Star Wars in 3D starting 2012 (Update: AOTC and ROTS cancelled)

ST-321

I MIGHT see it. I also wanna see if they still have the horrendous DNR in effect. Hopefully we'll be getting a rerelease of The Phantom Menace on blu-ray after this.

What DNR effect?

In medicine, a "do not resuscitate" or "DNR" , sometimes called a "No Code", is a legal order written either in the hospital or on a legal form to respect the wishes of a patient to not undergo CPR or advanced cardiac life support (ACLS) if their heart were to stop or they were to stop breathing after viewing a terrible movie in the cinema with 3D glasses.

I signed one of these. Were I to see Star Wars in the theater again, and die, I would not want to be brought back and have to remember having done so. Giving Lucas my $10.50 (plus $5 for popcorn and Dew) would be my last mortal act on Earth.

I know what Digital Noise Reduction is, I just wasn't aware that the Star Wars blu rays suffered from it. I have watched ANH and TESB so far and they looked fine.

or is Mr. Big saying TPM has always had it? Or just that the prequels look so fake, they look like they've had DNR applied?

Ah, gotcha! I haven't seen it at all yet. ANH and TESB looked utterfly fantastic (except for the AWFUL modifications of course)

I don't have the set, it's too much for what's basically a set with big disappointments.

Same with the TOS movies - I refuse to give Paramount my money until they include the director's editions of TMP, WOK and TUC!

I received it as a present from my girlfriend.

I picked up the Star Trek I-VI blu ray box used for $30, but ended up selling it for $40 used on Amazon before I had watched any (the box was scuffed up more than I had originally realized). At one point they were selling it new for $40 so I am just waiting for that price to show up again then I'll basically have bought it for $30 new. $6/movie!

i know what you mean, I much prefer the extended version of TWOK and I love the director's cut of TMP. But since they only rendered the new effects in 480p I doubt we'll ever see it on blu.

The scenes that were added back in to the TWOK DC should never have been removed in the first place. I love Kirk's line about how the only reason they are alive is he knew more about these ships that Khan did

I will go see it, just for the big screen experience again. I'm honestly not feeling that excited about it right now, but I feel like if I skip it, I'll kick myself later...I mean, it IS still STARWARS in theater.

I'm wondering if it will strictly be 3D or if there will be some 2D showings also....I'm not really that into the 3D hype.

I'm going. I love the movies and I'll take any chance I can get to see them on the big screen, 3D or not. (I prefer 2D if there's a choice.)

Also I prefer 2D.

Don't you guys think studios should re-issue famous films on the big screen on a more widely based scale? I think there must be a market for it. Just the original versions, unaltered.

I mean wouldn't it be nice to have a worldwide re-premiere of a big classic movie every two months or so? It would also connect modern and previous generations of moviegoers (eg parents taking their children to the movies they saw back then).

Thinking of it, didn;t they do it for the Lion King lately?

AMC does it from time to time. While I was working there they had screenings of Back To The Future, The Exorcist, and Beauty And The Beast (I think).

AFI does it continuously. The one in Silver Spring down here has 4 screens I believe, 1 of which is always dedicated to older films.

I can't wait for the Attack of the Clones Kids Featurette: "Uh oh Shmi - I don't think those red lines across your cheeks are face paint!"

Or Revenge of the Sith: "Hey young jedi padawans, maybe today wasn't the best day to go to the Jedi Temple!"

Five years is a long time, and anything can happen, but I think it will be made. These films will be successful again - a big financial gain for Lucas for a small price.

I don't believe for a second that this will be successful.

Granted, compared to Transformers 3, Phantom Menace is almost Shakespeare, but if there is any sense for quality left in the audience, why would they go see it?

For me, PM is worse than a Transformer movie because Transformers doesn't take itself so freaking serious.

I don't believe for a second that this will be successful.

Well, you're wrong. Your hatred for the film has blinded you from seeing that Star Wars fans are the biggest hypocrites on the planet. This movie sucks, why'd you change everything? I hate you, and it! Oh, it's in theaters? Here's $100.

Every commercial on Nickelodeon/Disney is exactly like this trailer - it's just the way marketers approach children. Usually adults don't ever notice these ads; I'm not sure why this one got circulated.

Putting the trailer aside, I'm looking forward to sitting in a darkened theater, seeing "A long time ago . . .," hearing John's iconic theme blare through the speakers as the opening scroll begins, and reveling in the Star Wars universe on the big screen. It's been seven years since I had that chance, and thirteen since TPM. It's glorious.

Apparent misconceptions I had about the prequels:

- Ben Kenobi and Owen Lars were brothers

- Anakin and Ben met during the Clone Wars, when Anakin was around Luke's age in SW

- He was born as Ben, but as a Jedi became Obi-Wan Kenobi

- Darth wasn't a title that all the Sith had

- Yoda always lived on Dagobah

- Yoda trained Ben

- Yoda and the Emperor had never met and also never had lightsabers

- Yoda was not a very major character

- The clones were Jedi and Sith (okay, this one is slightly lame)

- Jabba would have been nowhere to be found

- Owen had actually known Anakin and Ben for some significant amount of time

- Palpatine was pronounced "Palpa-tyne" (WAY cooler)

- Vader's armor was not randomly assembled by doctors, and he actually wore a suit in that style prior to his injuries

• 6 months later...

I merged two threads that were both about the Star Wars in 3D stuff

But generally just hit the gear to get the advanced search, use "Only Search In titles" and "As Topic List" and type like "Star Wars" to see all threads with Star Wars in the title for example