Does it bother you when your CDs or DVDs get (lightly) scratched?

Josh500

Does it bother you when your CDs or DVDs get scratched?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Does it bother you when your CDs or DVDs get scratched?

• No, light scratches don't bother me at all--provided they play correctly, that is.
    • Generally no, but I do feel a bit down (or sad or angry) when I first discover them. But that feeling soon passes.
    • Yes, they bother me a little. That shouldn't happen because I take good care of my CDs or DVDs. So yes.
    • Yes, they bother me a LOT, to a point where I consider replacing the scratched CDs or DVDs. Maybe I am overreacting, but that's the way I feel.

No matter how well you take care of them they will get scratches because accidents happen. As long as it doesn't ruin them then it's a non issue. And since I'm the only one who touches my CDs, no one else is allowed and yes I'm serious, I only have myself to blame.

So I went with option #1.

I get VERY annoyed when a Netflix disc gets stuck because of damage. So, yeah, I take care of my stuff. I've always been a collector of sorts, so condition being important, I handle with care.

allows you to select multiple answers. Just check the options that apply. )

Why? They look pretty mutually exclusive to me...

Actually you are right! When I first wrote the options, they looked a bit different...

No matter how well you take care of them they will get scratches because accidents happen. As long as it doesn't ruin them then it's a non issue.

Yes.

Second to last option. I take care of my DVDs/CDs/games, so they don't get scratched or scuffed or anything, but it always happens when I let friends borrow them. I'll get it back with a smudge/fingerprint or some light scratches. Most of the time they can be wiped clean, but sometimes not. Well, only one of my friends really borrows my stuff, and he never takes care of his stuff. I walk into his room and the first thing I see is a stack of games and movies out of their cases on top of each other, and thrown about his desk.

DVD's not quite so much, CD's definitely. Even though these days I really take care of my CD's. When I get a new one it gets ripped to my hard drive, then back into its case so it stays protected.

DVD's not quite so much, CD's definitely. Even though these days I really take care of my CD's. When I get a new one it gets ripped to my hard drive, then back into its case so it stays protected.

It's the opposite for me - I hardly ever use my CDs anymore once they're extracted to iTunes. I use my DVDs on a regular basis and scratches are much more likely to affect the viewing experience. A scratched CD can sometimes skip on a player but still be extracted without defect.

Prolly option 2. If it plays it doesn't really matter, but I try to take good care of them and don't like to see any scratches.

I'm surprised that no one has stepped in with the smug "CDs? People still use those old things?" post.

I cannot stand having scratches on my cds OR dvds. Like Trent, I try to just rip them and them put them away.

Yes. Especially if I get a new copy that's scratched

For used games I ask the guy to see the disk first and ask him to pick a better one if it looks like someone wiped the floor with it

That never happened to me, thank God, but if it did--even hairline scratches--I would return it immediately.

When I get a new one it gets ripped to my hard drive, then back into its case so it stays protected.

Yes, exactly, same here. But unfortunately you can't do that with DVDs. Or at least, it's not usually done.

As long as they play fine I am not really that bothered.

For used games I ask the guy to see the disk first and ask him to pick a better one if it looks like someone wiped the floor with it

Ever looked at rental DVD's? Even a new movie that has been out for a week can sometimes look like it's been dragged over a gravel road.

Usually they still play fine though.

I get a bit upset when the jewel cases are scratched. I'm thinking of buying a replacement for some of the cracked ones I own. But for the CDs themselves, as long as they play/can be ripped onto a computer I'm fine.

I get a bit upset when the jewel cases are scratched. I'm thinking of buying a replacement for some of the cracked ones I own. But for the CDs themselves, as long as they play/can be ripped onto a computer I'm fine.

You sound like you are more concerned about the cases than the actual CDs! :D;)

From a collecting sense, I am. The jewel cases are what I display and arrange, not the CDs. If the music itself was damaged then I would change my mind, but we're assuming the CD plays fine.

Of course, always assuming the CDs and DVDs play fine . . . or anybody would be bothered.

But the thing is, when I know there is a light scratch on my CD or DVD, and I play it, and then I hear a small hiss or the picture skips a little, I immediately wonder whether that was because of the scratch . . . then I might get a bit paranoid. That's one reason I don't like any scratches myself, even very light ones.

But then again, I am not usually that fussy, in general. Like Mark said, accidents happen, and if you watch a DVD regularly, no matter how well you take care of it, there are apt to be light scratches or dust specks on it after a while.

Does it bother you when you notice specks of dirts on your shoes (assuming they don't impair walking function)?

Does it bother you when you take a dish out of the dishwasher and notice it's still got bits of food on it?

Does it bother you when you brush your teeth to get rid of a strong taste, like raw onions, only to find that after brushing the taste remains?

Does it bother you when there's a delay between pressing a button on your remote control and watching the button take effect?

Does it bother you when you recline on your couch and notice a slight dip, possibly due to a broken support?

Does it bother you when go to do laundry, only to find you're one quarter short?

Does it bother you when you're sitting at a window without a shade and there's sun glare?

Does it bother you when you notice specks of dirts on your shoes (assuming they don't impair walking function)?

Does it bother you when you take a dish out of the dishwasher and notice it's still got bits of food on it?

Does it bother you when you brush your teeth to get rid of a strong taste, like raw onions, only to find that after brushing the taste remains?

Does it bother you when there's a delay between pressing a button on your remote control and watching the button take effect?

Does it bother you when you recline on your couch and notice a slight dip, possibly due to a broken support?

Does it bother you when go to do laundry, only to find you're one quarter short?

Does it bother you when you're sitting at a window without a shade and there's sun glare?

:lol:

Nice one Henry.

My CDs never get scratched, because I only ever take them out of the case once. It does bug me, however, when a "Like New" CD from Amazon has light scratches or cover tears. :lol:

My CDs never get scratched, because I only ever take them out of the case once. It does bug me, however, when a "Like New" CD from Amazon has light scratches or cover tears. :lol:

:P

Well, I guess that's the difference between NEW and LIKE NEW.

No, it's the difference between good sellers and the idiots who don't read the Amazon Condition Guidelines.

No, it's the difference between good sellers and the idiots who don't read the Amazon Condition Guidelines.

Oh well, I bought many "used products" from Amazon sellers, and I had no reason to complain so far. You should always take a good look at the feedback a seller gets . . . and not just the past 5, but the past 10 pages or so (if you don't do it anyway)!

Example:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/seller/feedback.html?ie=UTF8&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&isCBA=&asin=B000UJCALI&marketplaceSeller=0&seller=AM8SZZ9MYFOPH

Oh well, I bought many "used products" from Amazon sellers, and I had no reason to complain so far. You should always take a good look at the feedback a seller gets . . . and not just the past 5, but the past 10 pages or so (if you don't do it anyway)!

I do indeed. And I don't have any real complaint with Amazon. By far the majority of transactions have been great. Those negative ones do still manage to slip in from time to time, though.

While we're on this topic, I bought Always OS from amazon sellers for 12 bucks!!! Sure, it said "like new" and when I got it, there were very small hairline scratches (2 or 3, and negligible, really) on the CD, but the CD plays perfectly, so I am satisfied.

Always read the product description. If it's not detailed enough, ask them. No one should ever have a problem of misinformed product condition.

The problem is that the sellers often mislabel. If they list it as "Like New," that means it should be absolutely perfect in every way but opened. That's all the description I should need, but for whatever reason some sellers just don't understand that.

No, but I returned three copies of Star Trek to the video store because there was glare on the picture, until the guy behind the counter said the movie was made that way.

In all seriousness, though, I am usually the only one who touches my soundtrack CDs. And I rip everything to my computer to be archived before I listen to it, and then the CDs go on the shelf.

In the dark ages before I had any kind of CD or iPod based MP3 player, I would carry my original CDs with me in small binders, so they inevitably got lightly scratched. The worst case was with one of my Star Wars Anthology CDs, where our old AIWA stereo actually scratched one of the tracks, making it skip. It sounded fine after I ripped it, though, so it's not something to get upset about. Now the only type of CD I'll put into a desktop or car stereo is an audio or MP3 CD-R...unless I've bought a new CD from the store and just have to listen to it on the way home. And then it's usually a used CD so it's already at some degree of less-than-new.

Buying used material = laissez faire

• 10 years later...

Follow-up question: Do light scratches on cases bother you? I just noticed my expanded Far and Away has some light scratches and don't like it one bit, but maybe I should change my attitude.

I remember buying the OST of Empire of the Sun with a lot of scratches from a secondHand CD shop. I just owned the LP and the CD was not available in regular stores anymore. It still played well, so I was happy. These old CDs with 72 minutes maximum playtime were much more robust anyway. They could bear a lot of scratches before the player even noticed. Nowadays CDs are so sensitive. They seem to be made just for playing them just one time to copy them onto your harddisk and from then on just play the music from your computer. 

Just now, GerateWohl said:

I remember buying the OST of Empire of the Sun with a lot of scratches from a secondHand CD shop. I just owned the LP and the CD was not available in regular stores anymore. It still played well, so I was happy. These old CDs with 72 minutes maximum playtime were much more robust anyway. They could bear a lot of scratches before the player even noticed. Nowadays CDs are so sensitive. They seem to be made just for playing them just one time to copy them onto your harddisk and from then on just play them from your computer. 

So they assume everyone has an external DAC to plug their computer into their stereo?

Just now, AC1 said:

I don't think CDs have changed over the years.

They did. I have an old CD player that has trouble keeping track at playing CDs. The new ones don't even get recognized, but for the old ones it still works pretty well.

3 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

They did. I have an old CD player that has trouble keeping track at playing CDs. The new ones don't even get recognized, but for the old ones it still works pretty well.

I never heard of that. Seems highly unlikely to me that new CDs are physically different.

6 minutes ago, AC1 said:

I never heard of that. Seems highly unlikely to me that new CDs are physically different.

Maybe not physically very different, but the protocol at which material is put onto them is certainly different these days I'd imagine.

Just now, AC1 said:

I never heard of that. Seems highly unlikely to me. 

But you know that in the first years CDs had a maximum playtime of 72 minutes instead of 80 minutes today? Today they even squeeze up to 82 or 83 minutes onto a CD. That has an impact.

7 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

But you know that in the first years CDs had a maximum playtime of 72 minutes instead of 80 minutes today? Today they even squeeze up to 82 or 83 minutes onto a CD. That has an impact.

Yes, the density of "grooves" has increased.