Sherlock (BBC)

Melange

Just finished re-watching this series last night. It really is top quality stuff. Is there a release date yet for series yet or are we just assuming an early 2014 release?

I could very well believe it not premiering until the first week of January 2014 in the UK.

For sure though, it will be on PBS here in the US after they air season 4 of Downton Abbey.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The chemistry between Freeman and Cumberbatch is, for me anyway, what makes the show so good. Why would you want to mess with that?

• 3 weeks later...

Confirmed for a January 19th release of Season 3 in the US (UK will get it first but still no confirmed date)

January 19th? So they are going to air it BEFORE Downton Abbey season 4? Wow!

No, Downton starts on January 3, and will be paired together starting on the 19.

If I had to guess, I would probably air starting on January 1 in the Uk, that way it would finish just before it hits our side of the pond/

On a wednesday?

Well, Sherlock premiered on Jan 1 last time, so I see no reason to think they won't do it again.

It is baffling why PBS wouldn't just wait to show Sherlock when Downton finishes, to spread out their shows, but perhaps they have a pledge drive during that time and want to maximize their potential (that or they don't want the Sherlock ratings to hurt from people who download it).

• 2 weeks later...

1397409_659708957382859_1984766578_o.jpg

*EXCLUSIVE* The first official image from series three of #Sherlock, coming soon to BBC One

"It's been a long time since Sherlock Holmes jumped off that roof - it's time to reveal the truth about what happened between him and the pavement" - Steven Moffat.

The question on everyone's lips will finally be answered when Sherlock returns with three brand new action-packed adventures. How did he do it? And how will John take the news that his best friend faked his own death? What will Sherlock think when he finds out John has fallen in love with Mary Morstan?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=659708957382859&set=a.500946183259138.112990.470911516262605&type=1

The first chance to see the new series of Sherlock will occur this year.

On Sunday December 15 2013 at 13:00GMT, the British Film Institute will show S3E1: The Empty Hearse in a public screening at the National Film Theatre on London's Southbank, ahead of the yet to be announced first television airing in the UK on the BBC. The premiere will be followed by a Q&A with members of the cast and crew who will be in attendance.

The BFI listing also carries the first synopsis for the opening episode of the new series:

Two years after the devastating events of 'The Reichenbach Fall', John appears to have got on with his life. New horizons and romance beckon. But, with London under threat of a devastating terrorist attack, Sherlock is about to take John at his word, staging his resurrection with all the theatricality that comes so naturally to him. If Sherlock thinks everything will be just as he left it, though, he's in for a very big surprise...

Public Tickets are set to go sale on November 12 2013 at 11:30GMT.

BFI members can book from November 6 2013 at 11:30GMT.

The screening is effectively a repeat of the premiere of S2E1: A Scandal in Belgravia, which premiered at the BFI on December 7 2011, almost a month before the first television airing on January 1 2012. Tickets for that event sold out within hours of being released.

http://www.sherlockology.com/news/2013/11/5/sherlock-s3e1-bfi-premiere-51113

So I guess it won't air in the UK or the US until January then

Well, we know when it'll start in the US. I suspect the BBC will want to wait until after the busy holiday season and kick off the new year again with Sherlock like they did in 2012. So I'm guessing the BBC will air The Empty Hearse in the first weekend of January.

• 3 weeks later...

I dunno, just didn't do anything for me. And we've already seen Watson with the moustache and Sherlock looking out over London, shoulda given us something new