Michael Giacchino to score Star Tours II

Kendal_Ozzel

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I always assumed it was going to draw heavily on the scores for the films, but I figured Giacchino was re-recording them, like Bellis did. It's kind of a surprise to me that they apparently opted to just use the original recordings. That would put some constraints on how they can edit it, but if it's well-spotted and there aren't noticeable changes in sound quality (or musically unsatisfactory edits), it should theoretically be fine.

Hopefully Giacchino's queue music will indeed be fantastic. He seems much more skilled at the sorts of genres demanded by that environment than at creating a Williams-like sound, so it very well may be the best way it could have turned out. I would love to hear Bellis' work be at least hinted at. At the very least, I hope they included that 5-note signal Bellis used in all his...queue cues. :P

EDIT: I agree, Bellis's ride score worked very well. The sound quality isn't as nice as the original recordings - somehow, it sounds rather small and plasticky to me. But that's really only noticeable when listening at home. And the music fit the different scenes very well, so I had no complaints. (His work on the Indiana Jones attraction a few years later was equally good...I really like the choices of music in that ride.)

Like Star Tours II, Williams and his editor were in charge of all the ride music for the original. Bellis, like MG, only did the pre and post ride music. I was told they did have some recording sessions to help with transitions for the original ride. I'd imagine with software today, they didn't need to do that this time, and could solely rely on music editing for the ride.

Thanks for the input, Chris, as always! I've got to admit, though, I'm having a hard time reconciling that with this quote from an interview with Bellis:

Unfortunately I didn’t get to work with John Williams personally. I, like so many of my colleagues, am a huge fan of his work, so it was a special treat to be able to go through his scores and sketches to see exactly what he had done. He is a brilliant musician. None of the music was “temped” in when I came on board either of these projects. I am usually brought in early enough that things are still on paper or prototypes are being mocked-up in the workshop. It’s the perfect time to bring in the music person in my opinion. We did quite a bit of editing John’s music together to get it just right for Star Tours. The picture would keep changing and getting better and we would re-work the music. An evolutionary process. Then, only when we thought everything was “set in stone” did we commit to a recording session with an 86 piece orchestra in order to create a seamless score for the attraction.

I like that Bellis re-recorded the end credit from Empire with Yoda's theme. Only because in all its perfection and clearly being one of JW's best achievements, that suite has never been re-recorded outside of Gerhardt and what Bellis did. Interestingly, both re-recordings feature an awkward error. Data probably knows what I'm talking about in regards to Bellis. Gerhardt kinda butchered that wonderful segue from the Imperial march to the love theme. A bit of a tangent, but relevant. Something I care about, anyway.

I think the re-recorded end credits worked very well, yeah. Are you referring to the wrong note in Yoda's theme? I'd forgotten about that - had to listen to the recording again to figure out what you were talking about, haha. I'm also not very fond of the segue from Yoda's theme into the Imperial March - it's missing those octaves that are held over the beginning of the ostinato. As I recall, that's how the edited it in the film, and it's included in the Anthology set that way as a bonus track, so there is some precedent...but I don't like it, and it's not how Williams intended for it to work. Originally, the ESB credits featured a shorter Yoda's theme segment, and then he wrote the insert to lengthen it. The end of the insert is those first four bars of the Imperial March ostinato, with the strings (etc.) playing that sustained note over part of it; in the film version and in Bellis's re-recording, they basically chop off those last four bars of the insert and use the original version instead, which is just the ostinato without the higher octaves held over it.

On a side note...WOW, what an amazing end credits suite. I mean, that's not news to me, but from time to time, I'm reminded of how great it is. Truly one of the best end credits suites I've ever heard.

Thanks for the input, Chris, as always! I've got to admit, though, I'm having a hard time reconciling that with this quote from an interview with Bellis:

Unfortunately I didn’t get to work with John Williams personally. I, like so many of my colleagues, am a huge fan of his work, so it was a special treat to be able to go through his scores and sketches to see exactly what he had done. He is a brilliant musician. None of the music was “temped” in when I came on board either of these projects. I am usually brought in early enough that things are still on paper or prototypes are being mocked-up in the workshop. It’s the perfect time to bring in the music person in my opinion. We did quite a bit of editing John’s music together to get it just right for Star Tours. The picture would keep changing and getting better and we would re-work the music. An evolutionary process. Then, only when we thought everything was “set in stone” did we commit to a recording session with an 86 piece orchestra in order to create a seamless score for the attraction.

Well, that Williams edited the music and had pick up sessions is what I was told. Obviously, Bellis would have a better recollection of what happened, I suppose. The person who told me could have been mistaken on exactly how it was done. It was over 20 years ago after all. The most important thing though that I heard is that Williams is very protective of Star Wars and wishes to be involved or have approval in things relating to Star Wars. So, it's quite possible that Bellis did re-record a lot of Star Wars music for the ride, with Williams overseeing it in some way.

I actually do rather like the sound of Bellis' ESB end titles (you can find it floating around on the Japanese "Treasures of Fantasy" set if you look hard enough). I think his best work is still in the queue though, since he obviously got to be a lot more creative and really nailed that "travel agency" sound, for lack of a better term.

As an aside, I'm not sure if Bellis actually composed it himself or not, but the Temple Area Drums from Indy are totally groovy.

Are you referring to the background tracks for the indoor queue? Bellis didn't have much to do with those - they were created by a WDI sound designer named Joe Herrington, according to Bellis in that interview I linked above. If you're referring to the synth drum beats that come from the adjacent Tarzan's Treehouse, I'm not sure who did those, though they're based on songs from the movie.

I'm so bummed that I missed out on that whole kiosk system. :( I would have bought so many CDs. I mean, the official album releases are great, but they do tend to skimp on the more obscure tracks that can often be just as evocative and wonderful as the big ones.

Anyway, agreed about the indoor queue music/sound design. Absolutely top-notch. Totally enhances the mood of an environment that was already masterfully crafted to begin with.

That's the abandoned droid motif from Attack of the Clones. Giacchino must have had access to the original manuscripts.

I was expecting it and I still want to ride this many times, but I'm disappointed by the re-dressed waiting line.

The version of the AOTC droid motif sounded just like the opening version of Yoda's theme for the opening, and the crash for the ending

Seriously though, you can hear some of Giacchino's arrangements here:

Nothing spectacular. He used the Empire droid motif, Little People Work, Parade of the Ewoks and Lando's Palace (I guess).

More

They kept Bellis' jingles! It'll be interesting to hear the in-ride soundtracks, though one wonders why you'd hire Giacchino just to stitch together cues from the original films. I mean, yeah, I'm sure he does it really, really well, but aren't his talents being somewhat wasted in that capacity? On the other hand, if we get more cool stuff like the unused theme for the Droids, I ain't complaining.

The man does not seem to realize he's on Oscar winning. He should not be doing this kind of hack work.

Can you imagine Jerry Goldsmith, Bernard Herrmann, Alfred Newman doing cut and past rearrangements of other people's work for the them park ride?

It's undignified!

were there theme park rides in the days of Bernard Herrman and Alfred Newman? (I hope I do not get "Idiot!" as a response)

I was just screwing around about that music. Actually, I have no idea what that Gilderoy Lockart/No Ticket-sounding music is.

It's possible your humour is just a TAD too dry for me. ;)

That said, I'm sort of glad it's not some lost Droids theme as you jested. It means that Mikey might've gotten to record some ORIGINAL material that fits in sound-wise with the Williams rearrangements. We really won't know for sure until someone manages to record the on-ride audio for each path over the next few weeks.

were there theme park rides in the days of Bernard Herrman and Alfred Newman? (I hope I do not get "Idiot!" as a response)

Of course there were! amusement parks have been there hundreds of years. Disneyland has been open since the 50's!

Idiot!

Not sure why I'm just now noticing these things, but here's source video for one of the queue videos. Went online about a month ago:

If the underscore is Giacchino's work, then he's done a great job of emulating the same "Travel Agency" sound that Bellis captured. I really like the music playing over the Alderaan segment. It's a lovely slow, romantic take on Bellis' Star Tours theme.

I was lucky enough to go to Disney for the press event (and a vacation) and rode the ride 5 times while i was there. Oddly enough, none of the planets shown in the video on the last page are even on the ride (alderaan, endor, etc). It pretty much kicks ass but anyone looking to notice the music is going to be massively disappointed. Ben Burtt must have mixed this thing because it's so low that you're not going to be paying attention to it.

Tough to hear, but some more.

A choir-less arrangement of Williams' "Victory Celebration" from the Special Edition of Return of the Jedi...

Slashfilm reported earlier today that Disney had put out a featurette on Giacchino scoring Star Tours

It's since been turned private

• 2 weeks later...
:lol: That's the first time in a while that I've seen a Disneyland commercial I really liked. I'd heard about Vader making an appearance at the parade...nice to see it was for a good cause.

My favorite part had to have been the shot of Vader in the Haunted Mansion. They did a nice job of matching the lightsaber effect to what's seen in the films.

I swear to goodness about a week ago I read in a compsoers bio, I think it was Joel McNeely or Bruce Broughton, they said they were going to adapt Williams' music for this ride.

I know this is nitpicking, but why doesn't Vader actually look like an official Vader in official promotional material? The costume, the helmet, the body of the guy in the suit...it all looks kinda cheap. The commercial was cute, but I just find it a bit sad and hilarious how terribly Vader is constantly portrayed at a very basic level. Friggin' fan-made looking costume.

As a Star Wars fan with no specific Vader suit expertise, I don't see anything particularly objectionable about them. I suppose the original looks a little less plasticky, but the difference is very subtle. The performance and body type are a little off, but then again, no one fills the suit quite like David Prowse did.

What does bother me a little is the painfully Photoshoppish on-ride photo of Vader...how hard would it have been to send the actor (or anyone, really!) through there in the suit and show the actual ride photo?

As for the sound, Jay, you're not missing anything crucial - there's no dialogue or anything. It opens and ends with parts of the Imperial March, with all the happy-go-lucky stuff in the middle being scored by a goofy, whimsical version of the theme,

• 4 weeks later...