Best Williams Score of the 1970's!

55 members have voted

1. 1. Best Williams Score of the 1970's!

• The Cowboys
    • The Poseidon Adventure
    • Images
    • The Long Goodbye
    • The Sugarland Express
    • Earthquake
    • The Towering Inferno
    • Jaws
    • The Eiger Sanction
    • Family Plot
    • The Missouri Breaks
    • Midway
    • Black Sunday
    • Star Wars
    • Close Encounters of the Third Kind
    • The Fury
    • Jaws 2
    • Superman - The Movie
    • Dracula

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jaws Superman Star Wars Towering Inferno all terrific 5 star scores

Jaws Superman Star Wars Towering Inferno all terrific 5 star scores

But you can choose only one.

You must choose...wisely.

and I did, the first title in the sentence.

Black Sunday is nothing special, koray, not then, not now. Please try to take Steef's poll a little seriously. It's like you deliberately chose the least significant, least relevant one, so that you would be original. Come on!

Black Sunday is nothing special, koray, not then, not now. Please try to take Steef's poll a little seriously. It's like you deliberately chose the least significant, least relevant one, so that you would be original. Come on!

don't worry about him he thinks Munich is a great score,

don't worry about him he thinks Munich is a great score,

Not only that, it's my favorite Williams score!

Black Sunday is a fantastic score.

Tough choice to make.

I have to go with Star Wars since that got me going.

Jaws & CE3K would have also been correct answers.

And I think Alex is right about Koray's motive.

I've repeatedly said on this board that I don't listen to Star Wars, Jaws, or Indiana Jones. JW's most popular scores are the ones I like the least. I'm not trying to start anything, I just don't gravitate towards franchises, both films and scores.

And Black Sunday was a grail of mine, and I usually don't have any.

Black Sunday is a fantastic score.

It's no Star Wars, Jaws, Superman or CE3K though.

And I think Alex is right about Koray's motive.

I've repeatedly said on this board that I don't listen to Star Wars, Jaws, or Indiana Jones. JW's most popular scores are the ones I like the least. I'm not trying to start anything, I just don't gravitate towards franchises, both films and scores.

I know, I know! Although I'm probably not the only one here unable to get my head around it ;)

I love most of them and I do like all of them. But there is only one option for me: Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Absolutely transcendental as far as Williams' artistry goes.

Karol

I know, right? I actually didn't even have Star Wars until earlier this year. :D

Before that I wasn't really in much of a position to make frequent purchases.

Now that my freelance work has more consistently picked up, I've been filling in some gaps.

Focusing on limited editions at the moment.

I'll probably grab Black Sunday, Images, or Amazing Stories III next.

A Guide for the Married Man will be arriving in my latest order sometime this week.

Of these the only album I own is Star Wars (plus the themes from a half-dozen others). Based on my lukewarm reception to what I've heard of the others, I can't bring myself to invest in the entire album (though I readily admit you can't judge an album by its most popular tracks or even by what you pick up watching the movie). Most of the Williams I like is from the 80s and 90s, with some from the 2000s. Once I own all the albums I'm actually interested in, maybe I'll go back and give the 70s a chance.

How bad is it that I only own Star Wars and Superman out of all these?

You really gotta get CE3K and Jaws, above all else.

The '70s was, from an artistic standpoint, a rather impoverished decade for film scoring. For one, Hans Zimmer was yet to arrive on the scene. Two, Williams was still a very, very immature composer. At the time, he actually believed that individual cues were supposed to have discernible narrative direction and momentum, and he stamped them rather shamelessly with a clear filmic identity. Fortuntately, the years have been kind to Williams, and he has shed his music of such misguided notions. He finally understands that true film music is about the triumph of technique over storytelling, about style over heart.

I love most of them and I do like all of them. But there is only one option for me: Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Absolutely transcendental as far as Williams' artistry goes.

Karol

Indeed. I too think Close Encounters is the obvious choice. Jane Eyre should be an option too, though

The '70s was, from an artistic standpoint, a rather impoverished decade for film scoring. For one, Hans Zimmer was yet to arrive on the scene. Two, Williams was still a very, very immature composer. At the time, he actually believed that individual cues were supposed to have discernible narrative direction and momentum, and he stamped them rather shamelessly with a clear filmic identity. Fortuntately, the years have been kind to Williams, and he has shed his music of such misguided notions. He finally understands that true film music is about the triumph of technique over storytelling, about style over heart.

Thanks. I needed that.

Karol

Indeed. I too think Close Encounters is the obvious choice. Jane Eyre should be an option too, though

It is quite odd that Jane Eyre is not in the poll, but The Long Goodbye (!) is

i have to vote star wars

Why did you "have" to vote for "Star Wars"? I did not "have" to vote for what I voted for, I voted for it because it is my favourite J.W. score.

Karol

It is quite odd that Jane Eyre is not in the poll, but The Long Goodbye (!) is

Good point. Why no "Pete 'n' Tillie", or "Cinderella Liberty", or "Thomas And The King", or "The Paper Chase", or "Conrack"? Also, and although it was recorded in 1969, "The Reivers" was released in 1970, so it should be included.

I'm sure he tried to pick the 20 most popular, and as he mentioned in the first post there is a 20-choice limit on this board's software. But, "The Long Goodbye"? Really?

How bad is it that I only own Star Wars and Superman out of all these?

You really gotta get CE3K and Jaws, above all else.

Indeed. Jaws is a no-brainer.

I've yet to warm to Close Encounters.

I have The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration but I can't say the suite at the end does much for me.

However, I usually don't enjoy compilation albums that much anyway, preferring the context of the original scores.

So I imagine -- indeed, hope -- my opinion could easily be changed.