The official Alexandre Desplat thread

IndieWire has published a new profile about Desplat, including comments from him about his more recent scores, Pinnochio, The French Dispatch... and Black Widow.

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/05/alexandre-desplat-interview-black-widow-pinocchio-french-dispatch-1202232702/

• 1 month later...

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/alexandre-desplat-score-wes-anderson-french-dispatch-cannes-interview-1234646811/

Great conversation between Desplat and Powell. What a treat. These are intelligent articulate artists - not charlatan hacks. They talk so sensibly about the process.

These are zoom chats. Surely Williams can do an hour long Zoom chat. When was the last time he did this long of an interview?

40 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/alexandre-desplat-score-wes-anderson-french-dispatch-cannes-interview-1234646811/

Great conversation between Desplat and Powell. What a treat. These are intelligent articulate artists - not charlatan hacks. They talk so sensibly about the process.

These are zoom chats. Surely Williams can do an hour long Zoom chat. When was the last time he did this long of an interview?

D1153910-6C4D-45B5-BE56-BA564CBA80E4.gif

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just own one soundtrack of Alexandre Desplat, Girl with the Pearl Earring, 5 Euro in a record store. The main theme reminded me annoingly of the main theme from Seven Years in Tibet. Then I was more disturbed than pleased by the score while watching Valerian. Listened a little bit to The Shape of Water, but didn't excite me.

Any recomendation for a Desplat newbie?

What is his best work in your oppinion?

2 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I just own one soundtrack of Alexandre Desplat, Girl with the Pearl Earring, 5 Euro in a record store. The main theme reminded me annoingly of the main theme from Seven Years in Tibet. Then I was more disturbed than pleased by the score while watching Valerian. Listened a little bit to The Shape of Water, but didn't excite me.

Any recomendation for a Desplat newbie?

What is his best work in your oppinion?

You already own it! But BIRTH and L'ENNEMI INTIME are also personal favs. And most of what he did with Audiard. And THE GHOST WRITER. I'm generally not a fan of Desplat's, but once in a while he does something pretty good. Mostly back in the day, though, not so much anymore.

Thank you very much, Thor. Good Inputs as always.

As I mentioned, TGwtPE is nice, but the main theme reminded me a little bit too much of Seven Years in Tibet.

I will give your proposals a listen.

Probably, I would be most interested in his rejected Rogue One score. But I am sure, that will never see the light of day. And I don't expect it to be very good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/6/2018 at 8:54 PM, toothless said:

Yeah no I could not send the picture as the network is weak in the concert hall. Speaking of which is a great venue. It’s the intermission and for now I can say that Valerian greatly benefits a live performance ! 

0C050557-FF89-4813-B02A-624AF0694C13.jpeg

Concert is recorded by the way. Audio and video . 

So I now know why this concert was recorded :D It's been broadcasted on Arte as part of the concert series. And it's available on youtube!

Enjoy :) 

• 5 months later...

For my taste this is too much chord driven and too little melody or theme driven. That kind of instrumental music bores me after a few minutes latest after the 20th loop of this four chord or if we are lucky eight chord sequence. Typical modern score issue.

• 2 months later...

Alexandre Desplat named Alex North's The Misfits his favorite film score ever.

Interviewer: Other than one of your own what is your favorite film score?

Alexandre Desplat: That’s a hard one too, but, The Misfits.

Interviewer: Why do you love it?

Alexandre Desplat: It’s a combination. It’s not just a score. I guess it’s how the score plays with the film. And how the score, written by Alex North, swings from a big band to a symphony orchestra. The melody is absolutely heartbreaking. [sings a little of the melody] And when you know, I mean, the aftermath of what happened to these actors after The Misfits is just so brilliant, it’s almost a premonition of Alex North to everything. This is such tragic music for three actors who will tragically die soon after.

On 15/09/2021 at 3:58 AM, GerateWohl said:

For my taste this is too much chord driven and too little melody or theme driven. That kind of instrumental music bores me after a few minutes latest after the 20th loop of this four chord or if we are lucky eight chord sequence. Typical modern score issue.

I understand this but in the film, I really did get a kick out of that incessant little groove that played throughout the third story 

It reminded me of that very similar bass line in Grand Budapest Hotel

It is basically the same old bag of tricks for the same kind of comic-action espionage setpieces but they are really fun in the movies. 

• 4 weeks later...

He kinda has a disappointingly awards-centric and box office centric view of his own oeuvre. 

What are his passion projects? Or does he only like stuff that got him accolades and money?

And he's one of the few Hollywood composers working across the world. Yet has a Hollywood centric view of his own work.

1 hour ago, TheUlyssesian said:

He kinda has a disappointingly awards-centric and box office centric view of his own oeuvre. 

What are his passion projects? Or does he only like stuff that got him accolades and money?

And he's one of the few Hollywood composers working across the world. Yet has a Hollywood centric view of his own work.

From interviews I've gotten the impression that Desplat's greatest idol is John Williams, often mentioning Star Wars and Harry Potter as examples of perfect film scores. So perhaps he is particularly proud of having succeeded in Hollywood?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Outfit was an example of the type of Desplat score I don't particularly enjoy -- though I will admit this cue is an earworm: 

• 4 weeks later...

Could be interesting. THE GHOST WRITER is one of Desplat's best scores. But I always thought it would have been cool if Polanski returned to Philippe Sarde at some point, although Sarde seems "semi-retired" at only 73.

• 4 months later...

I loved this very much.  I've seen several interviews with Desplat about working on Anderson movies, but this is the first one I think that was interviewing Anderson and Desplat together.  It's very interesting, even if it unfortunately had to be on Zoom.

• 3 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Aliandra said:

New Alexandre Desplat music:

Desplat normally doesn't do it for me but that was quite stirring stuff! Would happily explore a release of this.

I really hope that this gets a release. I know that some Zimmer & Howard Shore cues for this game were released a few years ago so it's not impossible that this could get released sometime in the future.

• 1 month later...