Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2?

Zach

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting that Desplat is going for a low-key score. Younger ones will probably love it and older ones will probably hate it, and viceversa if he did a "in your face" score.

I'm really intrigued to see how he'll score action scenes. Maybe most of them won't have music at all? Like the Voldemort Vs. Dumbledore duel from OOTP, which worked real nicely without music. Ben Brutt would have been happy as hell if Williams had scored something original for that scene and got unused.

I think we're inferring far too much from Pope's Facebook status. Something about a single chord voicing conveying something in some scene hardly means that the entire score is "low key" or "minimalist" or Nick Hooper all over again.

Sounds a bit minimalistic. But hey, it worked for Saving Buckbeak, right?

Not for me it didn't. =/

I was actually thinking the other day that Saving Buckbeak should have been in my top ten Potter tracks instead of Forward to Time Past. I like the vamped "time" rythymic pulse. It reminds me a lot of video game scoring, which in this case works because Harry and Hermione are on a "mission" to save Buckbeak.

I don't think Pope is suggesting that is what Desplat has composed for this DH scene. We won't know just what he's getting at until we get a listen.

that is possibly the case, as the companies importance(% of shots) changes between movies so they have to create the things again, instead of enhacing previous models. And changing directors that may want something different etc...

Definitely agree with you on the last sentence, especially the look of the dementors in POA compared to OOTP and DH. The big difference is that David Yates asked the animators to pull back the hoods on the dementors to see their features -- other than that, they look pretty similar (a lot of fans complained about that, but it's true IMO). The biggest difference between directors is Dobby's look -- it's not as textured and detailed like in COS.

And about Pope's comments on the score, I really think people are freaking out early. Just because Desplat used a single chord for one scene doesn't mean the entire score will be minimalistic. I'm not sure about the Lovegood "rockin' theme", I always imagined a quirky, off-kilter theme.

• 4 weeks later...

This is purely a random thought and has no basis in fact at this time:

Do you think Warner Bros. will have info for Part II's score on the "Sound and Music" documentary included on the Goblet of Fire Ultimate Edition? Would they dare to have the composer on there for an interview? It would be really cool. Imagine if John is on there talking about it, and that's how they make their announcement! It would start as a word of mouth thing, until they confirm a week later (if).

The only reason I propose such a notion is that they will have a film uncovered in their "Ultimate Edition". I wouldn't put it past them to skip it. But, I thought it would be a neat idea.

I know there is still plenty of time for scoring... but the window is starting to close for John's possible involvement.

What are your thoughts? Don't be vicious - wink.gif, unless you really want to be!

New clip from the Ultimate Edition on John Williams:

http://www.mugglenet.com/app/news/show/3859

I think it's cool that you can see Dan Radcliffe sitting watching Patrick Doyle do the score in a couple bits. He really did like everything to do with this series, it seems. ROTFLMAO

Since the release of War Horse has been changed to December, perhaps this'll lessen the pressure ever so slightly enough that he'll have more time for Part 2?

I also appreciate all these comments guys. Very interesting to read.

honestly, the last desplat score i heard (for the second twilight) sounded like Harry Potter to me... but not in a good way. I felt it ruined that film... anyone who in their right mind could take what was a brilliant score for the first film, and then make another score that only skimmed that and made it an action movie... i felt doesn't have good judgement as a composer.

Then I hear he's doing this potter and i'm like ::head desk::... I noticed the same with the "ROAR!" track from Cloverfield. I thought it sounded like the OS Star Trek theme...and then Giacchino ends up doing the revamped Star Trek.

What's with composers today? Are they all using each score as a jumping point to impress the next film? Or am i just seeing a trend that doesn't exist...

honestly, the last desplat score i heard (for the second twilight) sounded like Harry Potter to me... but not in a good way.

I always hear SHAFT when i listen to HARRY POTTER, so we should just acknowledge that HARRY POTTER is not only the source for all scores coming after, but also before 2001!

honestly, the last desplat score i heard (for the second twilight) sounded like Harry Potter to me... but not in a good way.

I always hear SHAFT when i listen to HARRY POTTER, so we should just acknowledge that HARRY POTTER is not only the source for all scores coming after, but also before 2001!

What compos24 said.

#"He's a bad mutha-"

"Shut your mouth!"

"But I'm talking about Williams"#

I think it's going to sound like Twilight Eclipse. something you listen to once or twice,then say yeah that's kinda ok,but never listen to again

I think it's going to sound like Twilight Eclipse. something you listen to once or twice,then say yeah that's kinda ok,but never listen to again

But Mark, you got your twinkly Potter overdose already this year (or better: this month), so don't come too hard on poor Alexandre.

I think he will do good, the only downside being the overwritten histronics in his action music. But that's a fault he shares with Williams, who hasn't written cohesive action music since a long time.

In other words, a bit like GOF :lol:

I really don't know what to expect for Pt. 1, but after several recent high profile disappointments, I'm not going to start kidding myself that it'll be a spectacular orchestral swashbuckler full of themes. Hey, it might be, but I've never heard anything from Desplat that actually leaps with full force out of the screen.

Getting JW for part 2 would rock, but I'm not getting excited yet.

If Desplat gives us a yearning theme like HARRY IN WINTER, i'm probably satisfied (even more if he varies it a little).

JW fanboard should write a Pottermusic guide which must be followed:

#1 you must write two or three bouncy and crowdpleasing concert pieces no matter how unrelated they are to the film at hand

#2 you must use in the most anal leitmotivic way every bouncy and crowdpleasing Williams concert piece, no matter how ill-fitting it may be in the film at hand

#3 your music will still be dismissed as sucky and unworthy of the mighty Potter legacy, but at least you will win the countless 'favourite Potter music' polls over Doyle and Hopper

We get it,you don't like the bombastic, "twinkly" type music that Williams writes for Hook, Home Alone, Harry Potter, Spacecamp...ect... The rest of us do

.........the usual boring crap.........

Dear, oh dear ......fanboys, gotta love 'em. (I'm guessing someone forgot to charge their iDil this morning?)

facepalmjesusfacepalmfa.jpg

If Desplat gives us a yearning theme like HARRY IN WINTER, i'm probably satisfied (even more if he varies it a little).

JW fanboard should write a Pottermusic guide which must be followed:

#1 you must write two or three bouncy and crowdpleasing concert pieces no matter how unrelated they are to the film at hand

#2 you must use in the most anal leitmotivic way every bouncy and crowdpleasing Williams concert piece, no matter how ill-fitting it may be in the film at hand

#3 your music will still be dismissed as sucky and unworthy of the mighty Potter legacy, but at least you will win the countless 'favourite Potter music' polls over Doyle and Hopper

Do I detect a rebuke?

We get it,you don't like the bombastic, "twinkly" type music that Williams writes for Hook, Home Alone, Harry Potter, Spacecamp...ect... The rest of us do

Quite the contrary, in smaller doses i quite enjoy it. That doesn't mean that i can't see that you are ready to stampede over a competent and engaging composer like Desplat because he doesn't meet your own very narrowly defined notions about how these movies should be scored.

All i'm sayin...

:lol:

Hey, it might me, but i've never heard anything from Desplat that actually leaps with full force out of the screen.

Listen to "Chase on the Ferry" and the last two minutes of "Truth about Ruth" from Ghost Writer. Those are pretty forceful and engaging stuff from Desplat, a far cry from his trademark waltzes and romantic writing.

honestly, the last desplat score i heard (for the second twilight) sounded like Harry Potter to me... but not in a good way. I felt it ruined that film... anyone who in their right mind could take what was a brilliant score for the first film, and then make another score that only skimmed that and made it an action movie

You honestly thought Carter Burwell's score for the first Twilight was vastly superior to Desplat's New Moon? Burwell's score was a huge detractor in the film (though it suited Catherine Hardwicke's goth-punk look she was aiming for), while Desplat's New Moon score elevated the film. Even those who don't like Desplat still admit New Moon is a better score.

Even Howard Shore's Eclipse score was leagues better than Burwell's score.

And to top it off, we don't know how Desplat's Harry Potter score will sound like. It may please a lot of people, it may not.

honestly, the last desplat score i heard (for the second twilight) sounded like Harry Potter to me... but not in a good way. I felt it ruined that film... anyone who in their right mind could take what was a brilliant score for the first film, and then make another score that only skimmed that and made it an action movie... i felt doesn't have good judgement as a composer.

Wait wait wait... The score ruined New Moon? Of all the possible problems with the film, the one that ruined it was the score?

:lol:

I thought in the scheme of things New Moon was an action movie? Werewolves versus vampires and all that.

I think the score is wonderful. Desplat did a great job and I'm looking very much forward to HP7.1.

I thought in the scheme of things New Moon was an action movie? Werewolves versus vampires and all that.

Technically, Eclipse is the action film. In New Moon, there are three scuffles at best.

I was curious, since every harry potter film was recorded in England, would Williams even be willing to do the score. He's said before he's not traveling out of the US anymore... would they make that arrangement to let him record with a different orchestra?

I was thinking that as well and the question comes down to do I want a John Williams score for DH2 with someone else conducting (e.g. Conrad Pope or William Ross) or would it be better to have someone like Alexandre Desplat who can commit to the entire scoring process. I'd also say the producers are holding Desplat's Part 1 score in high regard, considering there's already a planned collector's edition. At this stage I'll be thrilled if John Williams does sign up, but not surprised (or even terribly upset) if Desplat is locked for Part 2 as well.

I'm glad that I revived this topic for the second time this quarter.

On another note...

I'm pissed that they didn't discuss one thing about HP7's score - for either parts! Now, Desplat won't be included in the Ultimate Editions! Unfair to him, I say.

I'm only concerned because I know this is the definitive set that they are releasing for Harry Potter. There will never be another set after these are finished - never. dry.gif

wink.gif

I have a feeling Desplat will at least end up having some interviews in the Deathly Hallows bonus features whenever Part 1 comes out on DVD/Blu. :lol: And hopefully for Part 2 there will be a bonus feature titled "John Williams reflects on ending the series he started." :P hehehehe

I'm quite sure JW won't return for Part II. The schedule overlaps too much with War Horse (plus possible re-score/pick-up sessions for Tintin). Also, it's made clear he won't travel to England to record the score. Let's make peace with the idea.

Of course I'll be more than happy to be proven wrong :lol:

I'm glad that I revived this topic for the second time this quarter.

On another note...

I'm pissed that they didn't discuss one thing about HP7's score - for either parts! Now, Desplat won't be included in the Ultimate Editions! Unfair to him, I say.

I'm only concerned because I know this is the definitive set that they are releasing for Harry Potter. There will never be another set after these are finished - never. dry.gif

wink.gif

I'd be a bit more concerned about potential deluxe soundtrack re-releases than some interviews on a BD. I'm almost entirely talking about PoA though.

I'm quite sure JW won't return for Part II. The schedule overlaps too much with War Horse

Wasn't it announced not long ago that War Horse won't even be released now until December of next year? That should give him a lot more time, then. :) But we will see. Ugh I just wanna know one way or another! I hate aggravating waits! ;)

They'll announce the composer for Part II between now and the end of November

Do you know this for a fact? If yes, where did you hear/read it?

(I would have thought early next year.)

It's a simple deduction. They announced Desplat in late January, right? That gives you an eleven month lapse between the announcment and the film release date. So, as Part II is going to be released in July, it seems logical that the announcement is going to be before November ends.

It's a simple deduction. They announced Desplat in late January, right? That gives you an eleven month lapse between the announcment and the film release date. So, as Part II is going to be released in July, it seems logical that the announcement is going to be before November ends.

:)

If everything was so logical in the movie business as you make out, sure!