Sign in to follow this  
Maxxie

My Model Railway

Hey peeps, :shakehead:

Not sure if they'll be any interest for this on here BUT, here's a short video of me and Dad's model railway layout -

Everything (apart from the actual trains) has been homemade.

The music used should certainly sound familiar! Also if you do watch it, make sure you see the videos towards the end as they're the best part! :lol:

Very impressive, Maxxie. I travel a lot by train (albeit in the full-sized versions, obviously) and I applaud the wonderful attention to detail; it looks from the decaying line and bricked up tunnel that the Beeching cuts extended as far as your model railway! I am guessing that the announcements must have been recorded at York station? I suppose it would be too much to ask for the platforms in your model railway station to be steeply curved, like those at York. :)

By the way, is the model railway in your home or at another location? I went through Seamer a few years ago on a train to Scarborough - a very picturesque part of the country.

Thanks Omen. :)

Haha yes we had some problems with that 'disused' line to start with, so we bricked it up and built another one instead! ;)

And yes the recordings were taken at York some years ago when Arriva were still operating the TransPennine Express franchise. My God, was it that long ago.....

As for the platforms haha! Ours don't need to be as shockingly sharp as those at York. That way we can have faster running trains! ;)

The layout is at home. It's in a custom-built garden shed that is actually more like a bungalow! It's 60 foot long..... :o

Yeah it is a nice part of the country. It's warm in summer and beautfiful in the winter, but freezing the rest of the time! :)

Thanks again. :)

By coincidence, I'm heading to a toy train show this coming weekend. I don't have any, and am afraid to go down that road (I would over-obsess). Looks like a lot of fun, though, and probably really relaxing to work on. Nice!

Sorry I'm late but nice job on the railroad. I love trains as well, I have Lionel (O Gauge) and N-Scale but I'm more of a carpet layout guy now.

I usually just run them around the Christmas holidays.

Thanks god for the invention of Fasttrack.

That's one thing I never understood about the manufacturing of track. When we lived in Germany in the 70's, German model trains had track that had a base underneath it, trains from the states did not. They eventually got around to doing it.

Right now I just don't have the room to build a layout.

Thanks god for the invention of Fasttrack.

That's one thing I never understood about the manufacturing of track. When we lived in Germany in the 70's, German model trains had track that had a base underneath it, trains from the states did not. They eventually got around to doing it.

Right now I just don't have the room to build a layout.

Yeah I know what you mean. We had to build our own bases for our tracks!

Wow Maxxie, that's amazing! ROTFLMAO I can easily imagine countless hours which undoubtedly went into this project. :) Trains always fascinated me as a kid and I used to spend hours just watching the trains driving by at the local station. I also had a pretty fancy Lego train set and I've lived my whole life 50 or 100 yards from the local railway. :lol:

So, kudos for your great work and do make us happy with another vid sometime! :D

Wow Maxxie, that's amazing! :angry: I can easily imagine countless hours which undoubtedly went into this project. :) Trains always fascinated me as a kid and I used to spend hours just watching the trains driving by at the local station. I also had a pretty fancy Lego train set and I've lived my whole life 50 or 100 yards from the local railway. :D

So, kudos for your great work and do make us happy with another vid sometime! :D

Thanks! :D

Another vid is in the pipeline.....eventually! :)

I'm just deciding what music to put on this one. First Contact? Hoist The Colours? Harry Potter? :P

I'm just deciding what music to put on this one. First Contact? Hoist The Colours? Harry Potter? :blink:

The Great Locomotive Chase for wind band (by Robert W. Smith) would be a great (and undoubtedly appropriate) choice. Though not a film music piece per se, it certainly sounds very much like one. :)

I'm just deciding what music to put on this one. First Contact? Hoist The Colours? Harry Potter? ;)

The Great Locomotive Chase for wind band (by Robert W. Smith) would be a great (and undoubtedly appropriate) choice. Though not a film music piece per se, it certainly sounds very much like one. :D

You're probably right! I was going to use Under Siege 2..... ;)

Alright, let's say that this boxcar is 60 feet long, okay? And 1/3 of it is across this switch here, alright. And now another train is coming. Now, how far do you have to move this boxcar so that the other train doesn't smash it? Quickly Brad, there are thousands of lives at stake. Brad, any answer...

This is seriously cool. I've seen the Hogwarts Expres at toy stores and thought of buying it. But even cooler in the monorail sets they sell at Disney. How awesome.

Very nice. As a kid, I always wanted a model train. I got a starter train for my eighth birthday, but just the little oval with a single train got boring kinda quickly. So I never really got into training as a hobby.

I did build a massive LEGO town last May though, complete with town centre, airport, residential area and two running trains. :devil:

As a kid I had almost every Lego train related product made. I had so much Lego track that I literally ran a layout through every room in the house and circled it back to my bedroom.

Right now I'm working with N-Scale but I bring the O gauge out for the holidays. Plus the cat can't run off with it or derail O gauge like he does with N-Scale.

One thing the LEGO trains have shown me is that training doesn't really get fun until you have a decent size track, not just a small oval. I didn't even get as far as being able to run more than one train at the same time (the track layout didn't really support it), but I'm sure that would have made it even cooler.

One thing the LEGO trains have shown me is that training doesn't really get fun until you have a decent size track, not just a small oval. I didn't even get as far as being able to run more than one train at the same time (the track layout didn't really support it), but I'm sure that would have made it even cooler.

Actually any train requires a lot of track to really enjoy it. I know lack of space can damper it but I get bored with a standard oval.

Yeah, I didn't mean that only works with LEGO, I just noticed it for the first time when I was putting together a LEGO train layout. I expect it to be the same with any other type of train set.

Anyway.

This layout is fantastic. Really cool!

No. I built it while my parents were away on vacation (it was my only chance to take up the entire floor for two and a half weeks). It was dismantled before they returned. A few of the sets are still assembled around my room, along with some other stuff I've acquired since.

You can see all images here.