Dream concert arrangements

Quintus

Can someone post a link to what the Philharmonics 76 c.d. looks like

I just did a quick check of Amazon, Google and Soundtrack collector and couldn't find anything.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because I have a "Disaster Suite" conducted by Bill Conti (Earthquake,TTI and Jaws)

But I never heard of the Poseidon Adventure theme being re-recorded by Williams outside of the actual score.

What CD is that Conti suite on, KM?

I think Richard refers to the Filmharmonic concert in 76, which there's no CD of? If there was such a concert, of course.

The Force Theme (The biggest and most used Star Wars Theme but it has no concert suite and i'm the first mentionig it here, that's suprising ^.^)

The Nazi Theme from Last Crusade

definatly needed one, the theme (to me) sounded more like the very end of a theme like the middle and end but no intro

Considering how great and how well developed the theme is in the six movies (It is definitely Williams best developed Theme in his whole career) the Throne Room track just is not enough :)

Only the beginning of the track has the great epic renditions of the theme and then it changes to the coronation motif and the Main theme, rebel fanfare and Leia's theme. So 80 percent of the track are other themes and the Force B theme completely misses.

For me a proper Force theme suite should build on the Force B theme (which only really appeared two times in six movies - Rebel Fleet/End Credits and Funeral Pyre (Film version)) and shift back and forth to the Force Theme. Sadly it doesn't look good, probably there will never be a real Force Theme Suite.

Someone who attends Williams concerts should ask him about composing a Force Theme suite before he dies...

I would love to hear an arrangement made my John Williams himself of all his love themes or action themes, but in a really different orchestral way and playing off each other etc, like a chaotic battle between his themes.

definatly needed one, the theme (to me) sounded more like the very end of a theme like the middle and end but no intro

icon_neutral.gif Man, three or four moments of just that comical fanfare developed? Not to mention the political difficulties of naming a piece after Nazis.

What CD is that Conti suite on, KM?

I think Richard refers to the Filmharmonic concert in 76, which there's no CD of? If there was such a concert, of course.

There certainly was such a concert, as I watched it on television (I.T.V., I think). At around the same time, J.W. was interviewed for a film music radio show called "Starsound - broadcast on Radio 2 - where he talked about both "Midway", and "The Missouri Breaks", as well as "Jaws". He spoke of how he thought that "Jaws" was not a "disaster" film per se, but rather an adventure. Of course, I can't prove any of this, but I was already developing a serious fascination with J.W.'s misic, even at the tender age of (edited).

P.s., I also saw J.W. conduct a "Star Wars" suite at Filmharmonic '86, at the RAH, where I also met and spoke to Jim Henson.

icon_neutral.gif Man, three or four moments of just that comical fanfare developed? Not to mention the political difficulties of naming a piece after Nazis.

Well Wagner always found a way around it.

Well Wagner always found a way around it.

Are you saying that Wagner was a Nazi before the Nazis?

Williams could do what Goldsmith did for the Varese Patton recording and call it the German March.

Ah I see what you mean now, it is a nice little theme for her character. Do you agree though that the other theme which I referred to is concert worthy too? One thing this little conversation has done is remind me just how brilliant Arnold was in ID4; such a shame he is unlikely to return for the sequel, he'll be missed.

I agree on all points.

Williams could do what Goldsmith did for the Varese Patton recording and call it the German March.

Ah I see what you mean now, it is a nice little theme for her character. Do you agree though that the other theme which I referred to is concert worthy too? One thing this little conversation has done is remind me just how brilliant Arnold was in ID4; such a shame he is unlikely to return for the sequel, he'll be missed.

I agree on all points.

THERE IS GOING TO BE A SEQUEL TO ID4?! I'm losing the will to live.

I get the impression the score itself kinda treats it like an unproud necessity.

I definitely think that Williams was far less....inspired by Kate Capshaw as he was by Karen Allen and Cate Blanchett :)

Just not his kinda babe, I guess.

And he was much less inspired by Alison Doody since she even does not have a propper theme, just sensual 'mood' music when she is on screen.

I agree that several themes mentioned here probably wouldn't have enough substance for a full-length concert suite.

Personally, I'd be quite happy if they'd just replace the common CE3K suite with the 20 minuten one Gerhardt recorded. The big, lyrical finale of the score becomes much more powerful with the more dissonant stuff building up to it.

She was by far the sexiest villain out the lot though.

What? Sexier than Barbara Bach in that red Speedo as pictured on the gatefold sleve of "The Spy Who Loved Me" vinyl l.p.?

Lord know, I was talking Indy movies :)