The official Alexandre Desplat thread

I once asked a naysayer here (forget who it was) which scores he actually knew by AD; turns out he had listened to 2 or 3 scores, to american movies, bien sûr, and this thread cruises along similar waters.

Desplat surely has the tendency to come off a bit precious with his minimalist tendencies, little piano/glockenspiel waltzes etc. and often subtle thematic writing but even for brutes like hornist there's always something like the TWILIGHT love theme (a Williams love letter if there ever was one) or GOLDEN COMPASS or or or....the man has been endlessly productive so reading threads like this just makes me rolling my eyes (why spend time discovering something new if you can lovingly re-arrange to your 5-hour iTunes playlist of HARRY'S WONDROUS WORLD cover versions every second day?)

For our cosmic TGP i recommend CIRCLES - that is the closest his film work to mingle with his more abstract concert stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcqXD8mo0uM

Big fan of that one. The Painted Veil is another one I frequently return to.

Have you heard much of his concert music to compare to? Is there any beyond the flute concerto and the etudes?

Tree of Life is one my favourite Desplat scores, if not my favourite.

I used to be a Desplat naysayer too, often finding his sound too limited in its minimalist constructs. But I've come around this year. He's really shown his compositional chops and capacity to diversify his work. The one movement on the Montage CD also showed his promise in the concert hall as well.

I just wish Desplat would get more of an opportunity to push himself, like Tree of Life.

But let's be pragmatic here, Desplat writes like this because he understood how modern film music has to communicate - it's not the 70's or 80's anymore, even a dinosaur like Williams has found ways to adapt to this in the handful of scores he did outside of the pastiche stuff for Lucas/Spielberg and if you want to work steady you have to find ways to write a score in 3 to 5 weeks easily not sweat it out because you don't get the style.

I don't think every 'conventional' Desplat like IMITATION GAME necessarily needs to be showered with praise but then, with TREE OF LIFE and a lot of other stuff he did outside these boring Potter scores, there is enough beyond (if you aren't some Thor-like dickhead, of course, who finds every note Desplat ever has penned - heard or unheard - a nuisance as he never tires to tell us on most every occasion).

The best thing I heard from him so far was that excert from his flute "sinfonia concertante" that they played in London. More stuff like this!

One of his gifts, which stands in opposition to many composers working today, is the ability to withdraw and apply "less is more" approach to scoring. He knows what to do with film so that his unique stamp is heard/felt but film still can breathe. And he also seems to understand how sound mixing works in modern cinema so he doesn't compose music that will be misused later on. The result is that most of his work is mixed very well and can be heard, even though he rarely goes for loud writing. These are rare skills.

Karol

Yes the score has grown on me a lot since I first heard it and was not overly impressed. Actually that happens with Desplat scores a lot. It is zany fun and complements the film perfectly.

• 3 weeks later...
Some rumors say that Conrad Pope and Randy Kerber ghost-wrote a few sections of Troy (but that it's understandable, since it was a last-minute replacement).

Lior Rosner ghost-wrote Metropolis Mayhem for John Ottman in SUPERMAN RETURNS, while Conrad Pope orchestrated. Pope slyly credited himself as 'J. Schindler.'

The most successful pastiche of post-'97 JW action music I've yet heard. Giacchino, Verta, McNeely and co. have never written anything as close as this.

I'd like to get to know The Golden Compass. Is there a decent presentation, or just a crappy original album?

The original album is a decent presentation. It features about 80-85% of the score. I think you'll like it.

It's not that bad at all.

Indeed. It's decent.

The original album is a decent presentation. It features about 80-85% of the score. I think you'll like it.

It should be listened to on decent speakers, too. There is a lot of subtle-but-substantial orchestration and effects that tend to get lost when you only play it computer gear or similar. It's head and shoulders above POTTER.

It should be listened to on decent speakers, too. There is a lot of subtle-but-substantial orchestration and effects that tend to get lost when you only play it computer gear or similar. It's head and shoulders above POTTER.

Indeed, reading the score is what got me intrigued. Some very interesting colors. 8 flutes in one cue, I saw.

If we can't get Joel McNeely, this is actually great news. Desplat can do literally anything and do it decently. What his Potter scores lacked in twinkly Williams-esque magic was mostly a product, I think, of the films' tone, not a reflection of his ability to channel Williams when he wants to. Just listen to Monuments Men, Godzilla, Rise of the Guardians, The Fantastic Mr. Fox, and Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium in that order, with any of his Oscar-bait scores interspersed in between, and you'll agree that he's probably the most talented chameleon we've got.

And if nothing else, his Wes Anderson scores prove him the single composer most likely to write an appropriate successor to "Cantina Band"!

On a side note, anyone know what synths (soft or hard) Desplat uses? Re-listened to a bit of GODZILLA on Spotify today, and would love to know what he used on In the Jungle or Muto Hatch. Sui generis it ain't, but it packs a punch.

I don't understand when I listen to Monuments Men and Unbroken how he failed Harry Potter so badly

Am I the only here who likes Desplat's Potter scores? Incidentally, I'm not a fan of either of the scores you mentioned.

I don't understand when I listen to Monuments Men and Unbroken how he failed Harry Potter so badly

Am I the only here who likes Desplat's Potter scores? Incidentally, I'm not a fan of either of the scores you mentioned.

Never heard Unbroken or Monument's Men, but I too quite like Desplat's first Potter score. The second one I find a bit underwhelming, especially given its place as the final film in the series, but it works well enough in the film and Lily's Theme makes for a hell of an opener IMO.

Agreed on Part 1...oddly enough it's the more colorful, resonant, and even exciting of the two, though it's sort of telling that some of the score's biggest highlights went unused or wasted in the film.

• 4 weeks later...

Also he's announced two new projects: Roman Polanski's next film D and the Italian period fantasy The Tale of Tales: http://www.filmmusicreporter.com/2014/02/24/alexandre-desplat-to-score-roman-polanskis-d/

Trailer for Tale of Tales (no Desplat music):

Should make for a cool score!

• 4 weeks later...

Tale of Tales is getting...interesting responses out of Cannes (one critic called it Pier Paolo Pasolini meets Monty Python and the Holy Grail). Those who love it, love it, and Desplat's getting some good notices.

As a technical showcase, it’s never not opulent. Peter Suschitzky beautifully captures Dimitri Capuani’s rococo furnishings, on which he no doubt spent every dime he was offered; and Alexandre Desplat contributes a sweeping, very Desplatian score that notches up the grandeur further still.

http://www.ioncinema.com/reviews/tale-of-tales-review

The digital flourishes don’t always work (several CG-“enhanced” landscapes and a phony-looking tightrope rescue sequence border on eyesores), but Peter Suschitzky’s sweeping camera makes the most of gorgeous practical costumes and sets, while Alexandre Desplat’s score elevates the entire experience and further unifies the disparate threads.

http://variety.com/2015/film/festivals/tale-of-tales-review-cannes-film-festival-1201495163

• 2 months later...

There's a very particular use and sound Desplat gets out of his timpani, at least here in and Grand Budapest. Anyone know what it is? Is it synth? Are they recorded more usual to the mic or mixed louder than usual?

• 4 months later...