Home Alone music in The Santa Clause 2

A few scenes in the film contain music tracked straight out of Home Alone. What's unbelievable is that the music is used as score, not as background source music.

The original score is by George S. Clinton. He must have gotten permission to use JW's music, but it feels very wrong hearing HA score in a non-HA film.

I feel the Home Alone music should not have been used at all. What do you guys think?

"If you can't reach the level of such a great score, don't copy it, but (directly) use it"

:roll:

hmmm.....if the film had been good, it would have been a compliment. I haven't seen Santa Clause 2, but the first one was horrible.

I find it very mean.

what's so mean about it?

It's stingy. I don't think it's used as a homage. They must have liked the Home Alone score, and as they haven't got that level they wanted, they must have decided to use HA.

But it's a mere assumption of mine.

scissorhands - having watched "Munekata Kyodai"

Well using it and NOT giving credit is definately a problem. The film's credits should mention John Williams.

Something like "Original music composed by ____ , with additional music by John Williams" something to that effect.

I have to beg to differ in this case.

Pop songs are very identifiable in most cases and can be easily distinguished from the film's score.

Score music re-used can give people the idea that the film's composer created these tracks and is misleading.

Some mention should be made in the credits for something like that.

Pop songs are mentioned in end credits.

Yeah I know that. I was just sayin pop songs should be mtnioned in the end credits while any music used from another film score should be mentioned in the opening credits with the original music.

I imagine Disney had to pay for the rights to use music from Home Alone since Fox and Sony hold the rights to the music if I'm not mistaken.

• 18 years later...

Sorry for the 19 year late reply (someone else linked to this thread), but what's the story behind this? Did The Santa Clause 2 really use music from Home Alone, or was OP simply mistaken? Because I can't seem to find anything about this on Google aside from this thread, nor is there anything mentioned on IMDB.

12 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

What happened to rogue leader and scissorhands?

mattris is an old member? I thought he was a youngster will all the SW sequels apologism…

I thought the same until I saw his join date…

There isn't any music from Home Alone in the film that I'm aware of. The first two Santa Claus films are nostalgic for me (especially the music). I even picked up the promo score release of the second film for quite a bit not too long ago. Anyways, I am not aware of any spots where it uses Home Alone music at all. I'll keep my ears open when it's playing in the background of our constant Christmas movie Plex playlists.