Star Wars in 3D starting 2012 (Update: AOTC and ROTS cancelled)

ST-321

Do you have the option of seeing them in 2D?

At our theater chain -- yes. For some brand-new 3D releases, the studios sometimes refuse to send us a 2D version (like Sony). But studios like Disney, WB, Fox, and Paramount make sure we have an alternate 2D show available.

Judging by the U.S. release roster (right now there's 4-5 scheduled wide releases for February 10th), I think for The Phantom Menace we'll have one or two 2D shows sharing space with the 3D version. Beauty and the Beast 3D will still be there, I assume if its 3D release is as popular as The Lion King's was.

• 1 month later...

Exactly. Overall, it just looked weird. Titanic, as well. Jack and Rose on the grand staircase looked good, but there was a brightly illuminated scene. The trailer seemed to focus more on darker scenes, especially the sinking, which looked kind of odd and less dimensional.

I saw the Titanic 3D trailer in 2D last night, and while the shots without special effects looked great on the big screen, some of the CGI-heavy scenes looked REALLY dated.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, that 3D trailer made me laugh out loud.

But I might see this to see how hokey the 3D conversion is. But hearing the podrace in 7.1 surround sound... a better reason. But if they got rid of Jar-Jar in the 3D conversion process, I would definitely buy a ticket.

Will they be selling pot in the theaters? I can't see the value of this otherwise.

If there's a version with the Rifftrax commentary playing on it, I'd be there opening day.

• 4 weeks later...

Are you guys going to see the 3D releases of Phantom Menace and the rest of the SW movies in cinema? Or will you neglect them for whatever reason (they won't probably add much to the originals).

I am not sure yet. Probably I will go, SW on the big screen...I don't think I will be able to resist. Remember the excitement of Episode I coming to theaters, 12 years ago? It has some nostalgic value to it as well :)

If I can afford it, then yes. If I can't see the entire saga, then I at least want to see Phantom Menace, Revenge of the Sith, Star Wars, and Empire Strikes Back. Not only do I really want to see these films on the big screen (I don't really care much about the 3D), but I want to support this cause. I want a chance to see more of my favorite movies in theaters.

Are they releasing the SW films one year at a time?

I haven't been able to decide about TPM. I saw the 3D trailer when I saw Tintin, and I admit that the 3D conversion ranged from acceptable to excellent from shot to shot. It's such a bad movie that I feel reluctant to spend money on it. AOTC will be the same way. ROTS is something I'd be more interested in seeing in theaters again. And then the OT is a no-brainer for me, even though I'll be hating many of the modifications, and the 3D will probably be a little choppier than in the prequels.

If I had my gf moved here to Cedar City in time then I would have gone to see it with her. However, since she won't be here by then I'm most likely not going to see it.

Seeing AVATAR in 3D was cool but after a while those 3D glasses started hurting me.

As blasphemous as it sounds, I've never seen any of the SW films on the big screen. So yes, I will be watching them in 3D. Better late than never, right?

I MIGHT see it. I also wanna see if they still have the horrendous DNR in effect. Hopefully we'll be getting a rerelease of The Phantom Menace on blu-ray after this.

What DNR effect?

I fully expect to go with my friends and bitch about it afterwards. :)

This is the mindset which bewilders me and continues to justify Lucas' regurgitations.

Maybe Lucas isn't to blame after all. Maybe the fans are.

Is the dialogue better in 3D?

Is the editing better in 3D?

Is the acting better in 3D?

Is the plot more captivating in 3D?

Is the score not as hacked up in 3D?

Is the movie not as overly long and tedious in 3D?

Will it be available overseas?

Jar Jar in 3D?

If the answer to any of these questions in No, then NO.

The thought alone is tiresome.