Which of these upcoming scores are you looking forward to the most?

Jay

Which of these upcoming scores are you looking forward to the most?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. 2010 (Second Half)

• Michael Giacchino - Let Me In (October 1)
    • Hans Zimmer - MegaMind (November 5)
    • John Powell - Fair Game (November 5)
    • Alexandre Desplat - Deathly Hallows I (November 19)
    • James Newton Howard - Love and Other Drugs (November 24)
    • Alexandre Desplat - The Tree Of Life (November)
    • David Arnold - The Voyage of The Dawn Treader (December 10)
    • Daft Punk - Tron Legacy (December 17)
    • Danny Elfman - Forbidden Zone 2: The Forbidden Galaxy
    • John Powell - Cat Tale
  2. 2. 2011 (First Half)

• Danny Elfman - The Green Hornet (January 14)
    • Danny Elfman - Restless (January 28)
    • James Newton Howard - Gnomeo And Juliet (February 11)
    • Alexandre Desplat - The Burma Conspiracy (February)
    • John Powell - Mars Needs Moms (March 11)
    • John Powell - Rio (April 8)
    • ? - The Three Musketeers (April 15)
    • Patrick Doyle - Thor (May 6)
    • Hans Zimmer - Pirates Of The Caribbean 4 (May 20)
    • Hans Zimmer & John Powell - Kung Fu Panda 2 (May 26)
    • James Newton Howard - Green Lantern (June 17)
    • Randy Newman - Cars 2 (June 24)
    • ? - Rise Of The Apes (June 24)
  3. 3. 2011 (Second Half)

• John Powell - Ice Age 4 (July 13)
    • ? - Deathly Hallows II (July 15)
    • John Powell - Winnie the Pooh (July 15)
    • ? - Captain America (July 22)
    • John Debney - Cowboys and Aliens (July 29)
    • ? - The Smurfs (August 3)
    • John Williams - War Horse (August 10)
    • ? - Breaking Dawn Part 1 (November 18)
    • John Powell - Happy Feet 2 (November 18)
    • Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible IV (December 16)
    • Hans Zimmer - Sherlock Holmes 2 (December 16)
    • John Williams - The Adventures of Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn (December 23)
    • James Newton Howard - Water For Elephants

The scores I'm looking forward to most for the rest of this year are Giacchino's Let Me In - just because his last 4-5 scores in a row have all been superb - and Deathly Hallows I - just to see what Desplat does with Williams' material. I'm also insanely curious to see if Arnold has another big epic score in him for Narnia 3.

First half of 2011 has nothing I'm specifically interested in, outside of the two Elfman scores (always interested in everything he does, though lately I don't end up liking most of it). Hopefully Thor and Green Lantern have cool superhero scores.

Second half of 2011 - obviously the 2 Williams scores, with TinTin WAY out front. Though if Williams ends up doing Deathly Hallows II, that would be my #1. Hopefully MI4 will be good as well.

If you had to pick ONE score out of all 36 choices that you are most looking forward to - what would you pick?

TinTin for me. Its so far away though!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader because David Arnold says it'll be in the ID4 vein.

Pirates 4 because Pirates music is so awsum.

War Horse because it's Williams but not Tintin.

Desplat's Deathly Hallows Part 1

Zimmer's Pirates of the Caribbean 4

Williams' Tintin

My most anticipated is easily Tintin, then War Horse, then Deathly Hallows.

I don't usually look forward to scores. I take an interest in a score once I hear it if I like it, even if it's John Williams. I probably shouldn't have even voted because my response was mostly, "meh." The only reason I'm a little excited for Harry Potter is because I'm hopeful there will be more of the stuff I love from HP 1-3 in Deathly Hallows. I only voted for Pirates 4 because I had to vote for something for my vote to register!

(In order)

From the second half of 2010:

- David Arnold - Narnia 3 (Arnold's back to bombastic! Hell yes!)

- Alexandre Desplat - Potter (As he respects Johnny's work, I trust him)

- John Powell - Fair Game (Reviews of the movie have praised the score as one of Powell's best)

- Hans Zimmer - Megamind (From the new trailer, I'm sure there will be lots of parodies of Williams work on Superman, so I'm interested to see what Zimmer does with a thematic score for a superhero film - even if it's a comic one)

From the first half of 2011:

- Patrick Doyle - Thor (This director-composer duo never dissapoints)

- Hans Zimmer - POTC 4 (I'm curious to see if the new director will want a more traditional pirate score)

From the second half of 2011:

- John Williams - Tintin (Hell yes!!!)

- John Williams - War Horse (I hope that for this one he doesn't use his typical americana stuff and tries something less american and more english sounding)

- ? - Potter II (Despite I hope that Williams will score it, I'm kinda sure he won't. And besides, maybe it's for the best)

- ? - Captain America (whoever does it, I'm sure the score will be awesome and thematically rich)

- John Debney - Cowboys and Aliens (is this one confirmed? Anyway, a classic western score + a sci-fi one can't go wrong! I hope that Favreau realises this and doesn't want to include rock music all over the place)

It will be two nice years for film-music :cool:

- Hans Zimmer - POTC 4 (I'm curious to see if the new director will want a more traditional pirate score)

Why? It's an established franchise. "A more traditional pirate score" would be out of place.

My Allegiance poll is skewed. No one voted for " I 'm primarily a Michael Giacchino fan but I have nowhere else to post" but chose MI4 above Tintin or Warhorse. MI4???

2010- Arnold's Dawn Treader, just barely over Giacchino as Desplat's Potter. Mostly because I'm hopeful of a return of Arnold to his bombastic, blockbuster form, I don't know how good a musical vehicle Let Me In will be, and I'm still a Desplat virgin (though with all the good things said about him lately I'm looking forward to Potter being my first taste of what he can do).

2011- Nothing grabs me the first half, unless someone good gets attached to The Three Musketeers. The second half, Williams right now, but that could change if Giacchino gets the Captain America gig. Can't remember if that was rumored before or if we were just wishing it.

but that could change if Giacchino gets the Captain America gig.

Which will turn out to be disappointing if he does get it. Like Star Trek is all right judged on it's own but a gigantic disappointment vs Goldsmith's TMP or Horner's ST2.

Which will turn out to be disappointing if he does get it. Like Star Trek is all right judged on it's own but a gigantic disappointment vs Goldsmith's TMP or Horner's ST2.

Um, all of the Star Trek franchise film scores are disappointments when compared to TMP and STII. These are among the finest movie film scores made by either composer in their entire career, or by anyone. Goldsmith never topped TMP in the franchise, Horner never topped STII in the franchise, and Williams never wrote a Star Trek score. Disappointed? No. We know this, we accept it, we like the other scores, and we move on.

But how many movies in the Captain America movie franchise would we have to compare Michael Giacchino's anticipated score to? Two. Will anyone compare it to Mort Glickman's score from 1944 or Barry Goldberg's 1990 score? No.

Um, all of the Star Trek franchise film scores are disappointments when compared to TMP and STII.

I had the hopes, before Star Trek came out,that Giacchino could prove himself worthy of composing something as great as TMP or ST2. That is why I have been hard on him ever since. Star Trek is not bad but he could not produce an "iconic' score. It's only less worse than most other current composers of action films would have done.

To prove himself as the next great composer , for Captain America Giacchino would have to do something as good as Superman The movie or Batman 1989. But it's going to be something that doesn't suck as much as whatever Alan Silvestri or John Debney write these days

You set the bar too high. If Horner and Goldsmith couldn't top their entry efforts, and Rosenman's, Eidelmann's, and McCarthy's scores are generally glossed over, what were you expecting?

Expecting Michael G. to compose a score in 2009 as great as one in the same franchise from 1979 or 1982 would be like...

...like expecting John Williams to write a score in 1999 for a movie in the same franchise as great as one from 1977. It couldn't be done!

You set the bar too high. If Horner and Goldsmith couldn't top their entry efforts, and Rosenman's, Eidelmann's, and McCarthy's scores are generally glossed over, what were you expecting?

Expecting Michael G. to compose a score in 2009 as great as one in the same franchise from 1979 or 1982 would be like...

But he NEEDS a truly ICONIC score to deserve the praise he gets around here. When he does that I'll jump on the bandwagon. Winning an Oscar for Up! doesn't cut it(I think he won by default )

...like expecting John Williams to write a score in 1999 for a movie in the same franchise as great as one from 1977. It couldn't be done!

Of course he still does from time to time, but that's another debate. TPM,HPSS,HPPoA,RotS stand with the best of them

I was definitely not expecting Giacchino to top any of the old scores, but I was expecting something from the same kind of universe as Goldsmith's or maybe Horner's material. Regardless of how the movie turned out (I won't get into my feelings here), it was STAR TREK for Christ's sake. What I got was a very modern-sounding score with a theme that I simply did not appreciate. It's downright MV-sounding at points. And the problem is the theme is so damn prevalent that you're pretty much screwed if you don't like it. I thought the lack of the Courage fanfare and then the weird execution of it near the end was downright offensive. You all got the limited ultimate edition, great, but I'm still not into it.

I like Gia's Star Trek OK, but I am still waiting for him to knock my friggin' socks off. I'm not ruling out that he one day will, but he hasn't yet. I'm with KM on this.

I think Star Trek was a good score. Does it pale in comparison to the other Star Trek scores I've heard? Yes, but I think that when evaluating Giacchino as a composer it's important to realize that it pales in comparison to other Giacchino scores. In fact, of the 6 Giacchino scores I've heard, I might rank Star Trek as the least good (worst doesn't do the score justice).

About the theme: I definitely hear the MV influence, especially as heard in the opening statement. But there are a lot of points throughout the score where I don't hear as strong an influence (most of the bold action variations, and the nice string variation in "Hella Bar Talk").

I know how some of you feel, I was hoping Williams would knock my socks off in 1999, 2002 and 2005 like he did in 1977, 1980 and 1983, but..........................

It's downright MV-sounding at points.

I still don't get that.

I know, I find it insulting to Michael Giacchino.

As for the choices, well the first half I went with Michael Giacchino's Let Me In.

After that I'd say Arnold's Narnia, but I'm apprehensive he'll lean too much on the techno too much like he has the past 12 years. I'm somewhat optimistic about Desplat's Potter.

The second section contains what could be a bunch of dull film scores but I'm actually curious to hear Doyle's Thor.

The third section has some meat to it. Williams' Tintin is the top one followed by Giacchino's MI:IV and Williams' War Horse, if it even gets made.

Although I'm looking forward to next week when a score that is better than all those listed will start shipping. :(

I really like the score to Star Trek (2009). However, I can agree with the comment that it sounds like an MV score at times. The opening music is in D minor - almost every MV score rapes this key into our ears. The simplicity - it's not deceptively simple, it's basic and simple - of the themes and motifs resemble a MV score. Though, because I know Giacchino has the ability to write more complex/interesting music, I let it slide. Most of the MV guys have yet to prove this to me. I will say that I had more negative comments upon my initial listen of the score when it was first released. As a composer (working on my degree), I know it's unfair for me to judge Michael on the merit that he didn't write the score that I wanted him to write. That would be insane. Remember that, people. I didn't really have any preconceptions about material, specific or generic, that I would have liked to hear.

There are things that I like, love, dislike and even, perhaps, hate throughout the score. As a whole piece, I was satisfied. But, the MV comments do have their place. I really enjoy Giacchino's work, and look forward to his future scores, including Star Trek II.

As a side note, I will say that any negative thoughts I had collected during my first listen were blown out of my ear (not permanently) when the End Credits track began to play. I really love the treatment of Courage's theme. I wonder what his thoughts would be on the score, particularly the homage at the end. Oh, Sandy... :(

For this year, I voted for Arnold. But I'm also really looking forward to Alan Menken's Tangled (even despite the Kristen Chenoweth > Mandy Moore downgrade). No doubt Powell and Giacchino will deliver though, and I'm curious about Daft Punk. Have not heard enough Desplat to get too excited, but I do like what I have heard, and I'm sure he'll do great.

Next, I might have to say Rio, based on the awesomeness of How to Train Your Dragon. But I too am curious about Thor.

And then, of course, Tintin. But Captain America could be great with the right composer. Anxious to see who will land that one.

But he NEEDS a truly ICONIC score to deserve the praise he gets around here. When he does that I'll jump on the bandwagon. Winning an Oscar for Up! doesn't cut it(I think he won by default )

Nobody wins an Oscar by default! Ok, maybe in short topic foreign language animated documentary, but not for best score. Even if I'm wrong, certainly Up did not win by default. I'm by no means a Giacchino defender (I had no idea who he was until very recently), but the first 15 minutes of Up practically deserve a lifetime achievement award when paired with the images on the screen.

Although I'm looking forward to next week when a score that is better than all those listed will start shipping. :(

I know it, I haven't bought a new score at all this year, just new releases of old stuff.

Nobody wins an Oscar by default! Ok, maybe in short topic foreign language animated documentary, but not for best score. Even if I'm wrong, certainly Up did not win by default. I'm by no means a Giacchino defender (I had no idea who he was until very recently), but the first 15 minutes of Up practically deserve a lifetime achievement award when paired with the images on the screen.

Now there's an overstatement. Giacchino scored one scene very well and he's automatically the best composer in the world?

I think he's shown talent in his orchestration that puts him a cut above most others, but Star Trek has something odd about it that screams of director influence. I think there's too much of that going around to really tell how good someone can really write.

This isn't much fair. How can you expect any self-respecting J.W. fan to vote for anything other than "Warhorse", and "Tin-Tin"? That aside, the score I'm most looking forward to hearing, Daft Punk's music for "TR2N". Wendy Carlos provided a striking score for "TRON", and I am very curious to hear how Daft Punk carries the baton forward. "TR2N", incidentally, is the film I am most looking forward to, even more so than "D.H." (either part), "War Horse", or "Tin-Tin", though both have casts to die for.

BTW, my choice is Tin Tin.

And the difference in quality between ST:TMP and ST 2009 scores is (WAY) wider than SW and TPM.

Saying otherwise is insulting to both Williams AND Goldsmith.

Rise of the Apes? Real original title. What's next? Revenge of the Apes? Apes: Resurrection? Apes Return?

Is it possible to have a modern-day prequel, set in-between "Battle For The POTA", and the '68 original?

I would very much like to see a live-action version of "Stop The POTA, I Want To Get Off".

I hate every ape I see, from chimpan-A to chimpanzee,

No, you'll never make a monkey out of me!

O my God! I was wrong! It was Earth, all along!

You've finally made a monkey (Yes we've finally made a monkey)

Yes you've finally made a monkey out of me!

I love you, Dr. Zaius!

I hate every ape I see, from chimpan-A to chimpanzee,

No, you'll never make a monkey out of me!

O my God! I was wrong! It was Earth, all along!

You've finally made a monkey (Yes we've finally made a monkey)

Yes you've finally made a monkey out of me!

I love you, Dr. Zaius!

:D

Rise of the Apes? Real original title. What's next? Revenge of the Apes? Apes: Resurrection? Apes Return?

Is it possible to have a modern-day prequel, set in-between "Battle For The POTA", and the '68 original?

I would very much like to see a live-action version of "Stop The POTA, I Want To Get Off".

Isn't this basically a remake of the 4th POTA film?

I lost interest after the 3rd film.

I believe the 5th or 6 one looked like it was shot in my backyard, using some rubber masks.

Ah, that would be "Battle" you're thinking of. I really like all of the Apes films. "Conquest" is really terrific, despite the low budget.

I believe the 5th or 6 one looked like it was shot in my backyard, using some rubber masks.

How do we know it wasn't?

So War Horse is actually happening. Cool, I honestly thought we'd never see two new Williams scores come out in the same year again.

But if Giacchino does Captain America that'll still be my most anticipated. :D

How do we know it wasn't?

Could be, my house is over 50 years old.

That's longer than I lasted. I said goodbye when the nuclear cult in the second movie started getting wacky, or something like that.

Other than Tintin, I'm not really actively looking forward to anything specific. I will keep my eye on some things though, especially Deathly Hallows.

James Newton Howard's Green Lantern interests me as well; since hearing Unbreakable (one of his best scores) I've thought it would be great for him to do a big superhero film by himself.

Now there's an overstatement. Giacchino scored one scene very well and he's automatically the best composer in the world?

I think he's shown talent in his orchestration that puts him a cut above most others, but Star Trek has something odd about it that screams of director influence. I think there's too much of that going around to really tell how good someone can really write.

I never said he's the best composer in the world, I just said he deserved the Oscar (admittedly I was a bit hyperbolic). I have no opinion of him outside of Up because I've never listened to any of his other scores.

2010:

Deathly Hollows Part I

2011:

Pirates Of The Caribbean 4 and The Adventures of Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn

Tough choices here. For the first poll I chose Desplat's Tree Of Life. Even though the film is not coming out this year, I'm excited to see how Desplat and Malick got along.

For the second poll I chose Zimmer's and Powell's re-teaming for Kung Fu Panda: The Kaboom Of Doom. Their score for the first was nothing short of awesomeness, and I can't wait to hear what they bring to the table this time.

For the third I voted for Williams' War Horse.

Honorable mentions go to all other Zimmer and Powell scores, all Howard scores, and all Giacchino scores. Eh, pretty much everything in this poll aside from some Arnold and Debney.

• 6 months later...