Sherlock (BBC)

Melange

What was the "clue" that everyone missed about the Season 2 cliffhanger? Was it the squash ball? (Surely not?)

It was the ambulance that was blocking the view of the landing of Sherlocks body. Anything could have happened behind that obstacle, and everything did.

BTW, I loved what "The Sign Of Three" was really all about. So sweet :-)

Though now, y'all got me worried it's just going to be more heartbreak for poor Watson!

Well, the line is "wish your family could have seen this", so yea.

And orphan doesnt mean she has no family at all

Though now, y'all got me worried it's just going to be more heartbreak for poor Watson!

I kinda wish I didnt read this thread now. I'll be sitting down next sunday with trepidation.

THAT'S how good the show is!

What was the "clue" that everyone missed about the Season 2 cliffhanger? Was it the squash ball? (Surely not?)

It was the ambulance that was blocking the view of the landing of Sherlocks body. Anything could have happened behind that obstacle, and everything did.

This hasn't been confirmed has it? How is that a clue? The first thing you notice is that there's a truck or ambulance there.

I just read through all the deductions made in this thread.

I wish I didn't. :(

Wow, I should visit that official site more often. The blog has posts explaining some of the short cases we only saw glimpses of in the episode:

The Poison Giant

The Elephant In The Room

The Hollow Client

And some that weren't mentioned

Happily Ever After

How is that devil imagery?

And if it is, that would be a clue for the viewer, but NOT Sherlock, so it could be a red herring.

My main thing is that she figured out the skip code signifying John was kidnapped. That came out of no where?

But is this a plot against Sherlock, or John? She was dating John 6 months before Sherlock came back!

When we get a Sherlock deducto-cloud on her, one of the words is "liar". So Sherlock knows something.

I never read the stuff on this site before. It's great!

Currently reading some of post-Sherlock death posts. The comments section hint at Mary and John getting together.

My favourite comment so far is in this: http://www.johnwatsonblog.co.uk/blog/26april

I HOPE HE ROTS IN HELL!!!!

Sauron1976 27 April

That could have been any one us Tolkien folks here ;)

How is that devil imagery?

And if it is, that would be a clue for the viewer, but NOT Sherlock, so it could be a red herring.

My main thing is that she figured out the skip code signifying John was kidnapped. That came out of no where?

But is this a plot against Sherlock, or John? She was dating John 6 months before Sherlock came back!

When we get a Sherlock deducto-cloud on her, one of the words is "liar". So Sherlock knows something.

Of course, she did lie about liking John's mustache.

This is a thread dedicated to deduction and speculation about the last episode of series 3 of Sherlock.

Technically this is not spoiler material, just speculation. Yet if you just wanna see His Last Vow without having a lot of possible theories running through your head, then DO NOT READ THIS THREAD!

There Is Something About Mary!

Mary Morstan, introduced in The Empty Hearse.

After seeing that episode everyone commented on this new character and liked her. She seemed perfect for John, and even handles Sherlock in a brilliant way. My first fear after the episode finished was. I hope they don't kill her off!

Others expressed similar sentiments, there is something so wonderful and flawless about her that makes it hard to believe there will not be some pay-off.

But in the end of The Sign Of Three we find out she is pregnant. And I can't imagine Sherlock being the kind of show to kill an innocent pregnant women ala Red Wedding.

The other possibility then, she is evil, and somehow in league with the mysterious character seen at the end of The Empty Hearse.

Ruminations:

When Sherlock gives her a scan in The Emty Hearse, he deduces a number of details. Secret tattoo, Cat lover, Bakes own bread... But also a few things tat might mean more and might point to nefarious aspects.

SherlockS03E01TheEmptyHearse1080pWEB-DLD

Of the first picture the word Linguist if of interest, because it's not immediately clear what it means.

With Guardian I assume the English newspaper is meant. But who knows.

Onto the second pic.

We will avoid Lib Dem. ;)

But Liar and Disillusioned are of interest.

Liar might simply point to the fact that she hates Johns mustache.

After John is kidnapped she is the one to receive an SMS which she takes to Sherlock. That in itself is not so strange. But the SMS is in code. And it's her, not Sherlock who mentions this.

This could point to a level of complicity. But Sherlock deduced the word Linguist. So it's probably she is very good with words and figured it out.

Now for the actual kidnapping. John is taken right in front of Baker Street and put into a pyre to be set on fire for Guy Fawkes Day.

The point of this kidnapping was obviously NOT to kill John. Of else there would have been no reason for the text messages. Which gave constant clues to John's whereabouts.

If Mary is somehow involved with this kidnapping, then it was clearly her job to point Sherlock in the right direction.

Uh, why is this it's own thread instead of just being discussed in the main Sherlock thread?

Because some people, might simply want to discuss the episode they saw without having a lot of conjecture about the next one. I would have actually preferred not to have seen Blume's posts at all this mornbing. Several others seem to agree.

Please humour me on this. If you want you can combine them after sunday.

It seems to invite us to speculate on whether she's disillusioned as a Lib Dem supporter. (Though I've no idea - and, of course, wouldn't discuss it here in any case - how that might impinge on the likelihood of her being a villain.)

Disillusioned and Lib Dem Supporter do seem to go hand in hand yes ;)

But Liar matches with something we see in the episode, and so does Linguist.

We assume the kidnapping of John and the terrorist plot to blow up parliament are connected in some way.

Is there anything in The Empty Hearse that explicitly links them? Apart from the Guy Fawkes inspired stuff?

The bomber Moran was said by Sherlock to be working for North Korea. But it's not mentioned if the attempted bombing is a North Korean plot.

If memory serves there is nothing that specifically ties the kidnapping an the attempted bombing together. They might be, but it's not stated anywhere.

There are too many Sherlock threads! I'm sick of having to wade through so many threads! It hurts my finger! I also want threads about certain topics that I have no interest in creating but no one else will create them either!

Ok, I'm done.

I also want threads about certain topics that I have no interest in creating but no one else will create them either!

:lol:

Ok continuing.

The final few shots of The Empty Hears contain a few weird items:

Clowns heads show up in the beginning of The Sign Of Three. But as masks for robbers. Not sure if there is a connection.

I havent seen The Sigh of Three a second time. But the CAM abbreviation is telling. also the actual message. "Mary, lots of love poppet, oodles of love and heaps of good wishes from CAM"

Rather strange phrasing. Poppet kinda matches the images of different kinds of "puppets" in the screenshots above. Another thing that might link CAM to Charles Augustus Magnussen, and therefore to Mary.

But that's where the following pic comes in:

NCtMfAY.png

Who is this meant for? It's a (possible) clue. But it's not one that can be used by Sherlock for purposes of deduction. So it's a shot made for the sake of the observant viewer (in this case Blumenkohl).

But that's a bit weird actually.

If the point is to shock us (and John) with a big reveal as Mary as a villain, then one would expect to have as little as possible pointing in that direction. Enough for Sherlock to plausible have some notions about it, so we can see him explain his suspicions with flashbacks from several scenes. So we can say "wow, I didnt see that coming?"

The devil shot does NOT fall into that category. There is no reason for it to exist other then to raise suspicion in the viewers minds.

But if they want to SHOCK viewers with a big reveal of Mary being an evil henchman, why seed the suspicion?

I already posted the full text of CAM's note in the real thread. It is "Mary, lots of love poppet, oodles of love and heaps of good wishes from CAM, wish your family could have seen this"

I have a hard time believing that Mary could be evil, or killed off, for one simple reason: In the original Doyle stories, Watson gets married at some point, and I don't remember there being any relevant problems in the marriage. So far, the TV series seems to mostly stay true to the original as far as character integrity and personalities go, so it would seem out of place to change the core of Watson's marriage.

Though they did show Holmes nearly going after the bridesmaid, when Irene Adler was supposedly the only woman he ever showed an interest in. Then again, that might be explained by that claim being made by Watson, who would hardly be aware of Holmes's near acting on the bridesmaid.

Of course, none of this prevents Mary from being involved in some as yet unknown agenda. But I don't really expect her to end up dead or in some way irredeemable.

Well Mary died eventually in the stories.

What if Mary was the target in some way, rather then John or Sherlock? She is an orphan, were her parents murdered and is the telegram by CAM a taunt of some sort? A reminder?

Then again, that might be explained by that claim being made by Watson, who would hardly be aware of Holmes's near acting on the bridesmaid.

I kinda figured that was to highlight Sherlocks isolation more then anything else. He has built up some sort of a report with the bridesmaid during the ceremony, and was the center of attention during the speech making, but after that there was really nothing more for him, even the bridesmaid had who had been a conversation partner of some interest at least had something else on her mind, so he left.

Well Mary died eventually in the stories.

Oh, I didn't know that. I should read those I don't know yet.

I kinda figured that was to highlight Sherlocks isolation more then anything else. He has built up some sort of a report with the bridesmaid during the ceremony, and was the center of attention during the speech making, but after that there was really nothing more for him, even the bridesmaid had who had been a conversation partner of some interest at least had something else on her mind, so he left.

Seems to me he was making up his mind to ask her for a dance, then saw she already had a dancing partner, then left. Either way, it does show his isolation.

Outside of The Sign Of Four Mary doesn't feature much in the stories anyway.

I'm not sure I've read anything more specific about her than Watson married *someone* and moved in with her. Also, I seem to have read even fewer of Doyle's stories than I'd thought. Of those turned into specific episodes so far, I only know Scandal in Bohemia and Hound of the Baskervilles.

Would a Vesper Lynd scenario be possible.

Sherlock returns, and CAM being a master blackmailer finds out something from Mary's past, possibly connected with her parents, to force her to be an accomplice in the kidnaping. Assuring her John will not be killed.

The telegram at the wedding might be a hint to Mary that he will be in touch.

That would suggest that the romance between John and Mary is not something that just happened, but planned for some purpose.

CAM presumably has some beef with Sherlock. And is using Mary. But if he had a prior relationship with Mary then he must have known Sherlock would still be alive, since they had been dating for 6 months before his return.

Would that not defeat the whole point of Sherlocks plan to disappear and be dead?

On the one hand, its a long wait. On the other hand, that amount of time does allow for a very high quality production. In every aspect.

These episodes must take quite a long time to shoot and edit.

Absolutely.

It's like those dozen-or-so-episode series which pack in a whole lot of plot and characterization.

This time, the Sherlock team obviously had a lot of time to go over the scripts countless times until they were perfect.

Episode 2 was fantastic. [...] it was also filled with these tiny moments of pure texture and character that seemingly do nothing for the plot, until it's all brought together by the man himself in the end. And all fantastically topped with the isolation of Holmes at the end. Lots of subtlety through this episode. And I love subtlety.

On another note I really like the Mary character and actress. But I'm worried her character may be an evil one. Between Sherlock's brain citing her a liar (episode 1), the blatant devil imagery in Episode 2.

The various montages and flashbacks were a lot of fun.

Uh-- "blatant devil imagery"? Didn't see that.

[i've now seen the picture in the next message]

Oh no-- not really? This was a nice funny bit (the whole scene and its concluson with Mary giving the thumb up to both of them). Now I remember I did somewhat notice it could have made a halo, but really didn't think about it more.

Really? Could it be that?

Hmm...

It does seem like quite a coincidence, especially in such a well-writtten and well-short show.

Darn.

I don't know.

Oooooh, the telegram from CAM is a nice catch. (I didn't remember the name had been changed, though).

I feared that something was up with Mary. She's just too perfect, a little too good at working both Sherlock and John.

Oh no.

Don't tell me she's the true Moriarty.

:P

That was particularly clever indeed; I was quite surprised, especially as we did not know her much yet.

She was good at dealing with the Major, too.

A plot against John? Why? Revenge for something?

What was the point of the kidnapping, in the first place? The clues wre very easy; the mysterious man did not even let Sherlock find by himself where to look once they had arrived. So it was a warning; or he hoped Holmes would see his friend burn alive; or it was a test-- but why need to test Sherlock?

At first, I had though it might have been some sort of trick of the Secret service (in other words, Mycroft), to force the Holmes-Watson team back together to make sure Sherlock would be able to work as well he did with Watson since, great as he arealdy was, Watson brought something more to him, as he acknowledged in the second episode.

There's also this "Redbeard" reference left to be explained (Mycroft to Holmes, on the phone).

Funny post about John's wedding on the official site - be sure to read all the comments too

http://www.johnwatsonblog.co.uk/blog/11august

Thanks a lot! I had completely forgotten about this site.

"Who else wants to be deconstructed?" :D

"

Does anyone want to ask me how I worked it all out? And who the potential victim was?" "Anyone?" "John would ask me if he was here." :D