What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Star Wars Episode III Revenge of the Sith by John Williams: Despite being thematically quite all over the place and at times choppy there are tremendously brilliant pieces in this score. The elegiac and tragic writing is perhaps well trodden territory for the Maestro but it still sends shivers down my spine and his dark dramatic writing has rarely been finer. While Battle of the Heroes is not quite Duel of the Fates level of novelty for Star Wars it proves to be quite a proficient unifying force for the final third of the score.

I just don't hear it.

Get the broccoli out of your ears then!

Episode III is a score I have become fonder as years go by. It might be my favourite of the Prequels although it is a tie between Episode I.

I love TPM, i think AOTC is very good. But this one doesnt do anything for me

Ditto.

Star Wars Episode III Revenge of the Sith by John Williams: Despite being thematically quite all over the place and at times choppy there are tremendously brilliant pieces in this score. The elegiac and tragic writing is perhaps well trodden territory for the Maestro but it still sends shivers down my spine and his dark dramatic writing has rarely been finer. While Battle of the Heroes is not quite Duel of the Fates level of novelty for Star Wars it proves to be quite a proficient unifying force for the final third of the score.

I listened to it too!

I love that little fanfare followed by the tragic string line at 4:12 of "Anakin's Dream"

I only like TMP and about 4 choice cues from the other two. Everything else is just high end music doing its uttermost best to polish a couple of turgid Star Wars sequels. I don't feel anything inside when I listen, I cannot connect with the musical narrative in the slightest.

There's always some flourish or passage that seems breathtakingly promising only to fizzle out all too soon to make way for another overcomplicated action piece or useless repeat of DOTF.

There's always some flourish or passage that seems breathtakingly promising only to fizzle out all too soon to make way for another.....useless repeat of DOTF.

I assume you are referring to TPM? because DOTF only appears once in each of the other prequels....

I agree, but those two usages are not (completely) tracked though (not that it matters of course), the first usage is in Return to Tattooine and was composed for the scene, the second usage is in the Duel between Yoda and Sidious and was tracked, but only the orchestra, with a new choral overlay recorded.

I agree, but those two usages are not (completely) tracked though (not that it matters of course), the first usage is in Return to Tattooine and was composed for the scene, the second usage is in the Duel between Yoda and Sidious and was tracked, but only the orchestra, with a new choral overlay recorded.

Get over your fanboyish nitpicking and see the big picture!

We were talking about scores we didn't like, and why....right?

Nope. Insurrection has an assortment of themes and motives.

What? like 3? :devil:

more like 6 or 8

Could you please name them? (returning themes/motif's don't count.)

Godzilla - Alexandre Desplat

As I mentioned in the other thread, this is the best of the year so far. I think everyone here will be very pleased with it.

Bold words...

I'll let you know if I agree after seeing the movie (and hearing the music).

You're right, I take it back. There will be the "not thematic enough!" and "too bleak!" gripes, but less than usual.

The samples sound decent enough, but don't fit the image TGP is painting of the score. I look forward to hearing the whole thing of course.

The samples sound decent enough, but don't fit the image TGP is painting of the score. I look forward to hearing the whole thing of course.

What image am I painting of it?

Die Another Day & The World Is Not Enough, David Arnold.

Nice combo

just the way it works. Though the DAD CD is relatively bare, could do with an expanded version such as the music prior to the hovercraft chase where Bond sets off the C4.

He hated it afterwards, while working on it he still may have been animated by the thought of another Oscar.

As nightscape says, I thought he was fed up with Malick's inability to tell a straightforward traditional story and constant editing changes.

I seem to recall he had an issue with Malick not being able to hold himself to a specific cut of the film and kept re-editing things constantly, which ended up butchering the music. I remember liking the score on album. The only memory of music I have while watching the movie was the use of the Das Rheingold prelude.

As usual with Malick's original music, most of it was replaced.

What image am I painting of it?

You just gave me the impression that its a really great score. I didn't hear that in the samples, that's all

It's my favorite prequel score, and it's not even close. I do have a few issues with it -- not at all sold on the "Clash of Lightsabers" interpolation, and "Battle of the Heroes" is relatively insipid, especially as a centerpiece theme -- but to my ears the action cues largely avoid the scattered quality that hampers the back-portions of "The Chase Through Coruscant" and "Jango's Escape," and the atmospheric writing retains an urgency that eluded Williams for vast swaths of TPM.

Great old-school unison wind writing there.

2014: THE YEAR THE WOODWINDS FIGHT BACK

I am not quite yet sold on Desplat's Gojira yet. Solid work but that piece didn't have much of the spine tingling greatness I am hoping for.

It's my favorite prequel score, and it's not even close. I do have a few issues with it -- not at all sold on the "Clash of Lightsabers" interpolation, and "Battle of the Heroes" is relatively insipid, especially as a centerpiece theme -- but to my ears the action cues largely avoid the scattered quality that hampers the back-portions of "The Chase Through Coruscant" and "Jango's Escape," and the atmospheric writing retains an urgency that eluded Williams for vast swaths of TPM.

Battle of the Heroes is not one of his best themes granted, but it gives still cohesion to the last stretch of the movie amidst all that incessant quoting of old material. I have a feeling that certain director temp tracked the hell out of the film and made JW stick with that thematic temp track very closely, which has either Emperor's Theme in short snippets or the Force Theme popping up every other minute. BotH tries too hard to be epic.

I am not quite yet sold on Desplat's Gojira yet. Solid work but that piece didn't have much of the spine tingling greatness I am hoping for.

How does it compare with Williams's War of the Worlds?

How does it compare with Williams's War of the Worlds?

Bear in mind I have only heard the previous preview snippet and now the piece Monsieur Shark posted above. I am of course darn biased toward Williams but I'll wait until I hear the full Godzilla album to make comparisons. I find Williams' WotW quite fantastic actually. The eerie use of voices and the relentless action set pieces are a highlight. I know good ol' Johnny meant to use the choral voices to humanize but those screams and high female voices keening are downright wicked. It is like the evil twin of Close Encounters in some respects.

The Hobbit Desolation of Smaug (Special Edition) by Howard Shore: Took another listen to the opening 30 minutes on my way to work this morning. The Mirkwood material is really growing on me. Flies and Spiders is tour-de-force of Shore's emotional ethereal writing and vicious Shelob-styled action music. And I love the dark opening of the score, which really paints and urgent feel and unsafe environment with mix of racing strings, percussion and brass for Beorn and lugubrious colours and brooding brass for Azog and the Necromancer.

Star Trek Into Darkness (Complete Score) - Michael Giacchino

Better than the first score IMHO.

I think so too!

Admiral Marcus's Theme is awesome!

Best tracks:

London Falling

Pride of Iowa

Man Vs Blaster

Torpedo Diplomacy

You Wanna Do What?

Ode To Vengeance is a brilliant concert arrangement, and one of Giacchino's best works. It tells you more about Marcus's character than the film does.

I love how he takes his main theme from the first film, and instead of hitting you over the head with pretty much the same variant of the theme over and over, he actually changes it a little, for example in Torpedo Diplomacy.

Torpedo Diplomacy blew me away when I first heard it. Never even noticed that brilliant music in the film

That music and scene (Sulu in the chair) is awesome, it reminded me of certain episodes of TOS when Scotty was in charge, the music for those scenes were always awesome.