Gerhardt's Classic Film Scores series re-released

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just purchased the 12-CD box, I was looking at it for some years now!!!   Below, this 1978 compilation seems an essential companion to the boxset (I bought it some times ago on CD), as it

We need details! Are they remastered? Are they the long releases or the shorter versions from the Dolby Surround release series? Do they come with the original liner notes? Are they actual pressed CDs (the series was available on CDR as an on-demand service).

If this is done well, it's outstanding news. I'm still missing several of these, and the series is without a doubt a milestone in film score history.

These are great news indeed, but it took me quite a while and effort to get all of these cd's, just to seem them re-released just a few months later :music:

But they are great news nonetheless, these cd's must stay in print. Everyone who says they don't like Golden Age film music will surely change their mind after listening to these cds.

The Dolby encoding wasn't done properly and it drains quite a bit of dynamics to the overall sound. If you listen to the old LPs, you can get the difference.

These recordings were spectacularly engineered by the great Kenneth Wilkinson (a longtime engineer of many classic Decca recordings of the 60s and the 70s) and they still sound amazing even by modern-day standards.

If you want a good summation of the whole Classic Film Scores series, take a read at this:

http://www.classicalcdreview.com/cfs.htm

Oh, I just found a link about the new releases on B&N: Here.

The covers don't look fancy, but don't be fooled by that. And it appears that they're quite cheap ($9.99 each).

The Dolby encoding wasn't done properly and it drains quite a bit of dynamics to the overall sound. If you listen to the old LPs, you can get the difference.

These recordings were spectacularly engineered by the great Kenneth Wilkinson (a longtime engineer of many classic Decca recordings of the 60s and the 70s) and they still sound amazing even by modern-day standards.

I don't think this is relevant in these iPod and earbud times, Maurizio. I mean, people today think they are manic audiophiles because they bought a PC speaker set.

I've never compared them (I don't even think I have one of the original releases), but even with the supposedly inferior Dolby Surround mix, most of these sound stunning. The sound on the Herrmann disc is just awesome.

Too bad the Waxman is not included. I wish I had the expanded version

We still need track listings to confirm whether these are the full versions or the shortened ones.

Also, I consider it a missed opportunity that they're not releasing these (optionally) as a complete box set. Provided that the sound is good and it's the long versions, I'd definitely buy that, even though I have several of the old releases.

• 1 month later...

So they're out now. Here's a review of the first album from Film Score Click Track.

Apparently, it's the shorter versions (or at least this album is), in non-Dolby-muddled sound. Which made me realise something: So far, I was under the impression that originally, they first released the longer versions of these albums and then later shortened them for the Dolby Surround re-releases. Which in hindsight doesn't really make sense, since the shorter versions are LP length, and the actual original releases obviously hail from the LP era.

So there must have been (at least) three releases so far:

1) Original LP releases, roughly 45 minutes long

2) Original CD releases, about one hour long

3) CD re-issues, LP length, with Dolby Surround sound

To complicate things further, the now re-released shorter version of the first Korngold album includes the Captain Blood main title, which is NOT on the longer release. According to SoundtrackCollector, the shorter version is 49 minutes long and contains 12 tracks, whereas the longer version runs 20 minutes longer, but only has 10 tracks.

Comparing the track lists makes things even more confusing. The longer version drops The Adventures of Robin Hood, Juarez and Captain Blood, but adds The Sea Wolf and extends The Sea Hawk by 8.5 minutes, Of Human Bondage by 8 minutes, and Anthony Adverse and Betwee Two Worlds by two minutes each.

I've heard the longer version once or twice (never having found a physical CD, all I have is a download) and recall that Sea Hawk includes a lot of material which is also on the Errol Flynn compilation (also newly re-relased now). I don't know if it's the same recording or a separate one, though.

So what I'm now wondering is: Ignoring sound issues, is one of these two versions "better", or do they both have flaws? In other words, where does the additional material on the longer version come from - is it material also available on other discs in the series? Also, I know there's at least one more album in the series that was available in two versions, the Waxman disc. What's the deal there?

• 4 months later...
  • 9 years later...

I just purchased the 12-CD box, I was looking at it for some years now!!!

Below, this 1978 compilation seems an essential companion to the boxset (I bought it some times ago on CD), as it features at least a cue "The Thing (From Another World): Suite (Tiomkin)" not present on any other Gerhardt album, except on this compilation.

The original covers says clearly that it "Contains 6 Previously Unreleased Selections")

LP Cover 

R-4773259-1518668318-7344.jpeg.jpg

CD cover

R-10262933-1494312960-1756.jpeg.jpg

https://www.discogs.com/Charles-Gerhardt-National-Philharmonic-Orchestra-Spectacular-World-Of-Classic-Film-Scores/release/10262933