Intrada presents Spacecamp

Ollie

The quality of the music doesn't even have much to do with it. It's the demand.

Well yeah, but quality of the music has to play at least some role! If the music is crappy, why would anyone demand it?

Okay, this is really starting to grow on me.

Especially "In Orbit," "White Sands," and "SpaceCamp" are fantastic, plus the first and last tracks.

But yeah, the whole album is great.

I have never seen the movie, so I'm reaally eager to see it now (although I understand the movie is only so-so).

Hmmm, I am starting to wonder.

If I really love the score (of SpaceCamp) without having seen the movie, could watching the bad movie (SpaceCamp) ruin the score for me... ?

Anybody ever made such an experience?

Hmmm I think it's possible, though. If a movie is really atrocious...

However, in the case of SpaceCamp I think I am willing to take the chance. At least I get to see Lea Thompson in space! :)

If I really love the score (of SpaceCamp) without having seen the movie, could watching the bad movie (SpaceCamp) ruin the score for me... ?

I've definitely had my enjoyment of a score damaged by seeing the film, or grown to enjoy a score more after going a long time without seeing the film. I haven't seen SpaceCamp and don't intend to, as I probably would enjoy the score less. Of course, the converse is that a really great film can make me enjoy a good score more than I otherwise would have. I guess I have to concede that I don't listen to music in a vacuum, and although I do pay quite a bit of attention to the music itself, my opinions can be shifted somewhat in either direction by what I associate it with.

Well, I've had an experience with Heartbeeps but I can't say it ruined the score for me.

I had listened first to the score which i thought it was a fairly good score amd then I saw the film which I never thought it would be soooo bad!

Nonetheless, it didn't ruin my thoughts of the score..

Regarding Spacecamp, I think i had stated before in this thread, that I love BOTH the score and the movie. Perhaps it's because I had seen it first time in my childhood and it was one of those VHS that I had seen many-many times and when I got a couple of years ago the DVD i was very touched and emotional.. :blush:

However, in the case of SpaceCamp I think I am willing to take the chance. At least I get to see Lea Thompson in space! :)

yes, I agree that you should take the chance to see it. And when you've seen it, please share your thoughts about it here. I'm really interested to see what other people think about it who saw it first time now and not in their childhood (I assume that you're older than 18, right?) :P

In my opinion it's even better than "The Explorers".

I watched it for the first time about a year ago or so. Wasn't great, wasn't terrible. But it's kinda fun. However, that film was the first time I heard Eric Clapton's "Forever Man", and I haven't been the same since.

It sold out in less than 24 hours!

The fixed copies that came in are only allowed to be sent to the people who bought one of the original ones. Intrada was only licensed to sell 3,000 copies of the score.

I guarantee there will be many copies of the CD on ebay for years to come now that there are essentially 6,000 copies of the score out there (but only 3,000 booklets)

And certain people no doubt unscrupulously bought copies of the CD just to sell on eBay for vastly inflated prices.

As they no doubt often (or is it always?!) do with the limited editions nowadays, especially the 1000-2000 units ones. It's sad but I guess nothing can be done against it. <_<

And certain people no doubt unscrupulously bought copies of the CD just to sell on eBay for vastly inflated prices.

As they no doubt often (or is it always?!) do with the limited editions nowadays, especially the 1000-2000 units ones. It's sad but I guess nothing can be done against it. <_<

Personally I have no problems if someone has a CD they no longer want and dumps it on ebay. Of course if it's your only copy.

However, I definitely don't like it when someone buys more than one copy (besides the one they keep for themselves) to dump on ebay later on for inflated prices. I really dislike those type of people.

• 1 month later...

I'm just now catching up with this (finally), and I went to the website to purchase the CD (finally), and it's sold out. CRAP!!!

I still own the original cassette release, but I was hoping for the disc and booklet. This remains one of Williams' bright spots from the late 80's. It was indeed a fun film (yes, as a kid). Even with the seasoning of age, I still remember how effective the launch scene played with the booming music giving it an extra lift.

Well, I suppose I'm off to ebay, then. . . . <_<

- Uni

I don't know if I ever said how happy I am this got an official release, it's a wonderful little score. Between this, Black Sunday, and Family Plot it was a hell of a year for Williams gems.

I'm just now catching up with this (finally), and I went to the website to purchase the CD (finally), and it's sold out. CRAP!!!

I still own the original cassette release, but I was hoping for the disc and booklet. This remains one of Williams' bright spots from the late 80's. It was indeed a fun film (yes, as a kid). Even with the seasoning of age, I still remember how effective the launch scene played with the booming music giving it an extra lift.

Well, I suppose I'm off to ebay, then. . . . <_<

- Uni

Uni, when I get my replacement copy from Intrada, I'll gladly sell the original disc to you for the original price ($19.99). Shipping included. (I will note that there is a slight jump in one of the earlier tracks, hence why Intrada did the replacement offer.)

You can PM me for further details.

• 7 years later...

I just want to bump this thread to highlight some great service from Intrada.  I bought SpaceCamp when it was first reissued on CD back in 2010 but I never got round to requesting the replacement disc at the time.  When I bought Apollo 13 and Cocoon recently (you can tell I was in a spaceship kind of mood), I thought I would be cheeky and ask if they still had any of the replacement discs.  Well lo and behold, today I received my corrected CD from the good folks at Intrada, sandwiched betwixt a brace of Horners, more than eight years after my original purchase!

On 12/21/2010 at 4:37 PM, Jay said:

It sold out in less than 24 hours!

The fixed copies that came in are only allowed to be sent to the people who bought one of the original ones. Intrada was only licensed to sell 3,000 copies of the score.

Those were the days! I bought two copies in anticipation of just such a sellout, thinking I could trade the second one. I'm still sitting with it (and the replacement disc).

56 minutes ago, Omen II said:

I just want to bump this thread to highlight some great service from Intrada.  I bought SpaceCamp when it was first reissued on CD back in 2010 but I never got round to requesting the replacement disc at the time.  When I bought Apollo 13 and Cocoon recently (you can tell I was in a spaceship kind of mood), I thought I would be cheeky and ask if they still had any of the replacement discs.  Well lo and behold, today I received my corrected CD from the good folks at Intrada, sandwiched betwixt a brace of Horners, more than eight years after my original purchase!

I had a similar positive experience with Goodbye, Mr. Chips and SAE. I bought mine on initial release in 2005 and only discovered in 2011 after reading a thread on FSM that discs 1 and 3 were causing problems with playback and ripping on the last few tracks. I e-mailed Ed at SAE and he was willing to send me an extra corrected set with no questions asked. I didn't even have to pay for shipping! That's some fantastic customer service.

I regularly E-mail all the labels and tell them my copy is defective, although I don't actually own the scores. Their "replacement" copies have made fine additions to my collection.

On 1/26/2019 at 10:53 PM, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

I regularly E-mail all the labels and tell them my copy is defective, although I don't actually own the scores. Their "replacement" copies have made fine additions to my collection.

That is pretty sporting of you. I am sure they appreciate your efforts.

• 1 year later...

I don't think there is any requirement to provide that in a straight OST reissue, so they might not have even dug it out. 

On 1/26/2019 at 9:36 PM, JTWfan77 said:

Those were the days! I bought two copies in anticipation of just such a sellout, thinking I could trade the second one. I'm still sitting with it (and the replacement disc).

I'll buy it for a dollar!

• 1 year later...

The complete cue list in film order, with film durations (some are slightly longer on the OST):

Source: GEMA Repertoire

Main Title 3:00

*Jinx Connection 0:20

Training Montage 1:40

Jinse [sic] in the Computer Room [The Computer Room] 1:04

*Jinx Makes His Move 1:46

Friends Forever 2:15

The Shuttle 3:46

Lift Off [The Shuttle part 2] 1:09

In Orbit 3:01

Insufficient Oxygen [White Sands part 1] 3:37

*Arriving at Daedalus 0:43

*More Morse Code 1:08

Viewing Daedalus 2:12

*Can't Reach It 1:38

Max Finds Courage 2:13

Max Breaks Loose 1:56

*Rudy Comes Through 1:32

Andie Is Hurt [Andie Is Stranded] 3:43

White Sands 3:25

Re-entry 3:25

Home Again 2:09

End Credits 4:04

*unreleased

SpaceCamp, with a $18 million budget, actually had a bigger budget than Top Gun the same year ($15 million), and on par with Back to the Future the previous year ($19 million).

Having finally seen the movie after already living with the soundtrack for a while, I was amazed to discover this majestic music doesn’t underscore an inspiring shot of the space shuttle or the night sky, but a very 1980s robot having a monotone conversation with a computer terminal!

C73511B3-4C6E-4423-83F9-FAC23FC87AE3.jpeg

Also, while it was too late to change the premise of the film, you’d think they might have made a couple edits in the interest of sensitivity after the Challenger disaster, but apparently not.

075B4EA5-B4DC-4412-B2E7-F41B45A9B588.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 3 months later...