Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2?

Zach

I'm pissed that they didn't discuss one thing about HP7's score - for either parts! Now, Desplat won't be included in the Ultimate Editions! Unfair to him, I say.

He could be featured in the Part 7 and 8 documentaries ("Harry Potter Grows Up" and "The Harry Potter Phenomenon", which could cover a wide variety of subjects production-wise). But considering Desplat accepted the job in January of this year, I'm surprised they didn't interview him. Maybe he'll be featured in the special features on the DH DVD/BD release (the regular edition).

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I realize that. But, it sucks for him to not be featured on the "Sound and Music" portion of the documentary.

I was basically hoping for a small sneak peek. Greedy fan, I am. :)

I'm quite sure JW won't return for Part II. The schedule overlaps too much with War Horse

Wasn't it announced not long ago that War Horse won't even be released now until December of next year? That should give him a lot more time, then. :) But we will see. Ugh I just wanna know one way or another! I hate aggravating waits! ;)

I read War Horse was delayed too

Yeah, I realize that. But, it sucks for him to not be featured on the "Sound and Music" portion of the documentary.

I was basically hoping for a small sneak peek. Greedy fan, I am. :)

I did too. But the music that played on the menu for that disc from Goblet was beautiful.

It was something from Goblet, but not something I recognized from the OST. Really pretty arrangement of the themes for the foreign visitors I think. This was the blu ray menu.

I'm quite sure JW won't return for Part II. The schedule overlaps too much with War Horse

Wasn't it announced not long ago that War Horse won't even be released now until December of next year? That should give him a lot more time, then. :) But we will see. Ugh I just wanna know one way or another! I hate aggravating waits! :)

In the case of War Horse, it's just distribution strategy: Disney moved the release in December because they probably want to push it for the awards season, but it's likely the film will be locked much earlier.

Somehow the complete HPSS lessens the heartbreak of Williams likely not scoring HP7.

Wait a minute.

Is this a sure thing by now? I mean, that we are getting the Complete HPSS?

Somehow getting the complete HPSS score lessens the heartbreak of Williams likely not scoring HP7 .It's like we got a new HP album anyways

After WB releasing a superduper Deluxe Boxset for the Desplat score, i have a hard time not seeing him back on POTTER 7.2

Hmmmm.

You mean, WB released this nice set in order to persuade Desplat to do both parts? Could be, but I am not sure. The more I think about it, the unlikelier it seems, somehow.

Hmmmm.

You mean, WB released this nice set in order to persuade Desplat to do both parts? Could be, but I am not sure. The more I think about it, the unlikelier it seems, somehow.

White man in riddles speaks. Why should WB persuade Desplat? They could just ask him, it's not like he's not getting any money for this. But the simple fact that they produce a lavish deluxe set for Desplat is enough indication that they like what he's doing and certainly won't go and hire Trevor Rabin for the last.

Oh I got it all right. :)

Still... the other thing would be nice too.

not really, i rather have a real (partially) unrelesed williams score.

warner got its opportunity... and they waited too much time, and they lost it...

After WB releasing a superduper Deluxe Boxset for the Desplat score,

That's great. If HPSS didn't leak I'd be crying right now. Especially since it probably won't sell well and they'll and scrap all plans to release deluxe sets of the Williams scores

That's great. If HPSS didn't leak I'd be crying right now. Especially since it probably won't sell well and they'll and scrap all plans to release deluxe sets of the Williams scores

Killjoy. :angry:

Hmmmm.

White man in riddles speaks. Why should WB persuade Desplat? They could just ask him, it's not like he's not getting any money for this. But the simple fact that they produce a lavish deluxe set for Desplat is enough indication that they like what he's doing and certainly won't go and hire Trevor Rabin for the last.

Why would you need to persuade any composer to do a Harry Potter film?

They'd need to release super deluxe score editions for the first three to persuade Williams, though.

All this talk reminds me of Nicholas Hooper, who was "surely" going to finish the series once it was clear Yates would do the last one.

I wouldn't count on Desplat doing part 2.

But if Williams doesn't want to, he definitely should write part 2 as well.

• 2 weeks later...

What do you base 'won't sell well' on, exactly? Price? Or the fact that it's not John Williams?

However, a potential problem is that WB will want any Williams expansions to sell to more than just us few thousand score nuts, so I'd bet money that we won't get anything resembling sessions. Combine that with a composer who's not exactly falling over himself to release full scores, and yep, we're damn lucky to have these sessions leak.

hire Trevor Rabin for the last.

What a brilliant idea! #Owner of a lonely wand,

(much better than a)

Owner of a broken wand# ;)

If J.W. scores "D.H." pt2, then it might make a nice early Christmas present. Personally, I couldn't give a toss. IMO the series died the day Mike Newell said "no" to J.W. scoring "GOF". Nick Hoper has given us some good music, and I have no doubt that Desplat will do the same, but IT IS NOT THE SAME WITHOUT J.W! I hope that Desplat finishes what he starts, and scores pt2, but I don't think he will.

What do you base 'won't sell well' on, exactly? Price? Or the fact that it's not John Williams?

Because it's a film score and not the new Justin Bieber album?

If J.W. scores "D.H." pt2, then it might make a nice early Christmas present. Personally, I couldn't give a toss. IMO the series died the day Mike Newell said "no" to J.W. scoring "GOF". Nick Hoper has given us some good music, and I have no doubt that Desplat will do the same, but IT IS NOT THE SAME WITHOUT J.W! I hope that Desplat finishes what he starts, and scores pt2, but I don't think he will.

But... Newell didn't say "no" - John did. He was very busy that year and couldn't fit it within his schedule. I'm pretty sure that if John decided to do it, Mike Newell would have happily obliged.

I've yet to hear a story of someone actually saying "No" to Williams' participation. At least, a legitimate one...

When a deluxe HP is released I would imagine cues will be combined so we're not stuck with an album that has 70 1:00 to 2:00 minute cues.

Warner Bros seems to get it as far as expanded releases go, one has to look to LaLaLand and FSM, as well as the LOTR sets.

I'll be happy the day it's announced John Williams will not be scoring Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2.

Then we'll finally be able to let this discussion just die already. It's been pointlessly dragging itself out for years. Geez.

I keep saying this, and it's not something I've pulled out of my ass. But based on discussions outside of this message board by people who actually work in the business or have ties, if Williams really wanted to score any of the HP films after POA, he would have done them.

I'll be happy the day it's announced John Williams will not be scoring Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2.

Then we'll finally be able to let this discussion just die already. It's been pointlessly dragging itself out for years. Geez.

;)

But... Newell didn't say "no" - John did. He was very busy that year and couldn't fit it within his schedule. I'm pretty sure that if John decided to do it, Mike Newell would have happily obliged.

He should have brought in a co-composer so he could, oh wait...

It's been dragging, sure, but *pointlessly*? There have some very valid implications made over the years by people like Heyman, Hooper and Williams himself that Williams could be returning to the franchise.

I'm I the only one who - based on this - doesn't find it strange at all that Williams fans would be discussing this possibility?

Some people should really stop taking the moral high ground here, cause it's getting frickin' annoying.

It's been dragging, sure, but *pointlessly*? There have some very valid implications made over the years by people like Heyman, Hooper and Williams himself that Williams could be returning to the franchise.

I've mostly seen polite and non-commital comments by these people. Nothing substantial. And yet every few months, debate starts raging again that Williams could just be returning for the next film, because so-and-so asked so-and-so and they said if Williams wanted to return he might just be able to and blah blah blah.

You try reading this waffle for five years and not get tired of it.

Good man, Marc. Pretty much the only things I've seen are unsubstantiated rumors, hearsay, and of course that one comment from Williams where he was just being polite. All real evidence has always pointed to Williams not coming back.

If fans can't dream about mere possibilities here, far-fetched as they may be, where can we? I understand some may tire of it but it shouldn't be unexpected.

Good man, Marc. Pretty much the only things I've seen are unsubstantiated rumors, hearsay, and of course that one comment from Williams where he was just being polite. All real evidence has always pointed to Williams not coming back.

What *real evidence*? There wasn't any. I think that was the problem. Just saying it wasn't *pointless* to speculate about it based on the things said. There is a general consensus that Williams was 'just being polite', but that's not factual. Certainly have never heard Williams expressing a desire to score another Superman or Jaws film 'out of politeness'.

Thinking about it, it is very odd that I, not being a die hard Williams fan, have to defend the desire to bring Williams back for the conclusion of a series that he started with a classic, on a John Williams fan board.

Would it have been announced 10 year back that Williams wouldn't do the sequel to Jurassic Park, I don't think I would have been told to "get over it".

Well, I don't think there was an outcry when he didn't do JP3, and I for one like most of Davis's score.

(then again, slightly different scenario as it's not an ongoing storyline... but that wasn't the case with Lost World, either)

But Jurassic Park was an instant classic, and hadn't Williams been hired for Lost World, that would have caused an uproar.

After all, nobody could foresee the movie would be like ... this.