Say a Harry Potter Box set is released........

Ollie

IF a complete Harry Potter Soundtrack Box set was released.  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Would you:

• Buy it?
    • Illegally Download Only The John Williams scores?
    • Pass On Buying?
    • Whine and Complain that it's a conspiracy against Williams that you have to pay for the other 5 scores?

PLEASE READ FIRST BEFORE VOTING!!!!

With Box set mania going, say Warner Brothers issues a box set of all the Harry Potter scores in their complete form once DH is finished.

The only "problem" is that you have to buy the complete set because the scores will not be issued separately.

Now before anyone says something, let's say we can all afford to buy this. Everyone here has the cash to spend on it.

The box set has 18 discs.

The liner notes are standard, no detailed FSM treatment but not bare like Star Trek The Deluxe Edition.

The packaging is similar to the FSM Blue Box & Rozsa Box.

The cost is $199.95

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd probably pass, the temptation to download the Williams scores would be big.

We probably shouldn't vote yet, perhaps DH will be a masterpiece or perhaps it will be the biggest turd and that could be a factor. Right now there's the 3 Williams scores that I like, Doyle's one is ok, but I definately don't care enough to have it expanded and Hooper's one which I don't like at all.

let's say we can all afford to buy this.

Given that condition, it's a no-brainer! Why would I ever not buy a soundtrack if I could afford to?

In reality, however, I would wait until I could get it on eBay for a fraction of the price.

Eh, I'd buy it. Besides Williams' scores there's some great unreleased material from Goblet of Fire, and I'm sure Deathly Hallows will be good too.

let's say we can all afford to buy this.

Given that condition, it's a no-brainer! Why would I ever not buy a soundtrack if I could afford to?

Because most people don't buy everything they can afford. If you can afford something, you decide whether you want to buy it or not.

Buy it - enough in there to keep me interested, I think?

Yes, same here.

If anything, the Nicholas Hooper scores will serve to prove to me how superior JW's scores are. :)

Provided that each score was presented in genuinely complete form (i.e. no f****g around with edits by Williams), with any significant alternates, I'd buy it.

While I don't really need any more material from Doyle's score, I'm one of few around here who think Hooper did an 'ok' job on OOtP, and a very good job on HBP. I woudn't say no to whatever was unreleased from them.

I'd buy it. I'm a sucker for fancily packaged box sets. And I love scores 1, 2, 3, and 5, I like 4, and I think 6 has some really good moments.

I'd buy it for a few reasons. Namely, the first three scores in their entirety. I probably wouldn't even listen to the other scores. I'm totally indifferent towards Goblet of Fire. I didn't like the last two.

If I can afford it? Um...duh! Yes! :) I'd mostly just listen to SS and POA, but if I can afford the whole thing, why not?

With that particular condition out of play, though, things get more interesting. $200 is a lot for me to spend on CDs at this point, particularly when I only really want a few of them. It'd be tempting to download SS and POA and send an envelope with cash to the label. :(

If as you say I have the money to buy it, then I certainly would. Mind you, I would probably complain about having to buy the other scores as well. Wouldn't stop me though. It didn't stop me with the Blue Box, even though I haven't listened to most of that more than once apart from the Williams and Courage scores.

I would certainly buy it. I expect Hooper's to be the weakest, Desplat will satisfy I'm sure, and a complete Goblet of Fire would be awesome. It's a no brain buy.

I'd buy it if there was a bonus track with Harry and Ginny's first time.

"It tastes wierd ..."

"Put your glasses on, Harry, that's not my Pygmy Puff ..."

I'd buy it. (I'm blowing $100+ on Spartacus for crying out loud.)

If it weren't limited then I'd probably wait until the next Christmas though.

The first three scores would be the highlight naturally, but I like the others a lot also.

I find both Doyle's and Hooper's efforts quite enjoyable and I'm confident Desplat won't disappoint.

I think the point of "everyone can afford it" is that everyone can somehow gather the money though you still might have to sacrifice something (some other releases maybe). If everyone can afford it means everyone's rich, what's the point of the poll??

See, that's not my definition of afford. I think probably any of us could gather that much money if we had to. We just might not be able to eat for a week. Afford, to me, means that I can buy it and not be at all set back financially.

You would think this is really going to be released...

But this would never happen, and I am not talking about the complete Harry Potter scores being released, but that all 7 scores will be released in a box set and that each score is not available separately.

Not with 7 (or 8) movies, anyway.

So.... really, no one would download it?? Very honest people here.

Downloading a few tracks illegally from an album you don't entirely enjoy is different to downloading several entire scores from a box.

I don't feel guilty about the first one (in fact I try to buy individual tracks where possible), but I would about the second

Although to be perfectly honest, I'd be happy with just 'expanded' scores (like itunes bonus tracks), just so long as those expansions chose the right music.

"...for the other 5 scores"

There is still chance that Williams will score DH part 2 or is it officially announced that Desplat will write the score for both parts???

I will probably buy it if the Deathly Hallows scores are good...

The producers probably just hired him for part 1, as a precaution, should Williams actually step down from Olympus and grace them with his presence, again.