Clash of the titans

STORM

What does everyone think of the score to new clash of the titans? i saw the film at weekend and thought the score sounded to hans zimmerish at times,nothing really themeatic just nothing really,or thou yet to hear it on its own,but i know i would`nt like it much anyway,give me the old one anyday that is a good score.

I'm not wasting my time with the new Clash movie, however I did give the score a listen when it was first released and found it to be the same tedious Zimmerish sounding music that comes out of his stable of composers.

If you want a good Clash score, track down Laurence Rosenthal's music to the original.

Yep i agree about tedious,i thought it was going to have wailing voices in it ,now that would of completely destroyed it for me.I`ve been trying to get hold of the original score,but i kow its pretty rare but i`ll get it one day.

I loved the main theme, particularly in "Perseus." I think this score was unjustifiably slammed when it first came out as a "Zimmer clone" (which itself is a boring argument). If you can get over the lack of originality, it's a very melodic score! Sure it falls under the same 'sound' as King Arthur and Transformers 2, but it's still a worthy score -- and it works perfectly in the film! I would recommend it to Zimmer fans with open minds :lol:

I loved the main theme, particularly in "Perseus." I think this score was unjustifiably slammed when it first came out as a "Zimmer clone" (which itself is a boring argument). If you can get over the lack of originality, it's a very melodic score! Sure it falls under the same 'sound' as King Arthur and Transformers 2, but it's still a worthy score -- and it works perfectly in the film! I would recommend it to Zimmer fans with open minds :lol:

Yeah, I am a Zimmer fan with an open mind towards most of his proteges' work, and I hated it.

If you want a good Clash score, track down Laurence Rosenthal's music to the original.

Didn't John Barry write a score for "Clash..."? If so, what happened to it?

No.

He was originally scheduled to score the film, I believe his name can be seen on some early teaser posters. For whatever reason he left the project and Rosenthal replaced him. I'm not a 100% sure but there was also a rumor Harryhausen and the producers wanted John Williams and he recommended Rosenthal, much like what happened with Meteor.

No.

He was originally scheduled to score the film, I believe his name can be seen on some early teaser posters. For whatever reason he left the project and Rosenthal replaced him. I'm not a 100% sure but there was also a rumor Harryhausen and the producers wanted John Williams and he recommended Rosenthal, much like what happened with Meteor.

Thanks for clearing that up, Mark, as I do remember seeing John Barry's name on a teaser poster. :thumbup:

• 9 years later...

On 3/15/2010 at 11:18 AM, Naïve Old Fart said:

Didn't "Clash of the Titans" (1981) have a score by John Barry?

On 8/5/2010 at 9:26 AM, Naïve Old Fart said:

On 3/6/2018 at 5:29 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

Also nice. Now...any chance of John Barry's rejected score being released?

On 3/14/2018 at 6:59 AM, Naïve Old Fart said:

Nice.

Is John Barry's rejected score available?

On 12/4/2019 at 1:38 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

I take it that CLASH OF THE TITANS is the Rosenthal score? 

Is the John Barry rejected score available?

@Naïve Old Fart, I have big news for you!

Hey everybody,

John Barry's demos from CLASH OF THE TITANS can be heard on the latest Harryhausen podcast.

15 minutes recorded in August 1980.

Sounds to like 'Heroic 1' was reworked into Legend of the Lone Ranger. No, it doesn't have a Western vibe, and it's not exactly the Legend melody, but you can hear melodic and rhythmic ideas that seem to have been reworked into that. I have no doubt it would have worked when fully orchestrated.

https://soundcloud.com/rayharryhausenfoundation/episode-30-the-music-of-ray-harryhausen-vol-5-clash-of-the-titans

Cheers

Start times for the demos:

6:48 in ("Heroic 1"; not heard in full)
1:27:10 ("Andromeda"; not heard in full)
1:28:43 ("Persius Growing Up"; not heard in full)
1:30:49 ("Scorpion"; not heard in full).

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=138713&forumID=1&archive=0

4 hours ago, Jay said:

I have to say @Naïve Old Fart, I thought you'd have more to say about this

More to say, have I?

I've been very busy, lately, but I've just now listened to the tracks.

Ok, how does one compare a rejected score, to the score used in the film? It's easy to say "I understand why it was rejected", but that's because we have heard the used score. At that time, Rosenthal wasn't on the scene. All they had was Barry.

Anyone who days "Sorry, but it's not working", to anybody, is seen as a bit of a betrayer. The fact is, they put Barry's music up against the images, and it didn't marry. The demos sound nice, and maybe they would have worked in another film (it once took JG three goes to get his score onto the screen). This doesn't mean that Barry's music doesn't have merit, just that Harryhausen, and Schneer didn't think it was right, for the film. Perhaps if they had stayed with Barry, he might have come through.

Just because a demo doesn't sound "right" for a film, it doesn't mean that it won't sound "right", in the end. Goodness knows what Campbell, and Broccoli thought, when they first GOLDENEYE, yet it's a good score, setting itself against the images, not aligning itself with them. In the end, it was an intelligent, if esoteric, choice.

Yeah, his score was said "take a hike", to. I think it was a missed opportunity, but I'm just a film music fan, so what do I know?

Interesting question, Jay. If they were complete, orchestrated cues, I might be able to pass comment on them. What we have here, however, are rough charcoal sketches, and not full color paintings. They are embryos. Having said that, any music by the greatest, most famous, and most celebrated English film composer ever, however "rough" it sounds, is worth hearing :)