Ever Hear Something Wrong...

BTR1701

...and it gets stuck in your head that way and your ear never hears it right, even when your brain knows what it's actually supposed to be?

With me, it's the Jurassic Park theme. I know intellectually that it's written and played like the first example below, but no matter how many times I listen to it, my ear hears it like the second example, with an extra 16th note in beat one of the second measure.

post-3062-054938700 1279917236_thumb.jpg

post-3062-019153800 1279917248_thumb.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...and it gets stuck in your head that way and your ear never hears it right, even when your brain knows what it's actually supposed to be?

With me, it's the Jurassic Park theme. I know intellectually that it's written and played like the first example below, but no matter how many times I listen to it, my ear hears it like the second example, with an extra 16th note in beat one of the second measure.

Ouch. Is that a high-school orchestra version? Looks like the extra note was put in to change the syncopated rhythm into something easier for kiddies to play.

That's weird! But although I can't relate to that specific example, this definitely happens to me. It's often the strings that fool me, since their tone quality and playing technique make their notes especially susceptible to being blurred together in certain circumstances.

What happens even more often for me, though, is that I'll misunderstand Williams' metrical intentions. He'll write a passage that changes meters a lot, and I'll think the downbeat is in a TOTALLY different place. I only realize my error when I look a the sheet music.

Can't think of it, but there was a piece where I always added extra notes in my mind when whistling it or just listening. Then it was re-recorded and the performance actually featured those extra notes. Wish I could think of it. But I think that was along these lines.

Ouch. Is that a high-school orchestra version? Looks like the extra note was put in to change the syncopated rhythm into something easier for kiddies to play.

No, I wrote that out myself. It's just how I hear it for some reason. Can't explain why.

Can't think of it, but there was a piece where I always added extra notes in my mind when whistling it or just listening. Then it was re-recorded and the performance actually featured those extra notes. Wish I could think of it. But I think that was along these lines.

Parade of the Ewoks had that. In the OST, there's a trumpet fanfare to which Williams added flourishes in the subsequent concert arrangement. You can see the difference in the two below. The first is the way it appears on the OST, and the second is the modified version. Personally, even though it's a small change, I think the flourishes really sell it.

post-3062-028621500 1279928677_thumb.jpg

post-3062-039267000 1279928689_thumb.jpg

Not quite the same thing, but I hate it when unrelated lyrics get attached to a melody.

Get out of my head and let me enjoy the orchestra! :ola:

Not quite the same thing, but I hate it when unrelated lyrics get attached to a melody.

Get out of my head and let me enjoy the orchestra! :angry:

Like this guy's stuff?

I made the mistake of watching all his videos once. I can't listen to any of those themes any more without hearing his words. :ola:

Yeah, that's exactly what I had in mind.

Jurassic Park had all but been ruined for a while. Fortunately it's been wearing off.

Get out of my head and let me enjoy the orchestra! :angry:

Like this guy's stuff?

I made the mistake of watching all his videos once. I can't listen to any of those themes any more without hearing his words. :ola:

I'm not clicking that. ;)

I don't remember if I've seen any of his videos. I think I watched one for the Raiders March but it fortunately didn't stick.

Aside from that JP video, the Moosebutter Star Wars medley was another I was thinking of.

I've avoided watching it much though, so it hasn't become ingrained.

Hook taught me that word.

Hook taught me "effortlessly." Oh, the wonders of cinema.

And I get what this thread is talking about, but the only example I can think of for me is the opening line of the Black-eyed Peas, "I got a feeling." When I think the notes in my head, they never are exactly the ones they sing. The intervals are difficult to strike blindly.

I listened to the raider's march from that guy, and I couldn't get his lyrics out of my mind for weeks. Thankfully it has worn off. But I don't think I'll ever forget his opening of the Back To The Future theme - "You built a time machine out of a car".

Getting back to the original post, if I'm humming or whistling a theme I sometimes add some extra notes, but that's about it.

Two things I hate.

First, when you first listen to a song many years ago and you mishear the lyrics one way, and even after you read the lyrics and hear it many times since then, you can never "un-hear" the wrong lyrics.

Secondly, whenever you first listen to a glitched audio track, as was common in the days of cassette recordings and transfer, or a loud audio pop in a track you got from Napster...years later, you buy the CD and have a clean copy, but your mind still gears up to hear the glitch, and a tiny part of you actually gets confused that the glitch is gone.

I can usually "forgive" the subtle confusion that happens when you hear a specific audio piece one way for so long, and then start to listen to it edited or sequenced differently. Grow up on the SW Anthology and then try to get used to the Special Edition release, especially with the way "The Last Battle" is cut up and placed into its proper places. Sometimes I actually long to hear it in its combined album version, hence why the Anthology is on my iPod. It's the same reason that I prefer the OST's to E.T. and Jurassic Park instead of some fan-made C&C edits: they're easier to listen to.

Secondly, whenever you first listen to a glitched audio track, as was common in the days of cassette recordings and transfer, or a loud audio pop in a track you got from Napster...years later, you buy the CD and have a clean copy, but your mind still gears up to hear the glitch, and a tiny part of you actually gets confused that the glitch is gone.

I had a skip on my Jaws 3 LP and for years my mind was geared to hear it. Then Intrada released the CD and when I played it for the first time I was expecting to hear the glitch. :)

I had a skip on my Jaws 3 LP and for years my mind was geared to hear it. Then Intrada released the CD and when I played it for the first time I was expecting to hear the glitch. :)

There was a very distinct couple of scratches on my Empire Strikes Back LP, which to this day my mind still wants to put in whenever I listen to that particular bit of music (Departure of Boba Fett, I believe). So I hear ya on that. :)

Grow up on the SW Anthology and then try to get used to the Special Edition release, especially with the way "The Last Battle" is cut up and placed into its proper places. Sometimes I actually long to hear it in its combined album version, hence why the Anthology is on my iPod.

But of course, the opposite is also true - if you're 100% accustomed to hearing it right, the Anthology (or original LP) edits are quite jarring and unpleasant. :) (Not that the SE releases get everything right...there are cues that are supposed to segue into each other and cues that really should be on separate tracks and so forth. But still.)

I listened to the raider's march from that guy, and I couldn't get his lyrics out of my mind for weeks. Thankfully it has worn off. But I don't think I'll ever forget his opening of the Back To The Future theme - "You built a time machine out of a car".

Getting back to the original post, if I'm humming or whistling a theme I sometimes add some extra notes, but that's about it.

Luckily I've always sucked at remembering lyrics.

I had a skip on my Jaws 3 LP and for years my mind was geared to hear it. Then Intrada released the CD and when I played it for the first time I was expecting to hear the glitch. ROTFLMAO

Same thing happened to me with the original Star Wars OST. I had the big vinyl LP when I was a kid and my mom accidentally left it lying on my bed in the sun one day while she was cleaning and the heat warped it, so when it played, there was a constant "swoosh, swoosh" sound in the background as the needle rode up and down on the warped part of the disc. To this day, I still occasionally hear ghost "swooshes" when I listen to that soundtrack.

I'm glad I grew up in the cassette era

I know what you guys are talking about though; I used to record songs I liked off the radio, and my favorite mix tape had the Mighty Mighty Bosstone's "Impression That I Get" with a big burst of static at a certain point. Whenever I listen to that song, I can still remember where the static was

But of course, the opposite is also true - if you're 100% accustomed to hearing it right, the Anthology (or original LP) edits are quite jarring and unpleasant. ROTFLMAO (Not that the SE releases get everything right...there are cues that are supposed to segue into each other and cues that really should be on separate tracks and so forth. But still.)

There's a time and place for both. The album presentation is the composer's intent for a musical listening experience outside the film. He may SUCK at these kinds of arrangements nowadays, but I still feel Star Wars the album is a great presentation of the score. In fact, I'm putting it on now.

with LOTR:ROTK there is a statement of the gondor theme that never actually completes the theme, however i fill the the rest in and it jars me when i hear the original and it doesnt complete