Intrada presents Spacecamp

Ollie

i still wonder why did got sold out so quickly.

some better and expanded scores take much more time to get sold.

i suppose it was that since it was just an exclusive japanese cd, most of the people didnt had this score in original form.

I have yet to receive the replacement disc and it has been nearly 2 weeks since I asked them to mail it. I simply can't listen to the original faulty disc, it has a crack in its perfection that disturbs my perfectionist soul. Outrageous! :P

This movie was a childhood favorite of mine and nothing brings a smile to my face like music from movies I loved as a kid. I had the original release and while this is pretty much the same thing, I'm still thrilled to have it.

Objectively, most wouldn't consider it among Williams' best but as a sentimental pick for me, it can't be beat.

i still wonder why did got sold out so quickly.

some better and expanded scores take much more time to get sold.

i suppose it was that since it was just an exclusive japanese cd, most of the people didnt had this score in original form.

Correct, since only a 1000 copies of the Japanese issue were issued and it's John Williams, I can't say I'm surprised it went quickly.

Off the top of my head... 30 seconds into Max Finds Courage.

Btw, it sold out in 23 hours. Not 48. Something like 20 minutes slower than Predators.

Josh, you got lucky by receiving the corrected disc; and for $30, be happy. In time this thing will revert back to its original cost on the secondary market. $200+

I still haven't asked for the corrected disc, I'm waiting for something to order from Intrada. If there's nothing I want from tomorrow's batch, I may just order Patton.

So should we do a giveaway for those who missed on Spacecamp with our defective discs? What are people doing with theirs?

I'll laminate it and put in a nice frame with a golden plaque: Lest we forget. It will be there to remind me and all that not everything JW related is flawless even if the music is.

So should we do a giveaway for those who missed on Spacecamp with our defective discs? What are people doing with theirs?

I'll laminate it and put in a nice frame with a golden plaque: Lest we forget. It will be there to remind me and all that not everything JW related is flawless even if the music is.

If I could get a signature that would be a perfect idea.

If I recall correctly, the faulty discs also have the wrong catalog number printed on them, and the fixed discs have the right one.

Btw, it sold out in 23 hours. Not 48. Something like 20 minutes slower than Predators.

:blink: Family Plot didn't sell so quickly, not to mention the Indy Box!

I feel like I've stumbled across some hidden treasure...

Josh, you got lucky by receiving the corrected disc; and for $30, be happy. In time this thing will revert back to its original cost on the secondary market. $200+

I still haven't asked for the corrected disc, I'm waiting for something to order from Intrada. If there's nothing I want from tomorrow's batch, I may just order Patton.

I just got it today, and I haven't listened to it yet. God forbid, I have two flawed discs! :lol:

If I recall correctly, the faulty discs also have the wrong catalog number printed on them, and the fixed discs have the right one.

Yeap, that is correct.

Well it was OOP for a very long time before Intrada finally re-issued it this summer. Roger Feigelson had hoped to expand it to the complete score, but the people who own the music were being completely uncooperative so in the end they just re-issued the original LP from the album master.

Anyways, if you want to read about the whole defective discs fiasco, it starts around here:
http://jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19200&view=findpost&p=657985

Thanks!

I probably read about 50% of what's being posted here. And I completely missed that!

:blink: Family Plot didn't sell so quickly, not to mention the Indy Box!

Family Plot isn't even close to selling out.

well if it was limited at 3000 copies it would be close to or would have by now

Poltergeist will NEVER sell out. I'll be picking it up for 10$ on sale next year

for whatever reason, Intrada's seem to go quickly.

However FP is at 5000, so it's possible 3000 may have gone already. Plus it is the holiday season and people have other priorities.

well if it was 3000 copies it would be close to or would have by now

Poltergeist will NEVER sell out

Good, that means this great score will be available for many years to come, just like Black Sunday

So is the Spacecamp music so mindblowingly good that it warrants all the fuss it gets?

Can't wait to listen to the album in its entirety.

It's not up there with the greats of Williams' works but it's a good score.

So is the Spacecamp music so mindblowingly good that it warrants all the fuss it gets?

Can't wait to listen to the album in its entirety.

If you like Williams "type" of writing for E.T. ,Hook, Harry Potter, Amazing Stories and his Olympic celebratory fanfares...this is probably the most typical example of it

It is very hard to anticipate the success of some releases amoung the fans. A score like Space Camp obviously has a fanatic following as does Predator, which on the other hand is a genre classic.

Yay. I've got the Volume 145 AND the Volume 140. :)

So, those of you who have the correct CD... what d`you do with the faulty one? Use it as a cup coaster? :P

OK just listened to the album straight through once. This is good, I guess... some tracks seem great, although I probably have to listen to it a couple more times to really appreciate it. Especially the first track, the last track, and "In Orbit" have stuck in my mind so far.

Yay. I've got the Volume 145 AND the Volume 140. :)

So, those of you who have the correct CD... what d`you do with the faulty one? Use it as a cup coaster? :P

for christsake no!

you can give it to some friend who wanted it but could not grab it before it sold out.

you can give it to some friend who wanted it but could not grab it before it sold out.

You can have my extra copy man, I'll PM you and we can sort out the details, etc .....at least it won't cost much to send it ;)

for whatever reason, Intrada's seem to go quickly.

However FP is at 5000, so it's possible 3000 may have gone already. Plus it is the holiday season and people have other priorities.

Varese has sold 2136 copies of Family Plot. However, I think that having an item at 3000 makes selling one copy a lot faster, because people are afraid it'll go out of print. I'm sure many are planning on buying FP next year since there are 5000 copies so it won't go anytime soon. People with SpaceCamp new that 3000 copies meant a matter of hours.

I have to disagree. 3,000 has been the standard. Look at FSM, they rarely sell out, but then of course there's that whole thing with them pressing more than what they said they did. Either way, I think the surprise attack of Predator selling out in under 24 hours made people jump on SpaceCamp just as quickly. Add that to the fact SpaceCamp was the most difficult JW score to obtain.

In defense of Predator, Roger did admit he under-estimated the demand for the score. I think had he really read the demand for it, chances are it would have been a 5,000 unit or maybe even a 10,000 unit release.

I think Roger made the perfect business decision. There were already 3,000 copies out there from a fairly recent release by Varese. This one was virtually the same CD, how could he have known it'd be the fastest sell out out of all the labels?

Oh, and I got one too.

I think Roger made the perfect business decision. There were already 3,000 copies out there from a fairly recent release by Varese. This one was virtually the same CD, how could he have known it'd be the fastest sell out out of all the labels?

Oh, and I got one too.

It really wasn't the same CD. It had better sound quality yes, but some editing factors made it different from Varèse.

I was able to get a copy.

Oh, and I got one too.

And? Is the music itself worth all the attention this release has gotten so far?

I have seen the movie, of course, but it was a long time ago, and I can't really remember the music.

You know, I am a John Williams completist (pretty much) and a big Jerry Goldsmith fan, but that's it. So unless an Alan Silvestri score really grabs me (like BTTF), I am not apt to get it.

I was just trying to understand what's all the fuss about this Predator release.

The fuss probably has to do with the old Varese copy selling for $200+ on eBay, just like SpaceCamp.

I would never spend 200$ for a CD.

But anyway, the fact that someone offers the Varese copy for $200+ probably means the music is not too shabby...

Hell, I gotta rewatch that movie some time.

The quality of the music doesn't even have much to do with it. It's the demand. By nature, if something is sold out it's going to fetch a higher price on the secondary market. Low quantity + high demand = Very high value.

Fools Of Fortune is an old crappy Hans Zimmer score, but since it's virtually impossible to find one for sale anywhere, it'll cost you a pretty penny.