Star Wars in 3D starting 2012 (Update: AOTC and ROTS cancelled)

ST-321

Does that mean that we're getting an Attack Of The Clones soundtrack rerelease with Across The Stars dialogue version?

Man I hope so.

Sadly the forum software isn't built to allow searches for words under 3 letters long

As a developer, I'm compelled to (rhetorically) ask whoever wrote this board's software - why???

There might be some good sequences that would be cool to see in 3D. The chase through Coruscant, maybe parts of the Conveyor and Geonosis Battle sequences.

I never saw TPM in 3D, doubt I will see AOTC in 3D too. I'm not into the whole 3D fad.

I'm ok with 3D if done well (as in, used for depth, not stuff poking out)

All you need is a good cinematographer to achieve this with 2D.

Are you anti-3D?

I'm talking about physical depth, as in looking at a landscape, and it looks physically further back from the screen so you feel like you're there - I thought it worked really well in Prometheus.

Nothing will make you feel like you're there. You're sitting on some crappy seats with a dude shoveling popcorn in his face behind you. If anything, it takes you out of the experience. 3D does nothing to improve film. I've given it enough tries to say that I'll never watch a film in 3D again.

A good cinematographer can add depth and color and feeling to a movie more than any gimmick can.

AOTC looks pretty bad in 2d. I don't see any reason to see it in 3D.

It really is a horrific looking movie. To say nothing of the quality of it. It is visually a disaster. The compositing is terrible and even scenes with minimal effects and simply the actors on sets look like shit. ROTS at least looked like a film at points despite being shot digitally and despite all the computerized crap everywhere. AOTC looks more like a daytime soap.

Nothing will make you feel like you're there. You're sitting on some crappy seats with a dude shoveling popcorn in his face behind you. If anything, it takes you out of the experience. 3D does nothing to improve film. I've given it enough tries to say that I'll never watch a film in 3D again.

A good cinematographer can add depth and color and feeling to a movie more than any gimmick can.

I'm not defending 3D entirely. Films that use it as a gimmick, with things poking out of the screen and the camera moving close to an object - that does take you out of the film.

I do think that there are very few feature films that have used 3D properly, but I think that when done under the right circumstances it gives an extra layer of realism. There's space behind the screen - why not use it to extend the visual world when there is something on screen that would fill that space if it were actually there?

Well, I didn;t see TPM 3D (the trailer looked awful..dark and the effects unconvincing) so I won;t see this one

But we'll get the OST "Attack of the Clones 3D", meaning another 10 year delay to the release of the complete score because of poor sales

I'm not defending 3D entirely. Films that use it as a gimmick, with things poking out of the screen and the camera moving close to an object - that does take you out of the film.

I do think that there are very few feature films that have used 3D properly, but I think that when done under the right circumstances it gives an extra layer of realism. There's space behind the screen - why not use it to extend the visual world when there is something on screen that would fill that space if it were actually there?

I disagree. It makes it look like a children's pop up book.

Surely music is a gimmick as well? We allow film-makers to manipulate our emotions with sound, in a completely unnatural way. So why are they condemned when they introduce a more physical aspect to the picture?

In that sense, saying '3D is badly done' is about as definitive an argument as saying that the score is rubbish.

You are all so negative in these respects, only bashing and shitting on the prequels, on 3D, on George Lucas. Now some of you even start to shit on PJ and the NOT even finished Hobbit films. What's wrong here?

AOTC in parts is visually a masterpiece and in other parts pretty crappy. The great parts (Chase through Coruscant, Nightclub, Kamino, Clone Battle) alone are worth watching it in 3D.

The Phantom Menace in 3D was an utter waste. The 3D was scarcely used at all, and all it really did is wash out the look of the film.

Garbage icing on top of a garbage cake.

No it wasn't a waste, you are the typical prequel basher. It gets old you know.

I really liked it. I especially felt that the 3D wonderfully enhanced the podrace and the space battle. The 3D was used all the time just not "going out" of the screen. It was often used to give the whole film more "depth" in the quieter scenes.

I don't care about the 3d, in fact I wish they were playing it in 2D so I wouldn't have to spend so much money on the ticket. I'm just happy to see the films in theatres again.

im sorry freeze, the 3d hardly enhanced the Podrace, and I am not a PT "Basher".

I agree, Faleel...I was very underwhelmed by the 3D. It wasn't that I was wanting it to be super IN YOUR FACE kind of 3D but I seriously didn't see much added depth through most of the movie except the shots of outer space, which did look pretty nice, and some shots in the podrace.

I love Star Wars but the 3D TPM experience wasn't worth my money in my opinion

:(

That's the problem with most conversions - the depth just isn't there. And if it is, it's for select 'money' shots.

I've pretty much put a stop to watching converted stuff really. I want the time and effort to have been put into composing the shot right, not to fiddling with the image.

I feel like the OT in theaters again might be...underwhelming. It definitely will be compared to 1997. In those days, most of us had pan and scan VHS tapes on crappy analog technology. These days, we have high resolution home versions on giant screens with digital surround sound. We can replicate that shit at home and not have to deal with interference from the modern world. These days, we'll be in a theater surrounded be people messing around on their phones and probably nitpicking the image and sound quality compared to our home theaters.

I'll still see it.

This thread makes me laugh. I love how people are too grown up to enjoy Star Wars in 3D.

And the bashing continues by the same old pessimistic and negative people.... so sad

Oh, I'll enjoy Star Wars when it comes out in 3D.

Well, even the lackluster performance of Phantom Menace 3D hasn't prevented Lucasfilm and Fox from moving forward with 3D conversions for Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith.

Except this time, Fox will release them back to back next year. Attack of the Clones will hit 3D screens on September 20, 2013 and Revenge of the Sith follows a month after on October 11th.

I have to say, 2013 is going to be a good year to expose a fresh generation of moviegoers to Williams' scores. Jurassic Park in April, and then the final two prequels.

I still can't believe they only filmed AOTC in 1080p. It's gonna be like going to see your blu ray blown up onto a huge screen!

I won't be there.

I have to admit, seeing Star Wars and the Empire Strikes Back, perhaps even Return of the Jedi in 3D would have some interesting moments,

In Star Wars 3D would serve the Battle of the Death Star well, and in ESB the scenes at the beginning already have a 3D effect with the T-47's searching for Han and Luke.

The Asteroid field if done properly should have me projectile vomiting with joy.

The battle in the Death star is jedi would be terrific as hell.

In Star Wars 3D would serve the Battle of the Death Star well, and in ESB the scenes at the beginning already have a 3D effect with the T-47's searching for Han and Luke.

This is cooler than actual 3D. When you get that effect without conversion and glasses.

This is cooler than actual 3D. When you get that effect without conversion and glasses.

A good 3D conversion would make those scenes even better. That reminds me, the opening sequence and last action scene in The Dark Knight Rises felt like Christopher Nolan shot and framed it for 3D, even though he maintains that he wanted it to be a strictly 2D movie.

• 4 months later...

Star Wars 3D not happening

Yup, Episode II and Episode III will not be converted to 3D after the lacklustre performance of Episode I 3D and because of Episode VII.

Source: http://www.comingsoo...ws.php?id=99448

It does mean that any form of soundtrack reissues (expanded or not) will now not happen. Quite sad about this, even if all they did was reissue the OSTs with bonus tracks.

Views?

Good. Bad idea anyway.

And rather than psych people up for more Star Wars, these movies back on the big screen would likely have had the opposite effect. I'm sure this has less to do with "concentrating" on making the new Star Wars and more to do with how it will be marketed.