Sherlock (BBC)

Melange

Yes. It's a nice set and the busts are pretty cool, but it comes with a hefty price tag and you know in two years' time you'll have another season to add to your collection (and there'll probably be another box set too).

I used to have the 20-film Bond DVD set in a tin drum, though. That was nice. I recently upgraded to the 50th Anniversary Blu-Ray set (which is now dirt cheap everywhere). 50 years of Bond seems like a nice round number. Doesn't matter if the next few films don't fit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well I honestly think they could have really done this series as a period piece and it would have been fantastic. :)

Not that I hate the modern take on the characters either.

It would have been something completely different.

Different yes but the actors would certainly have been spot on.

And as I say above I am a fan of the modernized version, which quickly won me over after my initial reservations.

The Granada series is already a definitive version of the period correct Sherlock Holmes for me. Sherlock set in that era would have been slightly redundant.

Yeah that is kind of true. Those adaptations are masterful really. To make those 50 minute episodes from those slight short stories is a commendable feat. Same goes for the other sleuth Hercule Poirot. After reacquainting myself with the Christie short stories I am in awe of how entertaining those 50 minute episodes are when the source material is so bareboned.

50 minutes for a short story is just right. And the acting and production design is superb!

Indeed! Verily I say!

And as Brilliant as Cumberbatch is, when I read the stories, i see Jeremy Brett!

13B14406-2445-44E2-9CA9-DCE1FB93EC41_zps

My sister, being a huge fan of the BBC show tried the original stories last year, but it just didn't feel like Sherlock to her. So the Cumberbatch version may have actually done some damage.

Yes Jeremy Brett really is the definitive Sherlock Holmes to me with all his eccentrics and gestures and quirks. There is something very singular and hawkish about his potrayal. Same happened with David Suchet's towering performance as Hercule Poirot. I can't imagine anyone dethroning him as the definitive version of the character.

The new series is very comtemporary and undoubtedly Cumberbatch's performance has its appeal but to me he is not quite quintessentially Holmes either.

Both Cumberbatch and Freeman are absolutely brilliant, but they are frankly very different from their literary counterparts. Which is the whole point of Sherlock anyway.

Yes. They get the spirit right but have never been slavishly tied to the original stories.

Anyone here watch Elementary? I just doesn't look interesting to me.

Never seen it once. Doesn't look much better than the rest of the CBS schlock

Anyone here watch Elementary? I just doesn't look interesting to me.

Never seen it once. Doesn't look much better than the rest of the CBS schlock

Sherschlock? ;)

I watched the first two seasons. But it's like any other mystery-of-the-week cop show on tv and regularly fails to use the characters for anything interesting (there was a subplot in season 2 where a detective was shot because of Holmes, which could have been very dramatic, but ultimately led nowhere). I stopped watching after season 2.

Johnny Lee Miller crafts an interesting main character, though, but he's far removed from the original Sherlock Holmes.

• 1 month later...

Wow! Fascinating!

So it's not a true part of the standard 3 episode seasons, its its own story outside of them. Very cool! I bet they had a lot of fun with it!

Shame it's all finished now, yet won't air until Christmas

• 2 weeks later...