Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2?

Zach

A few years ago there was one composer that went as bad as you can go, and his name was Zimmer. It was dark times, Harry, dark times. Zimmer started to gather some followers, brought 'em over to the dark side.

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few years ago there was one composer that went as bad as you can go, and his name was Zimmer. It was dark times, Harry, dark times. Zimmer started to gather some followers, brought 'em over to the dark side.

:P Thank God Zimmer didn't write his own theme, though...

Educational Decree: Alexandre Desplat has replaced John Williams as composer for "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part Two".

Detention! You'll be doing lines using a special quill...

"I must not tell lies" :P

Does anyone find it odd that the other sites that contacted WB (not the Brazil one) have not reported ANY confirmation on if Williams coming back was legit or not? Usually by now we would have had one answer or another from the official source, even though I'm sure it would still be "we don't yet know".

yeah.like they haven't corrected their announcements. So according to sites like Leaky Cauldron ,Williams IS scoring it until proven otherwise

Well, why not? At this point, isn't JW the likeliest candidate? He said he wants to do it himself, Conrad Pope thinks he might do it (if his schedule allows), and there seems to be no schedule conflicts this time.

If AD would do Part II as well, I am sure it would already have been officially announced.

If AD would do Part II as well, I am sure it would already have been officially announced.

I think too much information here is speculative, but that is a very true point...

That's probably the oddest thing so far.

Are they waiting to see if they want a completely different composer like Howard Shore or JNH ? That makes even less sense than the John Williams option

yeah.like they haven't corrected their announcements. So according to sites like Leaky Cauldron ,Williams IS scoring it until proven otherwise

Aren't those the same sites that were reporting with a straight face that Jarvis Cocker was going to write all the music for GoF?

I think too much information here is speculative, but that is a very true point...

That's probably the oddest thing so far.

Are they waiting to see if they want a completely different composer like Howard Shore or JNH ? That makes even less sense than the John Williams option

If so, hopefully they go with Philippe Rombi.

Everyone keeps saying "There has to have been an official announcement," "We should have some confirmation," and blah blah blah. Since when does any studio ever announce the composer of a film and/or confirm/deny rumors? It's not like a pre-conceived thing. "Okay, we're gonna announce the composer on the 3rd." When news breaks, it breaks. WB has no obligation to do anything, and honestly, Desplat not being "announced" as composer for Part II doesn't mean a thing. Maybe the official contract isn't written up or one of the hundreds of other reasons.

On the flip side of the same coin, it does speak for itself that he has only been signed for part 1/not signed for part 2. If you're going to break one book down into two movies and really aim for the same composer to do both, you have to assure him he will score both films, so that he can construct his musical storytelling accordingly.

I think the cruel truth (for Desplat) is that the producers want John Williams for the finale, and are willing to wait to the very last second, until he accepts or declines.

Producers may not be the brightest folk to walk this earth, but they do know the announcement of the composer is of interest.

Everyone keeps saying "There has to have been an official announcement," "We should have some confirmation," and blah blah blah. Since when does any studio ever announce the composer of a film and/or confirm/deny rumors? It's not like a pre-conceived thing. "Okay, we're gonna announce the composer on the 3rd." When news breaks, it breaks. WB has no obligation to do anything, and honestly, Desplat not being "announced" as composer for Part II doesn't mean a thing. Maybe the official contract isn't written up or one of the hundreds of other reasons.

Generally, you would be correct, the studios don't have to announce anything. And I never said they have to, either.

However, this situation is a bit different: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is basically one big movie. We know the director is the same for both parts, the editor, the cinematographer, the producers, the actors, etc. So it's kind of strange that they don't simply say, "We hired Desplat for Deathly Hallows, the whole thing." Instead, what we hear is, Desplat does Part I, period. Hmmmm. Makes us all wonder. WTF does that mean?

The issue is further complicated because JW himself expressed a desire to return to DH, or at least Part II. And what Conrad Pope said.

I think the cruel truth (for Desplat) is that the producers want John Williams for the finale, and are willing to wait to the very last second, until he accepts or declines.

Producers may not be the brightest folk to walk this earth, but they do know the announcement of the composer is of interest.

Yes, well said. That's exactly my feeling too.

Maybe Desplat himself wasn't sure he wanted to commit for two movies. Maybe he wanted to wait until he could see what the first one turned out like and judge from then whether it would be a worthwhile experience.

It believe it was the producers' decision to make contract only for one movie. If Desplat delivers, which I'm sure he will, they will hire him to do another one.

Maybe Desplat himself wasn't sure he wanted to commit for two movies. Maybe he wanted to wait until he could see what the first one turned out like and judge from then whether it would be a worthwhile experience.

I don't think if your offered something as important for your career as Harry Potter your going to have that approach

I think that's even unlikelier than JW actually returning to do DH-II.

It believe it was the producers' decision to make contract only for one movie. If Desplat delivers, which I'm sure he will, they will hire him to do another one.

What ...?

You think the decision of who will score the finale of the biggest movie series for quite a while went like "Let's see how this guy does, if he sucks, we will pick another random guy."

What ...?

You think the decision of who will score the finale of the biggest movie series for quite a while went like "Let's see how this guy does, if he sucks, we will pick another random guy."

:lol: How else would it go?

The issue is further complicated because JW himself expressed a desire to return to DH, or at least Part II.

Whatever he (Williams) wants to accomplish with that. His themes are unusable, for the most part, new musical styles have been introduced and the series has taken some big turns regarding style and tone since he did the third one.

To stretch the idea, it's like Williams blackmailing Sid Sheinberg to get scoring duties on JAWS - THE REVENGE.

The issue is further complicated because JW himself expressed a desire to return to DH, or at least Part II.

Whatever he (Williams) wants to accomplish with that. His themes are unusable, for the most part, new musical styles have been introduced and the series has taken some big turns regarding style and tone since he did the third one.

?

:lol: How else would it go?

Gee, I don't know, maybe they could *gasp* actually have a plan?

Instead of, you know, going for hit and miss.

I don't know why any producers with the ability to hire a bunch of different top rate composers would stick with a composer who wrote a sucky score for the first part of a film (assuming sucky is both in sales and score quality).

Well they did stick with a third rate composer for Half Blood Price

From the producers'/director's perspective, he was a good composer. And the sales were impressive enough to justify the special edition version of the OotP soundtrack, so I'd imagine it was a financial success also.

Why aren't the producers considering Gustavo Santaolalla for the job? The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has clearly recognized his genius, and both Brokeback Mountain and Babel undoubtedly moved plenty of paper. I'd say it's a no-brainer.

?

Translation: it does not make a lot of sense. Williams certainly turns down a lot of high-profile film offers, but he feels inclined to sit down for 12 weeks to work on HARRY POTTER PART VII?

Well, the Harry Potter franchise is part of his musical legacy. And it might be his last chance to score a big blockbuster franchise movie so maybe he's saying ,what the hell,Ill do it.

To stretch the idea, it's like Williams blackmailing Sid Sheinberg to get scoring duties on JAWS - THE REVENGE.

This is probably the most narrow minded post ever by a respected JWFan member. Sorry publicist; you really miss the mark here. There is so much wrong with your reasoning that I don't even want to begin pointing it out.

This is probably the most narrow minded post ever by a respected JWFan member. Sorry publicist; you really miss the mark here. There is so much wrong with your reasoning that I don't even want to begin pointing it out.

:lol:

It's fucking HARRY POTTER 7,5, get a life, man...

:lol: That's exactly what I thought! I started typing . . . and then I said to myself, wth!

Well, the Harry Potter franchise is part of his musical legacy. And it might be his last chance to score a big blockbuster franchise movie so maybe he's saying ,what the hell,Ill do it.

I think Harry Potter is still close to his heart (at least I always get the feeling when I hear him talking about it in interviews). It's one of the big franchises he started . . . and maybe he misses it a bit. Maybe he still has some musical ideas he wants to work on.

He agreed to score the first film for his grandchildren's sake. The others had probably more to do with Columbus than anything else. I don't see what personal attachment he could have to the saga in order to "miss" it.

As for his musical ideas, I'm pretty sure all of the ones he likes are still being written.

:lol:

It's fucking HARRY POTTER 7,5, get a life, man...

LOL That's EXACTLY what I thought when I read *your* post! :)

I don't see what personal attachment he could have to the saga in order to "miss" it.

Newsflash: John Williams is human, not a machine. :lol:

You don't see, OK, got it. But I do see.

He's a human with other priorities. That I see.

He agreed to score the first film for his grandchildren's sake. The others had probably more to do with Columbus than anything else. I don't see what personal attachment he could have to the saga in order to "miss" it.

Good that his grandchildren didn't insist on him scoring the Twilight movies :lol:

Are you serious?

John Williams could probably score any bloody movie coming out in his lifetime, if he only asked his agent to send away an inquiry to the producer.

He agreed to score the first film for his grandchildren's sake. The others had probably more to do with Columbus than anything else.

Actually, he did the other two for Pete.

Are you serious?

John Williams could probably score any bloody movie coming out in his lifetime, if he only asked his agent to send away an inquiry to the producer.

I want to see John Williams muscle his way into a Tarantino or Woody Allen film.

Are you serious?

I think his point isn't that no one would want him - it's that he's old and doesn't have much time left. Any average human would have retired fifteen years ago in his shoes. He could score any movie he wants, but this one is guaranteed to be a blockbuster. There are only a couple other franchises out there that could have such a guarantee (Star Trek, James Bond, maybe Transformers - the first two intrigue me but the thought of a JW Transformers score is nearly vomit-inducing).