Sherlock (BBC)

Melange

Holy crap! New Sherlock minisode "Many Happy Returns", written by Stephen Moffat and Mark Gatiss

Hmmm, starts off pretty good, then just kinda ends. Can't wait for next Wednesday!

Hmmm...Minisodes are very normal for Doctor Who (produced by Moffat, with Gattis as an oft contributor).

Fun! The "only lies have detail" concept was use in The Snowmen.

Strange, all this time it's been the Hobbit this, The Hobbit that, I've seen AUJ EE on Blu, DoS twice in the cinema. Martin Freeman appears on screen and he's immediately "John Watson" for me.

Knipsel_zps483b106e.png

I really wanna know what case Sherlock solved in Amsterdam!!!

I really wanna know what case Sherlock solved in Amsterdam!!!

Me too! But even more interesting for me; there's gonna be a Danish villain in this series! Woo!

Only 45 minutes to go until "The Empty Hearse" broadcasts in the UK!

Marcy and I will hopefully watch it tonight, but perhaps not until tomorrow.

Then only 4 days to go until "The Sign Of Three"!

That was awesome :)

Nice and uncomplicated solution too (although it did depend on Moriarty killing himself - what would he have done with Moriarty as a witness?). Anyone not taken in by the opening montage?

Nice and uncomplicated solution too (although it did depend on Moriarty killing himself - what would he have done with Moriarty as a witness?). Anyone not taken in by the opening montage?

I was so stupid! I bought it even when they brought in Paul McKenna!. I mean I thought it was stupid, but I bought it.

So many great scenes. The look on John face when he saw Sherlock.

There were 13 possible scenario's. So if Moriarty had not killed himself they would have used another plan I guess.

Urgh we really gotta use spoiler tags for this?

Ruminations:

That was not what I expected. I figured they would dispense with the "solution" fairly early on and move to the new story. Since whatever solution they presented would never life up to the hype.

In many ways this episode of Sherlock was a commentary about the phenomenon Sherlock. The show, the fans, the hype. A case of nearly 90 minutes of self masturbation. Relishing in an orgy of it's own style and brilliance!

The thing is that is COMPLETELY works. Because it's so cleverly written. Because the acting is so top notch, by all involved.

I can't get over how incredibly funny this show is! That's probably what sells it for me.

Sooooooo many London Underground geography problems.

Are there actually, I'd love to hear them, seemed pretty legit when I saw r.

The train on the CCTV was a Jubilee line train, while the interior shots showed a District line train and the front of the train as Holmes and Watson approached it in the tunnel looked like the front car of a Bakerloo line train. *

Elementary!

A very enjoyable episode nonetheless.

* Sorry.

I saw Series one again last week.

is it me or are all 3 episodes far slower then the (now) four that followed? In terms of general pacing, and plotting?

I wonder if that is because originally the show was only supposed to be an hour long. They actually shot a pilot episode of that length and then re shot it at 90 minutes?

that might explain why The Blind Banker feels a bit padded.

The Great Game feels less so, but that one has several mini mysteries for Sherlock to solve, so easier to slot in an extra mystery or so.

Just wondering.

Ocean's Twelve has scenes taking place at Amsterdam Central Station that were filmed in Haarlem Central Station.

Nobody cares!

Perhaps. Skyfall was worse in this regard.

I was devestated during the opening few minutes. As soon as I saw the bungee jump I thought "Oh God no, this is it? This is horrible!". I was very glad that that wasn't what actually happened! It was very, very good once it going. Can't wait for Sunday.

Both the subway stuff and the rooftop scene reminded me very strongly of Skyfall.

I wouldn't be surprised if they used the same sets. They built a replica tube station for Skyfall.

Oh, and there was this shot too.

skyfall-james-bond-trailer.jpeg

sherlock.PNG

My mindset was. Ok the explanation is rubbish. I dont care, just move on to the new story....

Who says Sherlock was telling the truth?

At this point there doesnt seem to be any reason why he would not.

The fact that when Sherlock explains how he did it, he explained it to Anderson rather then John is quite a fun wink to the fans and conspiracy theorists. For the post part John doeskin care, while it consumer Anderson. Like it did so many fans for two years.

Reactions to the solution.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2532304/Sherlock-Twitter-fans-react-rooftop-plunge-mystery-finally-solved.html

The actors playing Sherlock's parents are actually Cumberbatch's parents!

According to Sherlock's explanation, the entire street was blocked of and all the bystanders were either a part of Mycrofts men or the homeless network.

The whole scene of Anderson not buying Sherlock's explanation is basically foreshadowing your EXACT behavior right now.

Of the three solutions given, the first two don't match visually with what we saw two years ago. In both cases a bungee cord was visible, we know it was never a dummy that fell etc etc...and they were clearly written to wind the audience up. The solution Sherlock gives is the only one that matches what we know and saw in The Reichenbach Fall

According to Sherlock's explanation, the entire street was blocked of and all the bystanders were either a part of Mycrofts men or the homeless network.

The whole scene of Anderson not buying Sherlock's explanation is basically foreshadowing your EXACT behavior right now.

I really enjoyed that inclusion. The solution makes perfectly logical sense and it works. People got out of hand with all these elaborate plots and what not but in the end it was perfectly simple, the knew how people would react and included a preemptive dig. Very clever IMO.