wars (Imperial March, Princess Leia's Theme, Main Title)

Then he gave us four encores!

Yoda's Theme

Adventures of Mutt

Raiders March

NBC News Theme

I think one of the coolest things to watch was the extreme devotion of the fans - especially at the end when we kept bringing him back for more and more encores.

It was an absolutely awesome experience I will never forget!

An excellent performance! Yes, Adventures on Earth was a tad slow like it was on the Boston Pops cd, and there were one or two minor flubs in Superman and Raiders, but on the whole it was an amazing night and the Cincinnati Pops sounded as good as they do on CD! No surprises with the program so just about all the major material was covered with the exception of Jurassic Park. I was in row 5 so I got one or two decent pictures before I realized we actually werent allowed to take pictures and I didnt want to be a dick annoying ppl with my camera either.

Sadly I was dependent on friends for transport so I didnt get the chance to stalk the side of the stage after the concert. lol.

oh yea the encores were terrific too. when I saw there was no Indy on the program I knew it had to be in the encore. Then he gave us Yoda's Theme, and when he came back and gave us Adventures of Mutt i was almost a little bit disheartened because I began to think that this was going to be Indy serving of the night (as much as I like Advetures of Mutt). Then he immediately launches into the Raiders March after Mutt ended....and gave us the Mission on top of that. I'm a happy camper.

I tried to go up to see him, but one of the ushers said she thought she saw him hop in the car and leave, and one of the people I was with said she actually saw something online that said he (probably?) wouldn't be able to do any appearances afterward because of pressing travel matters/engagements/whatever. Oh, well.

It was indeed a great concert. One of the things that was a lot of fun was getting to experience a lot of his regular stories and things he does that I had read about, like the Schindler's List "I know, but they're all dead" story, and the bedtime sign at the end. His humor was evident, too. There was a great moment when a horn blew somewhere, and he said, "Is that a boat?" It blew again, and he said something to the effect of, "Eb, I think..."

I agree about The Raiders March--that was a highlight. One of my friends had told me at intermission that he had attended a Williams concert before where he gave three encores, so we were hoping for it, and the way he teased it out to the third encore, he had me praying that it would be The Raiders March. I'm normally pretty big on concert etiquette, but despite myself I gave a brief clap when it began--I was so excited! And then we started to head over to meet some people who were sitting in the rear seats (I was on the lawn), and he came up for the fourth encore, and I was just blown away. Great stuff.

Chuck, I agree--it was wonderful to see the enthusiasm of the crowd, and I think he appreciated it, too. He even sort of commented on it as he was introducing "The Mission," saying something like, "Since you all have so much energy..." Excellent atmosphere--oh, and the weather and sky were fantastic. There's a very special ambience to seeing a concert like that in that setting.

I had thought I would be satisfied now that I've seen a Williams-conducted concert, but now (maybe due to the fact that I still haven't gotten to meet him), I want to see him conduct the Boston Pops Film Night all the more. Nevertheless, just to have had this opportunity was great--it was very surreal to know that that was JOHN WILLIAMS on that stage out there--I almost couldn't believe it. It was a great experience.

being up front I could see that the musicians turning to new pages after each encore so i knew it wouldnt end until they stopped turning XP

I tried to go up to see him, but one of the ushers said she thought she saw him hop in the car and leave, and one of the people I was with said she actually saw something online that said he (probably?) wouldn't be able to do any appearances afterward because of pressing travel matters/engagements/whatever.

I guess thats good to know I probably didn't miss out then. ;)

Oh, well. Excellent atmosphere--oh, and the weather and sky were fantastic. There's a very special ambience to seeing a concert like that in that setting.

Well, there were the audible cicadas in the trees haha.