Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater

Jay

http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/m2585154.aspx

I am about to write something I never imagined I'd ever write:

After 25 years, I have decided to leave Dream Theater....the band I founded, led and truly loved for a quarter of a century.

To many people this will come as a complete shock, and will also likely be misunderstood by some, but please believe me that it is not a hasty decision...it is something I have struggled with for the last year or so....

After having had such amazing experiences playing with Hail, Transatlantic and Avenged Sevenfold this past year, I have sadly come to the conclusion that I have recently had more fun and better personal relations with these other projects than I have for a while now in Dream Theater...

Please don't misinterpret me, I love the DT guys dearly and have a long history, friendship and bond that runs incredibly deep with them...it's just that I think we are in serious need of a little break...

Dream Theater was always my baby...and I nurtured that baby every single day and waking moment of my life since 1985...24/7, 365...never taking time off from DT's never-ending responsibilites (even when the band was "off" between cycles)...working overtime and way beyond the call of duty that most sane people ever would do for a band...

But I've come to the conclusion that the DT machine was starting to burn me out...and I really needed a break from the band in order to save my relationship with the other members and keep my DT spirit hungry and inspired.

We have been on an endless write/record/tour cycle for almost 20 years now (of which I have overseen EVERY aspect without a break) and while a few months apart from each other here & there over the years has been much needed and helpful, I honestly hoped the band could simply agree with me to taking a bit of a "hiatus" to recharge our batteries and "save me from ourselves"...

Sadly, in discussing this with the guys, they determined they do not share my feelings and have decided to continue without me rather than take a breather...I even offered to do some occasional work throughout 2011 against my initial wishes, but it was not to be...

While it truly hurts for me to even think of a Dream Theater without Mike Portnoy (hell, my father named the band!!), I do not want to stand in their way...so I have decided to sacrifice myself and simply leave the band so as to not hold them back against their wishes....

Strangely enough, I just read an interview that I recently did that asked me about the future of DT and I talked about "always following your heart and being true to yourself"...sadly I must say that at this particular moment, my heart is not with Dream Theater...and I would simply be "going through the motions", and would honestly NOT be true to myself if I stayed for the sake of obligation without taking the break I felt I needed.

I wish the guys the best and hope the music and legacy we created together is enjoyed by fans for decades to come...I am proud of every album we made, every song we wrote and every show we played....

I'm sorry to all the disappointed DT fans around the world...I really tried to salvage the situation and make it work...I honestly just wanted a break (not a split)...but happiness cannot be forced, it needs to come from within....

You DT fans are the greatest fans in the world and as you all know, I have always busted my ass for you guys and I hope that you will stay with me on my future musical journey, wherever it may lead me....(and as you all know my work ethic, there will surely be no shortage of future MP projects!)

Sadly...

Your fearless ex-leader and drummer,

MP

Wow, didn't think this would be posted here !

Just read it on his forum and am as shocked as everyone...

Though I'm not that surprised, given the fun he's had so far on the A7X tour and the bond he has with them.

Now who's going to dare and replace him in DT..!

I don't mind LaBrie's singing at all, and its not like he contributes to the writing any. Seemed like Portnoy and Petrucci have really taken over the band as of late, so maybe with Portnoy leaving they'll be rejuvenated to all write material together again. At least Portnoy got to finish his twelve step suite first. As much as I like it, I'd like to hear something new on their next record. Time to reinvent themselves a bit, I think.

As previously stated, I'm really shocked to find this thread here. Dream Theater's been my favorite band the better part of this decade and this news delivered a crushing blow . . . been spending a lot of time on the DT forums discussing this with other fans. I will say that I'm happy JP seems to be stepping up to the plate, even going as far as answering a lot of questions on his forum.

I just can't picture anybody else behind DT's drumkit...

Sure there are many drummers technically up to the task but it will always feel weird, abnormal, unreal to not have MP in DT.

That said, I'm eager to hear the next album without his input and "inspiration corner"...that should be interesting.

Can't say I was really following them recently...but the news is definitely a bummer. I'm glad I got to see them last year, in one of the greatest concerts I've ever been to.

• 10 months later...

Well Dream Theater has a new drummer, they've recorded a new album, and that album comes out just 6 weeks from tomorrow.

Here's the first single off it, "On The Backs Of Angels":

Here's info on a crazy deluxe version of the album (called "A Dramatic Turn Of Events"):

http://store.roadrunnerrecords.com/Exclusives/DREAM-THEATER-A-Dramatic-Turn-Of-Events-Deluxe-Collectors-Edition-Box-Set

Man I saw them yesterday in Belgium...INCREDIBLE show bowdown

And having seen Mangini in action I can now say that I do not miss MP ! :eek:

Everyone was completely on fire.

JLB hit a couple of bad notes ( he really struggles with the high-pitched stuff from the I&W / Awake era ) but other than that his performance was just stellar !

Same for the other guys, especially JP...

Oh and that crazy deluxe version, even at this price, will be mine for sure :)

No Portnoy-penned song at all...

Labrie was asked about it in an interview and he answered that was pure coincidence....mmmh

Here's what we got yesterday :

1.Under a Glass Moon

2.These Walls

3.Forsaken

4.Endless Sacrifice

5.On the Backs of Angels

6.Caught In A Web

7.Through My Words

8.Fatal Tragedy

9.The Count of Tuscany

Encore:

10.The Great Debate

The Great Debate? Really? That song should be forgotten....

Would love to hear Caught In A Web live!

Well I do like The Great Debate, but it was a weird choice for an encore...with LaBrie coming back just at the end to say goodbye :blink:

The whole set list is interesting, a lot of kinda random choices

County of Tuscany live musta been pretty sweet

Yeah...

Funny how some songs I've never really liked ( Forsaken, These Walls ) actually work pretty well when played live.

Endless Sacrifice was killer.

So was Fatal Tragedy.

And The Count of Tuscany, especially Petrucci's solo ....simply divine.

• 5 months later...

Although I'm a prog rock fan, I've never really ventured much into Dream Theater (I'm more into old-school prog), but this comes as no surprise to me. It's quite typical for most bands to take breaks, ruffle the feathers a bit etc..

• 2 weeks later...

Nice! Interesting to have visuals to go with those quotes I've heard a million times

Is it bad I've never seen any of those movies?

• 7 months later...

Soon will be released the Symphonic Theater of Dreams, a symphonic tribute to DT.

( I recorded all of the french horn tracks for it ;) )

213337.jpg?372

Official Teaser : http://soundcloud.com/stod-project/official-album-teaser-tribute

I just heard the final mixes and must say it sounds amazing !

Here's the tracklist :

1. Overture - When Dreams Come True (composition by Michał Mierzejewski)

2. Hell`s Kitchen

3. Sacrificed Sons

4. Beneath The Surface

5. The Ministry of Lost Souls

6. Losing Time/Grand Finale

Sounds cool! And congrats on being involved in the production!

Speaking of Dream Theater, I listened through their studio catalog at work this week in order. Man, A Dramatic Turn Of Events is awful. Not only their worst album by a mile but just nothing redeeming about it at all, not a single song I'd put on my iPod. They gotta stop releasing new albums every 2 years and wait until they have inspiration for a good album before releasing one again. Damn.

That was probably my third time listening to it and I can't imagine I'll bother with it again for years

This is how I rank their albums from best to worst

Images and Words

Awake

Scenes From A Memory

Falling Into Infinity

Dark Clouds and Silver Linings

Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence

Train of Thought

Octavarium

Systematic Chaos

A Dramatic Turn Of Events

never heard When Dream and Day Unite. I didn't include A Change of Seasons cause its technically an EP, but I'd say the song A Change of Seasons is probably my favorite Dream Theater song

Really you could have taken that song and the best songs from Falling Into Infinity and you'd have an album as good as I&W, Awake, and SFAM

I'd have pretty much the same rankings...except SFAM would be first.

When Dream and Day Unite sounds very dated, but I do like it very much for what is, old-school prog from the late 80's

By the way here are some videos I put together, you might enjoy them ;)

[media=]

Yeah !

And Mike really liked them too...

As a matter of fact I met with him yesterday backstage after the Flying Colors gig in Tilburg !

He loved the Honor Thy Father one :)

There are a few samples that Kevin used in Space Dye Vest which I couldn't find, one of them being ( I think ) a ten second extract from Late Night With O'Brien

• 8 months later...

I didn't like their last album at all, what do you guys think of it?

I actually liked it quite a bit. I did miss the heavyness of "Train of Thought," but that is one of the reasons why I love this band, every album has a different identity. As a drummer, I love Portnoy, but I did start to feel that his playing and patterns where becoming a bit repetitive, so I am pretty happy Mangini made the cut (Virgil Donati would have been amazing as well). Plus, I think Mangini's overall drum sound and tone are much better and richer—although not a big fan of the ride cymbal he used on the last album.

I always look forward to a new Dream Theater album. Bring it!

I don't think I've even listened to it a second time, I was so unimpressed. And I really liked Black Clouds and Silver Linings

I quite enjoyed ADTOE when it was released, but these days I just never listen to it..
Just Bridges in the Sky from time to time

Speaking of DT, I was part of this amazing project ( which was approved by the band ! :) )

213337.jpg?372

Tracklist:
1. Overture - When Dreams Come True (composition by Michał Mierzejewski)
2. Hell's Kitchen
3. Sacrificed Sons
4. Beneath The Surface
5. The Ministry Of Lost Souls
6. Losing Time/Grand Finale

Line-up:
Michał Mierzejewski - creator, composer, conductor
Sinfonietta Consonus - orchestra
Bartosz Kropidłowski - classic guitar

Special Guests:
Tina Guo - cello
Marc Papeghin - french horns
Daniel Fries (Affector) - acoustic guitars

• 2 years later...

12274498_10153118178087181_7364854270494

This album cover extends an ominous invitation into the retro-futurist dystopian setting of The Astonishing. The deceptively beautiful yet chillingly totalitarian image is a bold harbinger of the visual components and ideas presented by the sonic story that is our most ambitious creative work to date. We are very proud to soon bring you…The Astonishing.
For full tracklisting and much more, head to: Flyt.it/TheAstonishing
-Dream Theater

https://www.facebook.com/dreamtheater/photos/a.487625947180.264700.7677942180/10153118178087181/

• 3 months later...

Ha, not gonna happen soon ^^

But there might be somewhat of a "reunion" in 2017 though !

"If I could have any wish, any birthday gift to celebrate half a century on Earth...it would be to gather all of my family, friends, bandmates and fans on a ship sailing across the ocean and celebrate my 50 years of life and 30 years of making music with all my loved ones!"

Can't imagine this without at least JR & JP !

MP50+(Small).JPG