The official Alexandre Desplat thread

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Ok, that was pretty great! It's sorta like Desplat channeling Elfman in Desperate Housewive mode. Wherever he got his inspiration, I totally dig it.

• 3 weeks later...

Two concerts in Paris!

Orchestre de Paris / Alexandre Desplat
Grande salle Pierre Boulez - Philharmonie de Paris
duration: approx. 2 hours

29.01.2025, 8.00 p.m.

30.01.2025, 8.00 p.m.

Meeting with Alexandre Desplat

Salle de conférence - Philharmonie de Paris
duration: approx. 45 minutes

29.01.2025, 6.45 p.m.

Concert:

https://philharmoniedeparis.fr/fr/activite/concert-symphonique/27131-orchestre-de-paris-alexandre-desplat

Meeting:

https://philharmoniedeparis.fr/fr/activite/rencontre/27928-rencontre-avec-alexandre-desplat

PROGRAMME:

The Imitation Game
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
The King's Speech

The Tree of Life
Little Women

The Shape of Water
Fantastic Mr. Fox
The Grand Budapest Hotel

Paris Orchestra
Alexandre Desplat, conductor

It is a privilege to listen to Alexandre Desplat in person lead the Orchester de Paris in a fascinating anthology of his best scores : Desplat sorcery, which has seduced even Harry Potter, comes into action !  

Winner of two Oscars for the soundtracks of The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014) and The Shape of Water (2018), Alexandre Desplat is today one of the major figures in film composition. From Paris to Hollywood, we could almost exhaust ourselves listing the prestigious collaborations that have already punctuated his career, from Jacques Audiard to David Fincher, from Wes Anderson to Stephen Frears, via Peter Webber or Guillermo del Toro...

If the elite of the seventh art are fighting for it, it is because there is, in addition to a know-how which no longer needs to be demonstrated, a Desplat "paw", which imposes itself despite the scrupulous care that he focuses, above all else, on serving the world of the film entrusted to him. Capable of seducing, disquieting, bewitching in an ambiguous manner, intoxicating, galvanizing, Desplat's art merges with cinematographic narration, which does not prevent it, with its melodies in the bass register, its harmonies subtle and unstable its violent epic bursts, to remain eminently personal.

I like two of the titles on the programme - THE TREE OF LIFE and THE KING'S SPEECH. The rest leave me cold, I'm afraid. But good to see normal concerts (for other film composers than John Williams and Hans Zimmer) being performed still; not just those annoying LtP thingies.

After digging into some of his works from time to time I came to the conclusion, that I find his music rather boring when it comes to melodies and orchestral textures, but he is quite good at harmonies which can be really joyful at times.

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The Imitation Game is fun. 

Listened to this today during my workout. 

There is a theme, that appears in many tracks like "Mission" and "Running", that sounds like the little brother of "Scarborough Fair".

8 minutes ago, Thor said:

You and I have a very different opinion of what constitutes "fun". I find it to be an excruciatingly boring score.

I was only referring to the fun parts. The boring parts are boring. 

7 hours ago, Thor said:

those annoying LtP thingies.

The LTP concerts I've seen were great (seen Star Wars 4,5,6 and JP).

I don't see how you can qualify those to be "annoying" :huh: