Intrada presents Spacecamp

Ollie

We already have a thread

Exciting news...I remember back in the day when Jane Eyre, The Witches of Eastwick, The Accidental Tourist, and SpaceCamp were the Williams CD releases that were impossible to get. Finally, they're all readily available. We've come a long way. :cool:

We already have a thread

Exciting news...I remember back in the day when Jane Eyre, The Witches of Eastwick, The Accidental Tourist, and SpaceCamp were the Williams CD releases that were impossible to get. Finally, they're all readily available. We've come a long way. :cool:

I was thinking about this recently while going through the stuff from the 80s era, which was something of a gap in the chronology just a few years ago. In recent years we've gotten those OOP soundtracks reissued, the Superman IV music (which I never even knew about), Indy set, Heartbeeps, Monsignor, random $5 The River sale at SAE, now SpaceCamp. Just keep 'em coming. We love this stuff.

I only started collecting earlier this year and I'm already quite spoiled.

And Jane Eyre? Not exactly readily available, is it?

That's one I'm hoping will get re-released in time.

Sweet...ordered. I wish this were a longer release, but no biggie. I'm looking forward to hearing this. Yet another reminder of why it's often not a good idea to pay exorbitant prices for old Williams releases these days.

Hey Mark...you could have at least post it in the Intrada thread, no need to have made a separate thread. :P

You didn't "get" Hlao-roo's tongue-in-cheek comment, obviously.

We already have a thread

Why not resurrect the last SpaceCamp thread from June, while we're at it?

http://jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19026&st=0&p=646864&hl=spacecamp&fromsearch=1entry646864

Y'all are turning into a bunch of Illinois Thread Nazis. I hate Illinois Thread Nazis.

We need a new complete chronological release of that. I think the album was a re-recording.

We need a new complete chronological release of that. I think the album was a re-recording.

With the Pops Britannia concert arrangements included as well.

Ordered a few minutes ago!!!! Can't wait to here it remastered!!!!

It does not seem to be remastered or in need of remastering. "Intrada presents original album (a then generous 48 minutes) in stereo direct from RCA album masters now vaulted by Sony."

No remastering. This is how catfights start at FSM.

"Intrada presents original album (a then generous 48 minutes) in stereo direct from RCA album masters now vaulted by Sony."

I just placed an order for Spaceamp along with Tadlow's Lawrence of Arabia and FSM's Under Fire. I won't see the set until mid-September, which is when I figure my July 27 LLR Batman order will arrive...

I ordered it for the hell it. My Japanese c.d. has these little holes in it ...it could be deteriorating

Anyways now my rant.

As usual with Williams scores , no unreleased music ,and this one isn't even re-mastered. This release sucks balls and a gigantic disappointment. That's all I have to say about it.

As usual with Williams scores , no unreleased music ,and this one isn't even re-mastered.

It is remastered. Roger wrote it clearly in the press release:

Although the album was not presented in narrative sequence, it was a powerful listening experience assembled by Williams and that original 14-track program has been retained here, remastered for dramatically improved sound over previous issues.

And about the missing unreleased music, Roger said this:

I tried to expand it, but the licensor that controlled the extra material just wasn't mobilizing. At least, I waited a year and finally decided to move along. But honestly, this had always been a long program and a great album. There was really only one additional cue (and a short one), that I wanted to add. But the masters for the extra music were of differing sound quality, so it would have been in a bonus section anyway.

Well those who don't have it and don't download music can listen to how magnificent the Main Titles are. I tell you this score is underrated

And in fairness, Intrada did try and expand the album but whoever holds the rights wasn't interested or wouldn't get their ass in gear, so after a year Roger went ahead with the original album presentation.

I can't even remember how much music is missing.

This score is pervasively underrated. I always thought most people didn't like it because they suffered from the sour grapes problem. But, I was always biased because I absolutely adored this movie whm I was a kid. It is single handedly responsible for my parents having to take me multiple times to Kennedy Space Center.

It doesn't matter what the excuse is, it's always the same thing...Witches of Eastwick, Accidental Tourist, Monsignor...none of them expanded. And now Spacecamp (there is one GREAT unreleased cue I can think of)

Every single obscure Jerry Goldsmith score they managed to get the complete score on one c.d. and the original album on the second c.d.

It doesn't matter what the excuse is, it's always the same thing...Witches of Eastwick, Accidental Tourist, Monsignor...none of them expanded. And now Spacecamp (there is one GREAT unreleased cue I can think of)

Every single obscure Jerry Goldsmith score they managed to get the complete score on one c.d. and the original album on the second c.d.

No they don't, stop it.

It's not a waste at all.

It is single handedly responsible for my parents having to take me multiple times to Kennedy Space Center.

My parents took us there too while we were on vacation at Disney/Universal. We were young and into space (Star Wars, Trek, etc.) and I just remember being disappointed with the space center. From my memory it was little more than abandoned launch structures and warehouse buildings with stuff inside of it. Well, over at Disney you could fly in Star Wars space battles and at Universal, you could be in a Star Trek movie. NASA was a snooze.

But, I was always biased because I absolutely adored this movie whm I was a kid. It is single handedly responsible for my parents having to take me multiple times to Kennedy Space Center.

The film was far from great imho, but, as I wrote on FSM, it was made during a time when filmmakers let their composers make the music breathe and enrich the picture. Williams clearly saw something that inspired him to write soaring, uplifting music that really catches the sense of wonder and amazement of being at zero gravity in space.

Plus, even as early as 6 years old, I was mega crushing on Lea Thompson.

Thanks for that Maurizio.

I stand corrected, Demondm810. Sorry.

No prob! It's still not very clear to me. I had just remembered Roger saying they used old, muddy analog masters for the Japanese CD. I'm hoping it will be a revelation to hear it opened up an more crisp.

I believe Doug or Roger mentioned that the engineers in Japan like to use the 1/4" analog masters for most of the releases there, even if better elements existed.

And what's more, they're doing it all just to piss you off.

Who the hell cares about complete versions of those scores, anyway? Maybe Witches of Eastwick, but the priority it still Hook, Indys, Harry Potter, Star Wars prequels, etc. Right, KM? Monsignor? Accidental Tourist? I'm really quite satisfied with the albums. Those releases are perfect.

Ehhhhh.... I would prefer complete any time iit is available. No matter how "not Star Wars" it might be. Many times the non-album cues will help me appreciate a score even more. And with Williams, if he wrote it, I want it.

I don't want to drag this thread further down the ridiculous conspiracy theory route, we need to celebrate this release, but Witches of Eastwick hasn't even been done by any of the specialty labels yet.

The Accidental Tourist and Monsignor were creative decisions because there really wasn't that much music missing and the album presentations were strong. I believe Monsignor, the album, has more music than what appears in the film.

The sound is stunning, even in the compressed mp3's! I just listened to my original SpaceCamp, the new version is much brighter sounding. Will buy!

I would gladly take complete scores as much as the next fan. Hell, I'm desperate for the ones I listed, as well as others. But I absolutely do not want to turn into a bitter fanatic like KM. This is obviously a bitchin' release. Williams' original intended presentation is actually pretty good and only a 30-something second fanfare is missing. The rest of the film music world that missed out on this is purchasing with a smile on their face.

Well I think this was the big Williams release and we can kiss Family Plot and Hook goodbye fore a few years.

I said in an earlier thread it was going a re-issue and every self respecting Williams fan probably d/led MP3's of it already

Yea, I'm not upset. I know Intrada always does the best they can. Can't wait to get this Thursday and delete the old one from the HD! I'm looking forward to the notes on this one as well.