I'm Sorry but Minority Report the Score does not fit the film

BLUMENKOHL

Really? I never knew that.

Yes. I think Kubrick also recorded some material with Ben Kingsley, if I'm not mistaken. And although this is well known, the ending is pure Kubrick. It isn't a happy ending really...

But staying on topic, I have some problems with "Anderton's Great Escape" and "Everybody Runs" because they seem too standard for Williams. For example, the first one seems very inspired from "Ludlow's Demise" from TLW. And while I love this particular track when I listen to it alone on the soundtrack, on film I just find it weird.

Although the film is fantastic, those two action sequences are kinda weird too because they never take themselves very seriously. For example, in "Great Escape", there's a moment where Anderton bursts through a house and the mother starts yelling at thim. I mean, why the hell has Steven to add comedic moments to such great action sequences? There's the same problem with "Everybody Runs", when Anderton jumps to a car and the couple wave to him and smile. And also when he jumps into the yoga class. What the hell is up with that?

However, I think the score has some excellent in-film moments. For example, when Anderton loses Sean in the swimming pool, the music makes that moment so perfect it's amazing.

I guess the quality of each piece depends on how much emotion each sequence was carrying with it. Yeah, that must be it.

Actually, part of Anderton's Great Escape is straight out of Chasing Crooks/Super Crime Fighter from Superman. Also, that delightfully goofy Eye-dentiscan sounds similar to March of the Villains. I think Williams must have thrown on his score to Supes around the time of composing Minority Report.

Overall, I disagree with the criticism. I think people have a weird perception of the movie, but I guess I can't blame you. It isn't that dark. It's not exactly film noir as Spielberg and everyone in the production say they were going for. It's more like a hybrid, but certainly noir-esque. It's part noir, part popcorn flick. And it's great because of that. At points, it seems like Spielberg has no idea how to interpret the style of film noir. So we get a random gross scene of Anderton accidentally eating rotten food in a seedy apartment. But I like it. It's a movie with layers. You got plenty of popcorn fun and entertainment, heart, a bit of philosophy and certainly a MASTERPIECE of production design. That's my favorite aspect. How Spielberg assembled a group of top minds in a room and had them conceive a world 50 years in the future. If that isn't art, I don't know what is.

Agreed. I don't have the slightest clue where people are getting the idea that Minority Report was ever supposed to be some grim, depressing thing. It's definitely got its share of darkness--much more than, say, Raiders--but it's definitely got that balance that ETandElliot4Ever is talking about, and in the context of that hybridization of noir, sci-fi, and popcorn elements, I think that not only is Williams's approach is appropriate, so are those moments of levity (in action sequences that are fairly early on in the film, no less--it's not like we're busting up the climax with a poop joke or something). I actually found the film rather refreshing when I watched it, because when I first saw it, I was thinking, "Thank you! A thriller that knows it doesn't have to wear a scowl on its face 100% of the time." I think the film is pretty good about being serious when it needs to be, and has some fun when it needs to.

I don't have the slightest clue where people are getting the idea that Minority Report was ever supposed to be some grim, depressing thing.

Fornicating with Hans Zimmer does strange things to the brain.

Just compare Jerry's immortal score for Total Recall with John's one for MR.

Action music aside, I find MR significantly more listenable than TR. Granted, that's a huge aside, but it also speaks to the contrasting nature of the films themselves.

Agreed. I don't have the slightest clue where people are getting the idea that Minority Report was ever supposed to be some grim, depressing thing. It's definitely got its share of darkness--much more than, say, Raiders--but it's definitely got that balance that ETandElliot4Ever is talking about, and in the context of that hybridization of noir, sci-fi, and popcorn elements, I think that not only is Williams's approach is appropriate, so are those moments of levity (in action sequences that are fairly on in the film, no less). I actually found the film rather refreshing when I watched it, because when I first saw it, I was thinking, "Thank you! A thriller that knows it doesn't have to wear a scowl on its face 100% of the time." I think the film is pretty good about being serious when it needs to be, and has some fun when it needs to.

"[Name of film] can't decide whether it's a [name of genre] or a [name of genre]" is a familiar critical bromide, one nearly as tiresome as labeling a movie "sentimental," "treacly," or "saccharine" with little in the way of meaningful substantiation.

Also, there was nothing wrong with the ending of Minority Report. For the record. You get just enough resolution that you don't walk out feeling miserable or cheated, but it doesn't feel like Spielberg neatly wrapped everything up. A character that is initially at odds with Anderton and becomes increasingly likeable as he leads the hunt is murdered and the storyline with the missing son is never resolved in a ballsy manner that is not typical of Spielberg Father/Son arcs. There is a sadness to the precogs and their destiny of isolation. Anderton and his wife carry with them some very deep scars, but you wanted to see them end up together and to get their lives back on track.

;)

Also, there was nothing wrong with the ending of Minority Report. For the record. You get just enough resolution that you don't walk out feeling miserable or cheated, but it doesn't feel like Spielberg neatly wrapped everything up. A character that is initially at odds with Anderton and becomes increasingly likeable as he leads the hunt is murdered and the storyline with the missing son is never resolved in a ballsy manner that is not typical of Spielberg Father/Son arcs. There is a sadness to the precogs and their destiny of isolation. Anderton and his wife carry with them some very deep scars, but you wanted to see them end up together and to get their lives back on track.

Not really, I thought the film would have ended perfectly when Cruise was imprisoned. In fact I thought it was over and was getting ready to get up.

I know there are some here who share my views about when the film should have ended.

;)

Not really, I thought the film would have ended perfectly when Cruise was imprisoned. In fact I thought it was over and was getting ready to get up.

I know there are some here who share my views about when the film should have ended.

Unfortunately, Spielberg is not an elipitical film maker (like, say, Kubrick). He needs "closure", and that usually means some sort of "happy" ending. Probably the closest he has ever got to a "non-ending", is either "The Color Purple", or "EOTS".

The discussion inspired me to listen to the score again. Damn, that's good stuff. And damn does it fit its film. It is dark, edgy, snarly, inventive, bleached of primary color, recalls Herrmann in the best possible way. For someone so sure of himself, Blume, you sure do pick the strangest causes to trumpet.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the point would be, other than a grim ending for the sake of a grim ending. You would also miss the important climactic dilemma that way. Yeah, there's a time and a place for downer endings, or even open endings, but I don't see what about that would've made the film so much better by ending with the imprisonment. I'm honestly curious as to why people think that would've been better.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the point would be, other than a grim ending for the sake of a grim ending. You would also miss the important climactic dilemma that way. Yeah, there's a time and a place for downer endings, or even open endings, but I don't see what about that would've made the film so much better by ending with the imprisonment. I'm honestly curious as to why people think that would've been better.

Ostensibly the point would be the darkly ironic truth that the Precrime system, far from representing perfection in crime-stopping, is in fact as horribly flawed and corrupt as the human race itself. In our attempt to construct utopia, we end up erecting a dystopian trap for ourselves. Critics would argue that, given what has come before, this is the narratively logical and tonally appropriate ending to the film.

*just looking*

I've always thought of this score as being a bit of a sci-fi North By Northwest. The action stuff has that great "news press conveyor belt" style to it, which again harkens back to Herrmann's earlier Citizen Kane music - fast and chaotic, but very strictly formed rhythmics.

I believe that was point of the music, to harken back to Herrmann. I thought Williams and Spielberg had mentioned that in several interviews.

I think Williams succeeded. If anything; the movie itself doesn't fit the score, and not the other way around, but I've not watched it for many years and so I could be wrong. Not my fave Spielberg pic.

Oh my god, I can't believe I'm standing up for Blume (you arrogant sonuvabitch!), but, question:

Is there a way to disagree with Blume without calling him a music-hating Zimmer zombie? It just makes you sound like angry, senile old men who still think they're fighting the Koreans, awaiting General MacArthur's next order with baited breath. Is there more than one way to score a film? Is there room in this world of ours for a diverse array of musical styles? Is there -- wait, I haven't even seen Minority Report. Okay, bye then!

Is there a way to disagree with Blume without calling him a music-hating Zimmer zombie?

I'm with Henry. If Blumenkohl wants to fornicate with Zimmer, that's his business. Calling him names is way out of line.

Is there a way to disagree with Blume without calling him a music-hating Zimmer zombie?

I'm with Henry. If Blumenkohl wants to fornicate with Zimmer, that's his business. Calling him names is way out of line.

:P

I'm sorry but comparing Minority Report to North By Northwest (one of my favorite scores) is like comparing "King Solomon's Mines" the movie to "Raiders of the Lost Ark."

Henry, you made me well up with tears. laugh.gif

I'm with Henry. If Blumenkohl wants to fornicate™ with Zimmer, that's his business. Calling him names is way out of line.

Fixed.

Listening to Minority Report right now.

I can't see where this score is supposed to be moody or dark.

I agree, it's probably Williams' most cheerful score to date.

It's moot to argue with someone saying they were pulled out of the film. But upon recently watching the film, I was struck precisely by how much better the score was in the film than I recalled. I don't get wat Elmo's saying about the movie it's trying to be. 'Anderton's Great Escape' precisely captures and enhances the scene, although, I will say, 'Everybody Runs' is more of a piece with the rest of the score (and the main motif (the running one) of the score), and a phenominal cue.

I hear in Minority Report a limber and inventive JW, a prelude to the even looser and more invigorated sound we get in the third Harry Potter score.

Everybody Runs is a work of genius. I think that ambient scoring would kill that film. I personally hate ambient scores as anybody with time and equipment can do it. Williams' music requires deep knowledge of orchestral music and masses of talent, ambient scoring doesn't.

From what I understand he approached the score from a film noir point of view , detective feel type of thing. I think you can hear it on the first track of the CD.

There are extremely beautiful themes that fit the movie 100% when describing Anderton's pain with regards the death of his son for example. The rest of the score did fit the film correctly. One thing for me though and it's just my opinion. I felt Anderton's Great Escape was a bit laboured. The rest was great

• 4 years later...

Is this another thread that will make me gleeful over Salacious' comical departure?

Oh main, seeing his signature again makes me laugh. He obvious read some joke / sarcastic post and thought it was said in earnest!

Is this another thread that will make me gleeful over Salacious' comical departure?

He obvious read some joke / sarcastic post and thought it was said in earnest!

Well, this happens to me often.

I don't know how someone says something, since I don't know him in real life..

Ah, discussion from the good old days.

Before the dark times, before the Hobbit empire.

This is one of the most cloth-eared threads I've ever read here. Blume must be hang drawn and quartered!

Obviously you didn't read his John Williams and Episode 7 remarks a couple of years ago.

This is one of the most cloth-eared threads I've ever read here. Blume must be hang drawn and quartered!

Obviously you didn't read his John Williams and Episode 7 remarks a couple of years ago.

I always saw that as light-hearted shit-stirring, like the idea that Williams ruthlessly stole STEPMOM from Patrick Doyle on his hospital bed.

It's funny how looking at my post from 2010 where I go on and on about how the comedic scenes in-between the action scenes in MR and now I don't agree with myself. Quite strange how just 4 years can change a person so much.