Your Top 5 movies you wish JW had scored!

Josh500

Well?

My list:

1. Titanic (although I somehow doubt JW would have topped James Horner here... but who knows? he might have)

2. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (I wish JW would have continued with the franchise)

3. Avatar (what themes would JW have come up with for Pandora and the Na'vis?)

4. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows I+II (well, I am still hoping for the second one, but it would've been great if JW would have returned full force for the last installment of this franchise)

5. Lord of the Rings (all right, the man can't do every big franchise, but it sure would have been interesting; another chance to create a plethora of new themes, comparable to what he did for the Star Wars universe)

Also: The Dark Knight and Twilight

5. Lord of the Rings (all right, the man can't do every big franchise, but it sure would have been interesting; another chance to create a plethora of new themes, comparable to what he did for the Star Wars universe)

That turned out just fine, thanks.

Superman II

Superman Returns

Harry Potter GoF and on

Lost in Space would have been cool

And I've always said that I'd love to have heard a Williams Star Trek score, but I wouldn't give up any that we have for it.

Die Hard 4.0

Would have loved to hear a proper action score from JW.

Wild Things.

JW never did score a gratugious sex thriller.

The Incredibles

Love the film, and right now we never heard a cartoon score from JW.

Spoorloos (The Vanishing 1988)

Not really known in America, but a superb thriller and character study. And a serial killer film before Silence Of The Lambs made it a sub genre.

1. Goblet of Fire, both because it would mean a great new JW score and it might convince him to continue on with the rest of the franchise

2. Batman 89

3. The Princess and the Frog 2009

4. Star Trek 2009

5. Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Harry Potter IV, V, VI, VII Parts I and II.

There may be others, but overall, I'm pretty happy with the composer choices for most movies I see. Maybe I'm biased because I've already seen them with the score attached, but the scores for all my favorite movies that I can think of have a distinct personality thanks to chosen composer. I can't imagine "Pearl Harbor" without Tennessee, for instance.

Die Hard 4.0

Would have loved to hear a proper action score from JW.

Wild Things.

JW never did score a gratugious sex thriller.

Why Die Hard 4.0? Now that you said it, I wish he'd done the original Die Hard.

And Basic Instinct too!

Inception.

I have discovered that I may be the only one on this board who actually likes the score to Inception. I wouldn't buy the whole album to listen to (I do have Dream within a Dream and Time, the latter being one of my favorite Zimmer cues), but in the context of the movie it's quite effective. It drives the action when appropriate and pauses to reflect on the poignant moments.

Inception.

I have discovered that I may be the only one on this board who actually likes the score to Inception. I wouldn't buy the whole album to listen to (I do have Dream within a Dream and Time, the latter being one of my favorite Zimmer cues), but in the context of the movie it's quite effective. It drives the action when appropriate and pauses to reflect on the poignant moments.

I'm a fan also. I would recommend getting the two bonus tracks available for download from the soundtrack's official site. Both are highly enjoyable action cues. They almost sound like an expansion of "Dream Within a Dream."

I feel roughly the same way about Inception as I do about Batman Begins and TDK. These are scores that rattle you to the bone with viscerally effective tonalities and rhythms, which is exactly what a lot of people like in film scores. (I remember my roommate listening to one track from Inception over and over and over and over and over and over again a few weeks ago...and he's not a film score fan...) They just happen to lack any hint of subtlety, and all the creative originality is expressed in ways I don't care much about (e.g. developing a new sound from samples). The musical content itself is simplistic and raw. As a result, I'm torn between loving it and hating it.

But I didn't suggest Inception because of my opinions on Zimmer's score - I'd just be interested to hear how Williams would tackle the fascinating subject of dreaming.

01. Citizen Kane

02. A Clockwork Orange

03. Psycho

04. The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

05. The Neverending Story

All great scores in their own right, but all very unique in approach. I'd love to know how Williams would have handled them.

Oliver Stone's Alexander

The movie may be deeply flawed, but its canvas is so broad and varied, coupled with the fact that Stone's collaboration with Williams always generates such intriguing and complex results, that it would provide wonderful musical opportunities. They are so many different geographical settings, so many moods, so many moments of paranoia and almost god like aclamation. Even with the movie being as flawed as it is, I have little doubt Williams would have composed something quite unique for it.

We've had similar discussions about the same topics for the past 10 years now. Are you just noticing that?

Wait let me start a new thread about the redeeming elements of the Prequels.

1. World Trade Center - Craig Armstrong's generic tragic snore-a-thon seemed out-of-place in Stone's bizarrely feel-good family drama. Williams probably could have made it watchable.

2. W. - hey, why not? It's not like he'd be scoring Nixon all over again. It's a film that doesn't take itself too seriously, so it would have been interesting to hear Williams' music reflect that ambiguity.

3. Rambo - I think Williams would do it justice more than Brian Tyler's boring score did.

4. V for Vendetta - this deserved a bolder score, and I remember after I first saw it, I thought this would have been a great Goldsmith score if he was still alive. With that said, Williams would have given it some character that Marianelli seemed reluctant to.

5. True Lies - don't get me wrong, I really like Fiedel's score, but a Williams comedy/espionage score wouldn't have hurt.

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants

:lol:

Cliff Eidelman has spent his whole career greedily snatching up assignments from other composers, and he's had a lock on the chick flick genre for far too long. Composers like Williams have been reduced to toiling on unrewarding bit projects like Star Wars and Harry Potter; it's about time Eidelman shared the wealth a little.

I feel roughly the same way about Inception as I do about Batman Begins and TDK. These are scores that rattle you to the bone with viscerally effective tonalities and rhythms, which is exactly what a lot of people like in film scores. (I remember my roommate listening to one track from Inception over and over and over and over and over and over again a few weeks ago...and he's not a film score fan...) They just happen to lack any hint of subtlety, and all the creative originality is expressed in ways I don't care much about (e.g. developing a new sound from samples). The musical content itself is simplistic and raw. As a result, I'm torn between loving it and hating it.

But I didn't suggest Inception because of my opinions on Zimmer's score - I'd just be interested to hear how Williams would tackle the fascinating subject of dreaming.

Exactly my thoughts!

My picks would be:

1. Superman II - III

2. Narnia films

3. Die Another Day (just kidding)

Also, Hello everyone! I am a way long time reader, but quite the newbie for posting. :lol:

1. World Trade Center - Craig Armstrong's generic tragic snore-a-thon seemed out-of-place in Stone's bizarrely feel-good family drama. Williams probably could have made it watchable.

2. W. - hey, why not? It's not like he'd be scoring Nixon all over again. It's a film that doesn't take itself too seriously, so it would have been interesting to hear Williams' music reflect that ambiguity.

3. Rambo - I think Williams would do it justice more than Brian Tyler's boring score did.

4. V for Vendetta - this deserved a bolder score, and I remember after I first saw it, I thought this would have been a great Goldsmith score if he was still alive. With that said, Williams would have given it some character that Marianelli seemed reluctant to.

5. True Lies - don't get me wrong, I really like Fiedel's score, but a Williams comedy/espionage score wouldn't have hurt.

Interesting choices!

Yes, now that I think about it, JW has never really done an all-out action movie like Rambo or True Lies or Die Hard.

And WTC? Yeah, a fourth Oliver Stone-JW collaboration. Would have been great.

The Net

Have you seen that recently? I haven't watched it since the 90s. I can imagine it has aged quite rapidly.

2. Narnia films

I could go for that.

I second the motion.

I really do wonder what a Disney-ish animated movie John Williams score would be like. I just can't...quite...imagine it.