Sherlock (BBC)

Melange

Was it me or was the bombing plot very similar to that of V For Vendetta?

Not just the Guy Fawkes stuff, but more the plot of blowing up parlement with a bombed train, which is what I believe V was trying to do.

I thought of that, too, when I saw the train.

Lestrade should have been able to solve that one on his own...

Bloody hell that was awesome!!!

Indeed. And style wise it was quite out there, compared to earlier Sherlock. It might even beat Belgravia as the best episode so far - or at least it's different enough with its offbeat humour to not be second to it.

Can't wait for the finale.

As fun as the last episode was, this was a much better improvement. More clean and focused and has even better laughs. This is to season 3 what the Belgravia episode was to season 2. An isolated episode that wrapped up into one great adventure. The editing was quite good, especially the climax where Sherlock passes judgement in the courthouse in his head. Great idea!

At times, the plot did get a little hazy with some questionable deductions but it came together quite well. Also some of the stylistic choices weren't to my taste (too much blurring during the drunk scenes, and there were some really annoying transition bits).

The big highlight for me was how this episode made amends on what the first episode did, which was desensitizing Sherlock in a way (especially after all the work they did on making him seem human!). We have here, a Sherlock that is hard to believe, but one who is very capable of compassion and sympathy, which is very endearing to watch.

I think this landed in my top 3 Sherlock episodes. We'll see how my thoughts settle.

Great episode! I wasn't with it right away, for a while I thought it carried too much of what I didn't like about the first episode, mainly in the editing. But then, somewhere around the slow mo shot of the glass falling, it all came together and was just terrific until the end.

Great performances by Sherlock, Watson, and Mary here and great score cues too! Great episode overall!

Huge improvement over the premiere. Can't wait for the finale!

I just really really hope they don't kill Mary off next week, that would be a giant blunder. She should stay on the show forever.

I agree, she compliments Sherlock and John perfectly.

I'm kinda guessing they wont. Sherlock (sofar) isnt really the show to kill off a pregnant woman. A bit too Red Wedding.

The only thing that didn't seem to be connected with the rest of the show was the gang Lestrade was chasing before the credits.

I love that opening! I thought for sure I'd turn out to be a case that only Sherlock can solve it was funny that it ended up being a joke about preparing for best man's speech.

I thought it would pay off later in the ep - that Lestrad would not lock down the wedding because of how Sherlock had tricked him before, leading to increased tension and danger... But it worked out fine the way it did.

I wonder if anything from this episode will play a part in the third one?

Nothing obvious right now, apart from the bit s about the vows, though that might be a red herring.

Traditionally speaking the second ep of a season has always been the least connected to the series arc. With both The Blind Banker and Baskerville only having a short scene at the end linking them.

Great episode. There was a bit in the middle where I thought it was going to fall flat on its face but it saved it self beautifully. Probably Cumberbatch's best performance as Sherlock and that's saying something.

The dubstep version of the Sherlock theme! :lol:

I have slightly mixed feelings about this one. Mainly because of the extremely far fetched stabbings. I may be wrong, but I don't believe in the powers of a tight belt. That said, everything else was a lot of fun....I just wish the actual murder attempts wasnt so hokey.

I really thought Sherlock was going to end up bedding Jeanette (or whatever the Maid of Honor's name was)

BTW, maybe I missed something in the episode, but did there end up being any importance to the fact that the girl who hired them cause she was dating a ghost when they were drunk knew that John's middle name was Hamish?

Well sorry I didn't remember his name.

Another funny thing about him is, John asked him something like "Where are you living these days?". Marcy pointed out that he should know, if he sent him an invitation :)

I loved how once again Sherlock's own compositions tied into the actual score, with his waltz being Mary/John's theme from the last episode, like his piece for Irene.

Wait, there was a score cue in 3x01 that underscored a Mary/John scene that ended up being the same violin piece Sherlock wrote in this episode?

Yep, I don't remember how many times it appears but at least when Mary tells Sherlock that she'll "talk John round" and Sherlock sizes her up. And I think also when John is messing with the ring at the restaurant?

I've just watched "The Sign of Three". Awesome.

Despite this already being an exceptional series, I dreaded the wedding thing. They managed to make something fun, that contributed to the characterization, and with an actual cases (or two turning out to be about another thing), with tantalizing suggestions of other cases.

Splendiddly written and edited; I really love the way they show Holmes' mind working.

A nice cameo of Irene.

Truly a great episode.

I didn't see the meaning of the title coming.

Mary is very well written (witty and intelligent; an enhanced version of the character, like Watson is) and cast, indeed.

Dammit, it's already almost over.

Just got caught up.

Episode 1 was really good. A lot of the impossible to solve issues were handled fairly elegantly. Some of the ultra-goofy Sherlock stuff (bordering on Doctor Who level) I didn't care much for, especially with the last scene in the train. But it was still a strong entry. Far better than any of the Episode 2's from the last two series. The moment Watson realizes Sherlock is alive is brilliant sound design, brilliant music, brilliant cinematography, and brilliant acting. Loved it.

Episode 2 was fantastic. Not only fantastic, but one of the most quintessentially "Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes" episodes of the show. Probably my favorite since the Irene Adler episode. I think this episode succeeded in bringing disparate plot threads together rather well by the end. That was a big flaw with the previous episode. But it was also filled with these tiny moments of pure texture and character that seemingly do nothing for the plot, until it's all brought together by the man himself in the end. And all fantastically topped with the isolation of Holmes at the end. Lots of subtlety through this episode. And I love subtlety.

On another note I really like the Mary character and actress. But I'm worried her character may be an evil one. Between Sherlock's brain citing her a liar (episode 1), the blatant devil imagery in Episode 2.

NCtMfAY.png

Also, when Sherlock is reading the wedding telegrams, there's one from "Cam," which makes Mary very uneasy.

Possible spoilers?

CAM would be the initials for Charles Augustus Magnussen

Oh dear.

Just watched the part where he reads the telegrams again... yea, her reaction to "Mary, lots of love poppet, oodles of love and heaps of good wishes from CAM, wish your family could have seen this" is pretty telling.

And and and and and....

Mrs. Hudson's friend leaving the wedding early...and it being connected to her screwed up husband...

Sherlock left John's wedding early. FORESHADOWING?

All signs point to a fascinating episode 3. And another agonizing 2 years.

Good grief. Way to make me incredibly depressed.

I felt bad enough as it is seeing him leave like that. Reminded me too much of myself.

I feared that something was up with Mary. She's just too perfect, a little too good at working both Sherlock and John.

How is that devil imagery?

And if it is, that would be a clue for the viewer, but NOT Sherlock, so it could be a red herring.

My main thing is that she figured out the skip code signifying John was kidnapped. That came out of no where?

But is this a plot against Sherlock, or John? She was dating John 6 months before Sherlock came back!