Michael Giacchino to score Star Tours II

Kendal_Ozzel

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds...off.

Indeed. But it is a little akin to asking a cartoonist to adapt the work of Tizian or Vermeer; there is so much lacking in terms of skill, discipline and taste, that what you'll end up getting is, at best, a decent charicature.

I don't like the Throne Room rendition, but some stuff like the Lando's Palace theme sound interesting

But what is the point of this endeavour?

Probably just to update the music, much like the ride, and get rid of that sound from the 80's & 90's.

Wasn't meant to be a big premiere event and garner awards and certainly not deserving of the usual boorish comments from some in this thread.

I know this is nitpicking, but why doesn't Vader actually look like an official Vader in official promotional material? The costume, the helmet, the body of the guy in the suit...it all looks kinda cheap. The commercial was cute, but I just find it a bit sad and hilarious how terribly Vader is constantly portrayed at a very basic level. Friggin' fan-made looking costume.

I think the suit looks fine.

It actually looks a bit like the full size Rubies Supreme suit. Which I plan to get one of these days to do a full size mannequin. I am not completely nit-picky when it comes to the suit, it doesn't have to have the 100% authentication like in the films. Honestly if it looks close enough for me then I'll be happy with it.

BTW loved the commercial though.

I don't like that version of The Throne Room either. I still want to hear all of this. Not because I'm a Giacchino fan, because it's interpretations of Star Wars music and Williams was supposedly involved somehow.

I finally rode the attraction for the first time today. I'll spare you my long-winded comments* on the things about the whole ride that absolutely rocked and the things that absolutely sucked (there wasn't much in between), but as for the music...

First off, I greatly appreciated the old Star Tours music that was brought back - some of the original queue music, the original exit music, stuff like that. That 5-note musical signature is still very much there, as I hoped it would be. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. There was also a loop of what sounded like the original recordings of various pieces (e.g., "The Asteroid Field") in the extended queue...can't remember if that was the same or not, but it worked nicely, and I noticed several other guests humming the Imperial March in (poor) unison with the music. I didn't really notice any of Giacchino's work, which puzzled me, but maybe I just went through at the wrong time. Even more puzzling was the fact that I barely remember ANY music in the ride itself! I think I remember Leia's theme being heard at an appropriate moment in the middle, but I feel like I remember a complete lack of music elsewhere! I'm sure it was there, but normally, I notice these things. I'll have to pay more attention to that next time.

* In short, you should definitely go experience this attraction if you get a chance - preferably first thing in the morning or with FastPass - but know that it's essentially a prequel-style CG film, and that CG is worse than in the prequels themselves. If you can get past that (and downgrades in the queue), you should be able to have a great time.

Well, there usually aren't many major modifications to an attraction once it's open. They do happen from time to time, usually as part of larger refurbishments, but I don't think they would open an attraction and then change the music a few weeks in or something.

I know this is nitpicking, but why doesn't Vader actually look like an official Vader in official promotional material? The costume, the helmet, the body of the guy in the suit...it all looks kinda cheap. The commercial was cute, but I just find it a bit sad and hilarious how terribly Vader is constantly portrayed at a very basic level. Friggin' fan-made looking costume.

The irony here is that most licensed Star Wars costumes are way poorer than fan-made suits. The suits worn by Disney employees are often much worse than the 501st costumes worn at Star Wars Weekends. Get the right fan-made stuff, and you get attention to detail no license-holder can ever mass manufacture.

But your point still stands... it could be better for the commercial. But it didn't detract from the brilliance of the ad for me, and I am a stickler for detail.

I rode the ride a couple of weeks ago. Very cool, immersive experience. I highly recommend you check it out if you're in Anaheim (did they update the Orlando version as well?) The music didn't stand out to me except in the queue - it seemed like some of the music I heard was straight off the 1997 ESB release, but maybe it was a re-recording (it was definitely touched up, but didn't seem to be a complete re-write). I'll have to pay more attention on the ride next time I'm there to hear Giacchino's music.

Yeah, Walt Disney World opened the updated version in May, I believe.

I can't get over how marvelous the Dolby 3D is. The people who made the ride film could have set up the stereoscopy a little better, IMHO, but it's exceedingly rare for that to be handled perfectly, so I try to have low expectations on that front these days. And anyway, yeah, the Dolby 3D technology really impressed me. Crystal-clear, no ghosting, no brightness discrepancies between the two views, no flickering, great color fidelity and brightness...quite an improvement over the polarization-based techniques that have dominated 3D cinema in recent years, I think.

I rode the attraction for the second time last night. I got the podracing and Leia hologram again, but I started off with Vader and ended with Coruscant, so it was nice to get some variety. I listened more closely to the music this time. I still didn't hear anything that Giacchino would have worked on, which is perplexing, but I did notice the music in the ride itself. It's mixed pretty quietly, and there are some parts that really don't have any music at all, so I'm not surprised that I barely noticed it the first time. The original made MUCH more prominent use of the music. I'm also realizing that this new incarnation isn't all that satisfying in terms of...story arc, for lack of a better term. The original had a great flow to it, and it all culminated with the destruction of the Death Star. This one has no climax. You escape from Imperial forces, visit a random location, then visit another random location, and then you land at some point. Leaves you with a feeling of, "Oh, I guess it's over now."

Crap, now I'm getting bitter. Disney certainly needed to take action...Star Tours was getting stale. I just wish they'd done a better job of keeping the qualities that worked while improving the areas that were deficient.

I did spot one cool thing this time that I didn't the first time, though - it's in the queue, where the droid is doing the bag check. The scanning effect is quite well done, and there are some fun Easter eggs in the contents of some of the baggage. So two big thumbs up there...even though they ruined the extended queue, closed up the PeopleMover tracks, and added that lame projection of the moving shadows in the droid room...

I rode the attraction for the second time last night. I got the podracing and Leia hologram again, but I started off with Vader and ended with Coruscant, so it was nice to get some variety. I listened more closely to the music this time. I still didn't hear anything that Giacchino would have worked on, which is perplexing, but I did notice the music in the ride itself. It's mixed pretty quietly, and there are some parts that really don't have any music at all, so I'm not surprised that I barely noticed it the first time. The original made MUCH more prominent use of the music. I'm also realizing that this new incarnation isn't all that satisfying in terms of...story arc, for lack of a better term. The original had a great flow to it, and it all culminated with the destruction of the Death Star. This one has no climax. You escape from Imperial forces, visit a random location, then visit another random location, and then you land at some point. Leaves you with a feeling of, "Oh, I guess it's over now."

Crap, now I'm getting bitter. Disney certainly needed to take action...Star Tours was getting stale. I just wish they'd done a better job of keeping the qualities that worked while improving the areas that were deficient.

I did spot one cool thing this time that I didn't the first time, though - it's in the queue, where the droid is doing the bag check. The scanning effect is quite well done, and there are some fun Easter eggs in the contents of some of the baggage. So two big thumbs up there...even though they ruined the extended queue, closed up the PeopleMover tracks, and added that lame projection of the moving shadows in the droid room...

Hollywood Studios?

No, Disneyland. :) I'm sure the ride itself is identical on both coasts, but come to think of it, I don't know what the Florida queue was like before, nor what it's like now...I only know there was that big AT-AT out front.

I need to ride it. I have an annual pass, but have been waiting. Expecting first child in about 3 weeks. Don't want her to have an accident on the ride, and have to call the baby Leia.

• 4 weeks later...

I rode the attraction for my third and fourth times today. I enjoyed it more today (and finally got to do something other than podracing!), but I'm still very unimpressed by the music for the ride film. I suppose it doesn't worsen the experience, but it's usually* mixed too low to make much of a difference, and it's painfully obvious (for someone who's listening specifically to the score) that it was just slapped together from the original recordings, since it lacks any transitional material. The music drops out for parts of the different destinations, and the overall effect is very jumbled. Unlike its predecessor, you certainly wouldn't want to buy this ride score on CD.

I did hear some of Giacchino's contributions briefly in the queue, though, and they're pretty effective. They fit the travelogue videos nicely, evoking and sometimes reusing material Richard Bellis contributed to the original. Definitely no complaints here on that. And as I said, the attraction itself has grown on me. Now there are only two destinations I haven't visited...

* There's one part in the Coruscant scene that uses the statement of Luke's theme from just before he and Leia swing across the chasm in ANH, and it's actually really distracting, because the music suddenly jumps up in volume, and that swashbuckling sound doesn't really fit this chaotic misadventure at all.

EDIT: Also, I wrote a review in the Reviews section.

• 1 year later...

Wasn't quite sure where to post this...didn't seem major enough for its own thread, so I picked this one. According to this video about Star Tours: The Adventures Continue at Tokyo Disneyland, Bill Ross recently arranged and conducted new versions of classic Star Wars music with the LSO at Abbey Road. You can hear a bit of what I presume is the music they recorded in the background.

While it doesn't sound like they recorded anything substantially "new", it does bring up some interesting questions about Episode VII. Perhaps if Williams does score it (but doesn't want to head overseas), they could do something similar for the recording process in order to get a consistent sound?

In any case, I'll probably have a chance to talk briefly with John Dennis a few months from now. Maybe I'll ask about this.

Is Bill Ross the same as William Ross from HPCOS?

Anyway that fanfare from Anakin winning the pod race sounded good in there. Sometimes I forget about how much great music Williams wrote for TPM

The Giacchino music in the American versions is just kinda baffling since you can barely hear any of it. I've also noticed that the ads on the big screen are few and far between and Disneyland doesn't even play music in the droid room, so overall the new queue is really quiet and kinda awkward. It needs more music.

Some parts are more prominent than others, but on the whole, yeah, it is mixed rather quietly. There is music in the droid room, but you can really only hear it in certain spots, and it's very quiet. That loop consists of various semi-droid-related cues, taken straight from the film recordings. I specifically recall some of the Jawa music being used. Can't remember what else off the top of my head.

damn..so they didnt let Giacchino score the tour video, (williams wanted to select his own music pieces and eidt them) but they let Ross do it.

I hope giacchino gets to score a sw movie some day, really...

• 3 weeks later...

Listening to it at home on headphones is definitely different from listening to it in the queue for the attraction. There's a lot of details I simply never heard before. This does tend to be the case with theme park music in general, but for some reason, I noticed it especially with these recordings. And oddly enough, I think my appreciation for these arrangements has increased from listening to them on their own.

I think it's absolutely hilarious.

Karol

I'm agree, there is fun stuff there and the whole thing sounds like a pixar score.

I don't quite know whether to laugh or cry. What an odd collection of loungey arrangements of the classic themes. It is like they had thrown the music into a big 1970's pop music style blender and this came out.

I don't quite know whether to laugh or cry. What an odd collection of loungey arrangements of the classic themes. It is like they had thrown the music into a big 1970's pop music style blender and this came out.

Williams has personally approved this thing so it's not like it's a roque apocryphal arrangement he doesn't know about.

I think it's a fun and lighthearted way to honour this music. Doesn't need to be taken seriously, really. :)

Oh and don't forget this is a loungey music. Quite literally.

Karol

I still wish we could get a recording of the Elevator Imperial March from Blue Harvest (Family Guy)

Williams has personally approved this thing so it's not like it's a roque apocryphal arrangement he doesn't know about.

I think it's a fun and lighthearted way to honour this music. Doesn't need to be taken seriously, really. :)

Oh and don't forget this is a loungey music. Quite literally.

Karol

Yes light hearted is really the operative word. I guess I had really different expectations of what Star Tour would sound like. :P

The attraction itself (in both incarnations) favors a much more cinematic approach to the scoring - the original through Richard Bellis's straightforward adaptations of Williams' music, and the newer version through edits of Williams' original recordings. Those are pure, classic Star Wars. But the queue has always featured a more lighthearted, tongue-in-cheek, diegetic approach. [EDIT: With the apparent recent exception of Tokyo's version, as discussed above, of course.] I prefer Bellis's take on the original queue, which had that cheesy travelogue feel, but used Bellis's own thematic material and almost none of Williams'. I have a lot nostalgia for that music and the queue it was written for, which in many ways felt more like a real space than the updated version does.

Giacchino's approach is still a lot of fun, though, and I'm glad to have it in my collection now. Now, if the remaining unreleased Bellis queue cues (lol) would just leak, I would be an even happier man!

My nephew is getting an ipod for his birthday and my sister wants to come over and load some film scores on it for him as a surprise. I think I'm going to include these because he'd get a kick out of them.

Oh, yikes! That's not what I was expecting at all.

I am not sure that I'll give it more than just this one listen.

Oh, yikes! That's not what I was expecting at all.

It's not the music for the ride itself; it's for the intentionally cheesy fake travelogs videos shown in the ride queue.

• 1 month later...