Best Williams Score of the 1970's!

55 members have voted

1. 1. Best Williams Score of the 1970's!

• The Cowboys
    • The Poseidon Adventure
    • Images
    • The Long Goodbye
    • The Sugarland Express
    • Earthquake
    • The Towering Inferno
    • Jaws
    • The Eiger Sanction
    • Family Plot
    • The Missouri Breaks
    • Midway
    • Black Sunday
    • Star Wars
    • Close Encounters of the Third Kind
    • The Fury
    • Jaws 2
    • Superman - The Movie
    • Dracula

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted unsurprisingly. Star Wars all the way.

I've yet to warm to Close Encounters.

I have The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration but I can't say the suite at the end does much for me.

However, I usually don't enjoy compilation albums that much anyway, preferring the context of the original scores.

So I imagine -- indeed, hope -- my opinion could easily be changed.

Get the complete score. If you hate it you've wasted ten bucks. If you realise that the entire score heard in context is one of the highlights of Mr Williams' career, and is extremely exciting and beautiful, then even better!

i have to vote star wars

Why did you "have" to vote for "Star Wars"? I did not "have" to vote for what I voted for, I voted for it because it is my favourite J.W. score.

Speak for yourself. The Force ghost of Obi-Wan came to me and told me if I didn't vote for Star Wars the Death Star would destroy the planet.

I voted unsurprisingly. Star Wars all the way.

I've yet to warm to Close Encounters.

I have The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration but I can't say the suite at the end does much for me.

However, I usually don't enjoy compilation albums that much anyway, preferring the context of the original scores.

So I imagine -- indeed, hope -- my opinion could easily be changed.

Get the complete score. If you hate it you've wasted ten bucks. If you realise that the entire score heard in context is one of the highlights of Mr Williams' career, and is extremely exciting and beautiful, then even better!

It took me 25 years to truly fall in love with CE3K. The Varese OST was always good, but to truly understand the evolution of the score, you must have the complete version. It just suddenly clicked into place for me.

I've never heard of this "Star Wars." Are you referring to Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope?

:)

The obvious correct answer is Images. It's why we're all here, why we all love film music in the first place.

I have yet to remove mine from its shrink wrap. I only bought it four or five CD purchases ago, there's no reason to open it so soon.

I voted for The Poseidon Adventure because the last thing I want to gain here is credibility.

I plan to. The complete score on the Arista album goes for a bit more than ten bucks though (unless I just get the MP3 album).

It took me 25 years to truly fall in love with CE3K. The Varese OST was always good, but to truly understand the evolution of the score, you must have the complete version. It just suddenly clicked into place for me.

Good to hear. :)

Not that it took you 25 years, but you know what I mean.

If its not complete, its not enough

It depends on how good the other tracks are and if it fits with the listening experience. I do not own for every soundtrack a complete score. Sometimes an expanded, sometimes a highlight album of 45 min. Otherwise it is musical nonsense!

It depends on how good the other tracks are and if it fits with the listening experience. I do not own for every soundtrack a complete score. Sometimes an expanded, sometimes a highlight album of 45 min. Otherwise it is musical nonsense!

every soundtrack i own i look for the complete score because for films i own i like to re-live the scenes in my head with the music playing, with films i dont own i just listen to them for emotional musical awesomeness and thats why i own the complete TOD and ROTLA scores

every soundtrack i own i look for the complete score because for films i own i like to re-live the scenes in my head with the music playing, with films i dont own i just listen to them for emotional musical awesomeness and thats why i own the complete TOD and ROTLA scores

If I wanted to re-live the scenes in my head, then I go and watch the movie. For me, it makes no sense to re-live it; too bad some critics and other listeners critizes film scores not to developed for concert music. And that's a reason, why film music is a fringe group. But in the case of John Williams, many scores of him are well-developed for concert. The Star Wars Scores - e.g. - are more like an opera. That's a reason, why it must be presented as an complete score!

But many film scores have short cues (10 sec, ca.) and if you listen to it step by step, it would be boring, although(!) you re-live the scences.

Best example is CLEOPATRA by Alex North. Uff, after all those short cues in CD1, I listen the CD to the middle then I stopped. And my lust goes downhill.

But if you are happy with that, then it is Ok.

The Arista Collectors Edition is NOT the complete score!

Good to know. But it's still the most complete, isn't it?

And my lust goes downhill.
I just had to see that as its own post.

:lol:

i have to vote star wars

Why did you "have" to vote for "Star Wars"? I did not "have" to vote for what I voted for, I voted for it because it is my favourite J.W. score.

Speak for yourself. The Force ghost of Obi-Wan came to me and told me if I didn't vote for Star Wars the Death Star would destroy the planet.

Riiiiiiiiiiight.

The obvious correct answer is Images. It's why we're all here, why we all love film music in the first place.

Great answer, dude!

Or perhaps it's just an honest omission.

Jane Eyre is a TV score, I was listing ONLY his motion picture scores.

Actually, you posteed "score". You did not differentiate. Why no "The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing"?

i have to vote star wars

When did obi-wan gain control over the Imperial weapon codenamed "The Death Star"?

i have to vote star wars

When did obi-wan gain control over the Imperial weapon codenamed "The Death Star"?

November 5th, 1955.

i have to vote star wars

November 5th, 1955.

GREAT SCOTT!!!!! (this is heavy).

I'm truly tempted to say Close Encounters of the Third Kind, but I don't have enough familiarity with the score, nor have I seen the film yet. Star Wars is thus my pick.

I'm actually shocked to realize I have very little '70s Williams, also. I've got the '97 release of Star Wars, the Blue Box release of Superman: The Movie, and the LaLaLand Records The Poseidon Adventure--and that's it. :lol: I'm mildly ashamed.

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND ia also a very good choice. Even music critics claims that this one is Williams' best.

I have to think about it myself, which is really better; more original is definetly CLOSE ENCOUNTERS. STAR WARS has the handicap of comprising classical music parts, as well as some film score parts to temp-track. But I listen to STAR WARS more than CLOSE ENCOUNTERS, so that's a reason why I choose STAR WARS.

And a big challenge is also JAWS, so it is not easy to vote. To be objective, I think it is CLOSE ENCOUNTERS.

Maybe that's why there's something wrong with the earth's gravitational pull...

Superman

No kidding. ;)

I'm truly tempted to say Close Encounters of the Third Kind, but I don't have enough familiarity with the score, nor have I seen the film yet. Star Wars is thus my pick.I'm actually shocked to realize I have very little '70s Williams, also. I've got the '97 release of Star Wars, the Blue Box release of Superman: The Movie, and the LaLaLand Records The Poseidon Adventure--and that's it. :( I'm mildly ashamed.

Just think of all the great music we still have to look forward to. :eek:

I have and the cynic in me ends up concluding that such a thing would never materialize. Maybe someday it shall, if we live long enough to see Williams pass on. I can imagine it, though. Disc 1: Sugarland Express.

Wow, yea!

For films: The Secret Ways, The Killers, The Rare Breed, Heidi, Earthquake, Sugarland Express, Jaws, Eiger Sanction, Family Plot, Midway, Jaws 2, 1941, Dracula, Heartbeeps, E.T., The River, Born On the Fourth Of July, Always, Far And Away, Jurassic Park, Schindler's List, The Lost World

For TV: Amazing Stories, ? not sure what else

We may also be without the film version of the Special Edition mother ship scene. That segment is on Pops in Space and it WAS recorded with the Boston Pops, but I have no idea if it's the film version. We still need it edited into the score proper. The original album arrangement has its fans, like me, and it could use some intense remastering. There's at least one alternate in there that I can tell, The Conversation. Plus, it contains the film version of the finale. There's source music missing. A first conversation with the craft before the mother ship arrives. I wonder if the chant or Barry playing the tone on his little kiddie xylophone would ever be included on a complete release. :)

The Close Encounters soundtracks have been out-of-print for years now. I wondered if it would have been re-released alongside the ultimate Blu-ray/DVD. To date, nada.

Close Encounters definitely deserves the "The Fury" / "Alien" treatment: Complete Score on Disc 1, the original 1977 LP on Disc 2, followed by additional alternates, source music, and the 1980 "Inside the Mothership" piece.

E.T. deserves this treatment as well.