Star Wars in 3D starting 2012 (Update: AOTC and ROTS cancelled)

ST-321

This story has just started circulating:

http://www.firstshowing.net/2010/09/28/the-star-wars-saga-in-3d-hits-theaters-starting-in-2012/

The Star Wars Saga in 3D Returns to Theaters Starting 2012!

September 28, 2010
Source: USA Today, Heat Vision
by Ethan Anderton

Though we'd heard rumors about the Star Wars saga making a return to theaters in 3D for awhile, back in January the man behind the curtain, George Lucas said the quality and success of Avatar's 3D presentation was "a new impetus to make that happen." Nine months later and USA Today has officially announced that Lucasfilm will reprocess the entire film series in 3D and release them in theaters starting in 2012. The Phantom Menace will be the first film to hit theaters and Heat Vision says that will happen in the early months of 2012 with the remaining films released every following year in chronological order.

If Lucas is employing the same technology and time dedication that James Cameron is utilizing for the 3D conversion of Titanic (also being released in 2012), then I don't have a problem with the three dimensional upgrade (and I'm going to put the kibosh on anyone saying "I have a bad feeling about this."). Lucasfilm spokeswoman Lynne Hale says, "The process is really extensive, and we want to make sure each of the films gets the attention it needs, so we're not ready to talk about the release patterns of the other films."

Though Heat Vision has already pointed out a timeframe for the 3D release, USA Today says the season of release is undetermined simply because they don't want to be forced to rush the 3D conversion to meet a deadline. As far as the release in early 2012, it would be nice to have something to look forward to in the dead box office months from January to mid-April. After all, the special edition re-releases of the original trilogy in 1997 were released chronologically in January, February and March of that year.

Since the 3D conversion is in the hands of John Knoll, visual effects supervisor for Industrial Light & Magic and co-creator of Adobe Photoshop, I'm not even close to being worried about the conversion. My issue personally stems from the fact that they're starting with The Phantom Menace. I think audiences should experience the Star Wars saga exactly as it unfolded through history starting with Star Wars (no, I won't call it A New Hope) and finishing with Revenge of the Sith. Oh well. Will you give more of your money to George Lucas for Star Wars in 3D?

I'll believe it when I see it...but I will see it if given the chance. Partially just for the fun of seeing Star Wars movies in theaters, and partially to see if the 3D conversion has gotten to the point where it's indistinguishable from stuff actually shot in 3D. Even with the talented folks at ILM and the like, I doubt the technology is there yet.

3-D conversion from 2-D sources is excessive, extraneous, pointless, distracting, and ugly. If a film was meant for 3-D, that's fine, but for older films, it's an add-on that doesn't nothing positive for film preservation, rather it mutilates a previous existing work of art in a way only a handful of geeky tech-heads asked for. This can also be said about the Special Editions, but this is another step in the wrong direction.

Of course there will come a time when the technology is advanced enough to develop spectacular 3D conversions. I don't know if that time will be 2012 (I don't think so), but yeah, who knows...? Maybe these 3D conversions (and/or Titanic) will silence a lot of people.

You know what? This is freaking awesome. I'm not necessarily that enthused about seeing the prequels again (I'll see the OT because it's the OT), but my son will be just the right age when these come around when I was when I first saw SW. He's seen it on TV but obviously just sees images and sound but doesn't connect them in meaningful ways (unless he's a super genius). But this will be the perfect time for him to be able to do that, as well as be introduced to the cinema in a great way.

Who will have the guts to pay and sit through TPM and AOTC again in theaters?? :)

3D is just a fad... and it's already dropping down among the global audience. A simple re-release in theatres would be fine, there's no need to "update" Star Wars once again with useless technology like 3D.

However, if this means complete prequel scores release, then be it.

Depends how well it's done.

My brother saw Clash of the Titans which was rushed through the process in a month, and said it looked terrible. But then we saw Piranha 3D which they spent like a year converting. We didn't find out it was converted until after seeing the film, and while watching I got a niggling feeling that something was a bit odd about some shots, but it was pretty convincing.

Actually, The Hole 3D which was real 3D, didn't look eye-poppingly amazing in every shot, because they adjusted the depth shot to shot, to keep the effect comfortable, so it didn't always feel like you were 'in the room'.

I'm still in awe of the process though - going shot by shot, moving objects, filling in backgrounds, with things moving all the time (only live action of course - I'd have no issue with animated movies being converted as it's all in the computer anyway). Just seems so much easier to shoot in 3D to begin with.

I can see this being a good idea for parents with children who want to introduce them to these movies in a way much grander than whatever DVD version is current. It's almost as good as buying a projector to show an old VHS or Laserdisc version (i.e. pre-1997) on a big screen. These are movies that are made more spectacular on the big screen. But with that being said, they should also re-release the greats like Ben-Hur and Lawrence of Arabia on the big screen (I know, in L.A. they do).

And in a stubborn sense, this is harmless. George has demonstrated time and again that he cares more about his franchise's bottom line than how his oldest fans perceive him and his treatment of these opuses. And that's fine with me. I have the means to watch the movies as I see fit, i.e. the pre-1997 versions. Whatever he does with the movies is his business, and as long as I don't give him money for it, I can ignore it.

I will only be interested when Concord releases an expanded-yet-incomplete, pitch-incorrect set of prequel scores.

But with that being said, they should also re-release the greats like Ben-Hur and Lawrence of Arabia on the big screen (I know, in L.A. they do).

They should. They occasionally show stuff here (BTTF is getting a rerelease this week), but not on the frequency LA does.

Can't wait to see what changes Lucas makes this time.

Well the opening shot of the saga -- the Devastator pursuing the Tantive IV -- will certainly almost be worth the price of admission, just as it was in 1977. Maybe not as the ships fly into the screen, since they would have to originate inside our faces, but definitely once the camera flips around to show both ships at once, with the blockade runner in the middle of the room.

Maybe the droids' lifeboat will shoot bolts towards the audience as it ejects.

When Obi-Wan removes the arm of the bully in the cantina, the severed limb will fly towards the audience, hit the glass of the fourth wall, and bounce back to the floor.

The audience will reach for each asteroid as they pass by, including that elusive potato.

Instead of placing the camera at the side of the shaft on Bespin, watching Luke fall from above and the side, the camera will immediately follow him down, taking the audience themselves on the same stomach-wrenching 3D journey into oblivion.

Praxis effect, anyone?

Stuff like that. It could be fun or it could be inescapably cheapened. At least the tapes and discs on our shelves are safe.

The audience will reach for each asteroid as they pass by, including that elusive potato.

That's the kind of immersion I'm still waiting for from the new 3-D. I've only experienced that once, in IMAX, when I saw a film about sharks where the wife and I were reaching out for fish and trying to touch them. It was beautiful.

But with that being said, they should also re-release the greats like Ben-Hur and Lawrence of Arabia on the big screen (I know, in L.A. they do).

They should. They occasionally show stuff here (BTTF is getting a rerelease this week), but not on the frequency LA does.

That's because they have several 70mm theatres in L.A. (and the fact that it's a great big freeway). F.F.I., checkout the 70mm Newsletter site.

I can't wait for the trainer (tennis shoe) to whizz past my ears in ROTJ!

That's the kind of immersion I'm still waiting for from the new 3-D. I've only experienced that once, in IMAX, when I saw a film about sharks where the wife and I were reaching out for fish and trying to touch them. It was beautiful.

3D is just a fad... and it's already dropping down among the global audience. A simple re-release in theatres would be fine, there's no need to "update" Star Wars once again with useless technology like 3D.

I don't think it's going away anytime soon. the '10s will probably be defined by it cinematically. 3D home televisions and gaming are on the rise.

When Obi-Wan removes the arm of the bully in the cantina, the severed limb will fly towards the audience, hit the glass of the fourth wall, and bounce back to the floor.

Actually, in the new edition Walrus Man (the "bully") accidentally slices off his own arm while Obi-Wan merely ignites his lightsaber in an attempt to scare him off.

I don't think it's going away anytime soon.

But we can hope.

I don't think it's going away anytime soon.

But we can hope.

The current 3D technology is just a fad IMO. Saw Resident Evil Afterlife (don't ask) with my wife last weekend and I realised that even the better 3D doesn't *really* add anything to the movie going experience.

Perhaps in a few years, new (glasses-free) technology will make 3D essential for regular movies, but right now I'd say it should be limited to theme park attractions only. And yes - I consider Avatar to be a (horribly succesful) "theme-park-attraction-turned-into-movie"-thing.

I also think that people like Scorsese and Spielberg may regret their choice to shoot films in 3D, because by the time their films are released, the "late noughties-3D boom" has passed already and the interest in 3D movies may have been seriously reduced...

I don't know, I can't get myself exactly excited for this. When I heard about it years ago, I thought it would be cool. Now I'm going into film snobby mode and viewing 3D as a kind of desecration. I do see it as a fad. Something we'll look back on years from now as a kind of joke. Maybe because technology will have evolved to holograms. When we want to watch old traditional films, we use our theater mode on our holodecks and watch it in our personal theater.

It will be curious to whatch this. And i will be able to watch ROTJ in theater!

And about the order of the films, people has experience the 'historical' order, lets see how the chronological works...

And definately if it means complete scores, where one does have to sign for this to happen.

So many directors have expressed their dislike towards 3D concersion, but no, not George 'a-buck-is-a-buck' Lucas.

I think it's George '1.5 billion dollars to charity' Lucas now... :)

The worst thing about this news is the inevitable hype and tv coverage, over and over again, for about a month. I may go dark when these fucking things surface.

Sorry if I sound so grumpy about this, but I've completely fallen out of love with Star Wars, purely due to George Luca$.

The worst thing about this news is the inevitable hype and tv coverage, over and over again, for about a month. I may go dark when these fucking things surface.

Sorry if I sound so grumpy about this, but I've completely fallen out of love with Star Wars, purely due to George Luca$.

Hmmm... I'm so glad I can still enjoy many aspects of Star Wars. My disappointment with Lucas' post-1983 creative decisions has not taken away my love and appreciation for the OT (especially SW and ESB). Hell, I can even enjoy the Prequels a lot to a certain extent. I think some people really take this "grudge" against Lucas to extremes. Nothing he does NOW can ever change the FANTASTIC things during the early years of his career (unless he figures out time travelling...).

I agree 3-D is a fad. Honestly while it was cool seeing Avatar in 3-D after a while it ended up giving me a headache wearing those 3-D glasses over my own. I am happy with seeing a movie like Avatar in regular 2-D format.

I don't mind films actually shot in 3D being shown that way - Avatar, Resident Evil 4, Final Destination 4, Journey To The Center Of The Earth, etc

But I hate when they convert a film shot in 2D to 3D - Alice In Wonderland, Clash Of The Titans, The Last Airbender, Piranha 3-D, Voyage Of The Dawn-Treader, etc.

As long as the 3D doesn't detract from the viewing experience, I am glad this is happening. I watch all six movies at least annually. It would be great to watch one of them in the theater each year. It's always worth it to see these stories on the big screen.

Pretty soon, the news and weather will be in 3-D.

It'd be cool if they do this properly and expand the dimensional frame. I can just imagine the shot of Luke going through the AT-AT's legs, but being able to maybe look to the left and right and see more of the battle. That kind of stuff intrigues me, almost like going into the movie. Not sure if they can do that or not. But it'd be awesome.

Hmmm... I'm so glad I can still enjoy many aspects of Star Wars. My disappointment with Lucas' post-1983 creative decisions has not taken away my love and appreciation for the OT (especially SW and ESB). Hell, I can even enjoy the Prequels a lot to a certain extent. I think some people really take this "grudge" against Lucas to extremes. Nothing he does NOW can ever change the FANTASTIC things during the early years of his career (unless he figures out time travelling...).

I did come across a bit too strong there, allow me to clarify: I do still have a special place for the original trilogy, I enjoy watching them every now and then and I hope I always will do.

It is the legacy of the franchise which I have grown extremely weary of and George Lucas' hamfisted tinkering, paired with his absolute bleeding dry of our beloved story, gutting it as he sees fit.

I don't like George Lucas but I still love Star Wars: The Hamill Years.

When we want to watch old traditional films, we use our theater mode on our holodecks and watch it in our personal theater.

It won't be any good unless I can go all Reginald Barclay on Jessica Rabbit.

I did come across a bit too strong there, allow me to clarify: I do still have a special place for the original trilogy, I enjoy watching them every now and then and I hope I always will do.

It is the legacy of the franchise which I have grown extremely weary of and George Lucas' hamfisted tinkering, paired with his absolute bleeding dry of our beloved story, gutting it as he sees fit.

It seems to me you haven't fallen out of love with Star Wars completely. :P Remember the uncorrupted versions of the OT still exist. They are the versions I saw as a kid. They are the versions that introduced me to Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader, the droids, lightsabers, etc. They are the versions that had a truly profound impact on my life, my imagination and my appreciation for film and art in general. Thank you George Lucas ;)

I think the last Star Wars film I watched all the way through was Empire Strikes Back (S.E.) and that was a few months ago. Honestly I'm practically Star Warsed out at the moment. Other than seeing ESB a few months ago I really haven't seen any of the other films all the way through in a long time.

The only time I'll do that again is next year when the movies are released on Blu-Ray.

This. The only new Star Wars development that interests me is The Old Republic, and even it isn't looking so hot (the constant adherence to the "movie fantasy" sounds like Lucas putting his foot down on that creative writing business).

I liked how they used to refer to the series as The Adventures of Luke Skywalker. It was on lots of merchandise from the day. I still see it as Luke's story, not Vader's. The prequels are more of a footnote to the Adventures of Luke Skywalker.

Yep, sure is. I'll never forget peeing my 8 year old pants when I saw it and begging my parents for it. Gatefold cover opens to a huge spread of photos and quotes from the screenplay. Good stuff.