Piano Performances

fommes

I didn't think we had a thread yet about piano performances of Williams's music, or of other good filmmusic for that matter.

I'm currently listening to the guy Miguel mentioned in another thread, Phillip Sear, who has posted many, many videos on YouTube. He has a bunch of excellent performances of published John Williams piano solo sheet music. (Though I actually didn't like the very first I clicked on, "The Days Between", which is a rather uninterested performance. I'm much less qualified than him myself, but there's much more you can do with that piece. But the rest is certainly worth listening to.)

The standout track so far, however, is a piece he wrote himself and which is inspired by the Star Wars main title: Prelude carillonante.

Another must-see site is Ninja Pumped. Mostly concentrating on video game music, this guy has transcribed a bunch of filmmusic, including Williams, too; and often links to performances of them on YouTube. Be sure to check out Lumos! and Enterprising Young Men.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, I think we did have a recent-ish thread for Piano performances of Williams pieces, but the search engine is broken so it'd be hard to find anyway

Datameister's youtube channel has a bunch of videos of him performing piano renditions of film score tunes

The "Distress Call" one certainly needs to be updated now that we know the first minute is really "Vulcan Gets A Good Drilling" :thumbup:

Haha, seriously! There are several old recordings that I now know are either missing music or actually belong to different cues - or simply don't have the right cue titles because I didn't know them back then.

I have a couple Williams piano transcriptions on YouTube including one right here in my sig.

Fantastic job. (Although as I trumpet player, I was kind of disappointed that you omitted the sixteenth-note triplet fanfare right there near the end. Always a big moment for us, when it's done right.)

I have a couple Williams piano transcriptions on YouTube including one right here in my sig.

Fantastic job. (Although as I trumpet player, I was kind of disappointed that you omitted the sixteenth-note triplet fanfare right there near the end. Always a big moment for us, when it's done right.)

I chose the other version, I like it more. But I agree it's a good trumpet part.

This is my favourite piano interpretation of E.T. This guy plays his own arrangement of it.

It's really worth taking some time and listen to both parts on Youtube.