The official Alexandre Desplat thread

He did start using ghostwriters?

Horner never uses ghostwriters.

Some rumors say that Conrad Pope and Randy Kerber ghost-wrote a few sections of Troy (but that it's understandable, since it was a last-minute replacement).

The Legend of Zorro too. Also Don Davis on The Pagemaster.

Was it true Davis wrote some stuff on Clear and Present Danger?

Karol

It happened (and still happens) frequently that, in case of tight deadlines, trusted orchestrators step up writing a few cues for top name film composers without getting an official credit (sometimes they get it on the cue sheet for publishing rights issues).

It's really no big deal.

Nice note from Conrad Pope about Desplat's Oscar win

Absolutely fantastic! If the Oscar is recognition for the highest accomplishment in a year by a film composer, then Alexandre Desplat has certainly deserved this award many, many times. Last night, it was so exciting and gratifying to see AD finally take home the award he has earned so many times in years past but, until now, alluded his grasp. I think I could hear all my colleagues in both London and Los Angeles cheering and applauding the Academy for finally recognizing what we have known for so long: AD is a not only a composer of extraordinary talent and moving, effective music but a musician of extraordinary gifts whose music making not only graces and enhances the films he scores, but the professional lives of the musicians with whom he works. Bravo to a true maestro and bravo to his champions: Laura Engel, Richard Kraft, Doreen Ringer Ross, Paul Broucek and so many, many more. ( I know that the late, indefatigable advocate of AD's talent Bobby Urban is looking down and cheering as loudly as any). This year, Oscar disappointed neither the music lover nor the professional musician. Indeed, the recognition of Alexandre by the Academy burnishes Oscar's reputation, I think rather than vice versa.

https://www.facebook.com/conrad.pope/posts/10205180163496629

How many he wrote in 2014?!?!

Still it shouldn't not effect the voting... Even if he had productive year!

Well, he did Monuments Men, Godzilla, The Grand Budapest Hotel, The Imitation Game, Suffragette, and Unbroken.

Karol

How many scores a composer writes in a year is irrelevant. It doesn't make Monuments Men any more or less good if it was his only score that year, or one of four.

How many he wrote in 2014?!?!

Still it should not effect the voting... Even if he had productive year!

Not my cup of tee.

He is good, somehow inventive and cool but I don't know... something is missing.

Put the name Williams on it, and you would be all over this!

What?

Of course I regonize good music whoever wrote it!!!!

I only like Williams' music and most of Thomas Newman's...movie music I mean.

How many scores a composer writes in a year is irrelevant. It doesn't make Monuments Men any more or less good if it was his only score that year, or one of four.

This is exactly what I mean, Desplant got some praise how efficient he had been... I find most of his scores mediocre.

I adore The Grand Budapest Hotel. Maybe the majority of the voters did too, hornist, there is no truth in opinions. To me it's a great score and a deserving win.

I like Desplat quite a bit, but he reminds of those football players (that's soccer for you Americans), that always plays at a good level, never lets the team down, but rarely decides a match or tuns a transcedent performance.

I don't think I've ever heard a score from Desplat that I desliked, nor do I feel that he has ever failed to very competently serve the movie. But he hasn't stunned me thus far

I was first impressed by AD back in 2002, when I first heard of his music in the French film Nid de guepes (aka The Nest)--the sort of Goldsmith-esque vibe of that score made my ears peek. Then I heard The Girl with a Pearl Earring the year after and I remember thinking he was someone definitely worth of attention. Then Birth sealed the deal for me and I started to listen to follow his work regularly. Since then, his career literally skyrocketed into Hollywood stardom, while continuing to keep one foot in European productions as well, to the point of becoming really the single favorite go-to composer for many talented directors and producers on both sides of the Atlantic. I think only Ennio Morricone has been able to achieve the same status in both industries. This is surely a sign of true talent.

Anyway, I really think Alexandre must be careful at this point of his career, as likely he will start to become even more requested by A LOT of people. Surely he already turns down many offers and really works just on the projects that truly interests him and with people he connects with. At the rate he's working, the risk of repetition is always behind the corner, added with the factor that some people could simply ask him to sound too much like himself, as it happened to Morricone--but what do I know? It's his golden moment and he's right to pick and choose what he feels good about. He's definitely a true composer who knows how to write good music.