What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

The score to Speed 1 is good, but almost completely different from Speed 2. I'll always like Speed 1 because it was a favorite movie of mine as a teenager, and the score was one of the first scores I bought. The LLL Expanded CD is a better program than the original OST.

It's a more synthetic score than the sequel one, though. I like it, but I totally understand why many wouldn't. Luckily for the sequel score he made great use of a full orchestra playing their balls off

TL;DR: Speed 1 is good, but Speed 2 is AWESOME

Joe Kraemer - Favor

Nice little score with a very good and catchy main theme (presented in the opening and closing track). How will the suspense stuff in between works might depend on if you've seen the movie or not, which I haven't but hope to soon!

Joe Kraemer - Riviera

Oh my, one of the most fun film scores of the year for sure!  It's a digital-only release of a score to a short film, consisting of a great throw-back song - written AND PERFORMED by Kraemer, followed by a suite of the short's score, which is just as much fun.  Catchy song!  You can check it out on Spotify:

http://open.spotify.com/album/1jFAuXNT9rfSicnRtVSRLc

It happens to be one of Alice's favourite and most often listened scores apparently. ;)

Yes, and I believe I even recommended it before in a similar context.

But it does have such playful and fun energy it simply cannot fail in raising your spirits. How can you not smile when the kazoos kick in?

I'm smiling long before that.

I guess I should check out HTTYD2.

Since when did Incanus become such a Powell fan?

I have always appreciated those few gifted who rose from the ranks of Zimmer's minions and became composers in their own right. Powell is certainly among them. I may not sing praises to Bourne scores but his orchestral work is quite impressive and he has a knack for combining it with modernistic touches.

Apollo 13

Dig this one so much. I can't believe I didn't include this in my "Top 5 Scores" post. Not sure what gets booted in its favor though....

Rosewood by John Williams

How To Train Your Dragon by John Powell

NORTH BY NORTHWEST

What a classic, both film and score. Which version? The original or the Varese re-recording?

The Hobbit The Desolation of Smaug by Howard Shore

The Intrada Special Collection version.

To be honest, I'm not the biggest fan of the film or the score. However, they do have their great moments. Herrmann's romance theme for the film is absolutely gorgeous. And Robert Burks's cinematography was outstanding.

I have a soft spot for the film, which is old fashioned, breezy and just plain fun (Gary Grant is largely responsible for that) yet has the indelible air of Hitchcock all over it. Herrmann's score is a bit more serious in tone although it has its lighter moments, the aforementioned love music and the mad dash of the fandango to propel it forward.

My favorite Hitchcock. Probably favorite Herrmann too.

Nothing beats Vertigo!

It is in the other end of the spectrum for Hitch and Herrmann too but I find the score his finest still.

My favorite Hitchcock. Probably favorite Herrmann too.

It's Hitchcock's "E.T.", in that it's his most accessible film. It's also my favourite film of his. For Herrmann's score, I waver between "NXNW", and "The Day The Earth Stood Still".

To be honest, I'm not the biggest fan of the film or the score. However, they do have their great moments. Herrmann's romance theme for the film is absolutely gorgeous. And Robert Burks's cinematography was outstanding.

It has a lot of filler. Which is why I rarely listen to it these days. I have the old Rhino, and since I got the Intrada, I only played it once. The highlights are fantastic, though, and I do regret never picking up the McNeely.

The film is a favourite. And endlessly quotable.

The film has some great moments, for sure. I love the idea of a villain getting the protagonist drunk and sending him for a ride.

Mason and Landau were perfect.

Predators by John Debney

Silvestri should have been credited on the front cover, given that most of this score literally consists of his music. Just louder and beefed up. Despite, it is a pretty effective update for younger generation.

Karol

Predators by John Debney

Silvestri should have been credited on the front cover, given that most of this score literally consists of his music. Just louder and beefed up. Despite, it is a pretty effective update for younger generation.

Karol

At least Debney tried.

My gripes have nothing to do with him really. He honoured the original in a way few composer are able to match. It's really close in style to both old and new Silvestri.

However, the album cover credit to Debney alone bugs me a bit. Must be a legal issue or something...?

Karol

The Lion in Winter by John Barry (re-recording Nic Raine & Prague Philharmonic Orchestra): A superb score for a superb film.

Rosewood by John Williams

Meh, right? If this was my introduction to Williams, I never would've been a fan.

Alex

No not meh at all. A really terrific score this one. Shows Johnny's versatility and ability to capture such subject matter very authentically and a nice flavourful throwback to his older scores on the similar subject matter (A Man Who Loved Cat Dancing, Missouri Breaks, The River).

The Lion in Winter by John Barry (re-recording Nic Raine & Prague Philharmonic Orchestra): A superb score for a superb film.

That album's alright because it's got Barry's music from MARY, QUEEN OF SCOTS. It's not a very good re-recording. Actually, it's pretty soulless, but I'm sure the fuck not going to shell out $100-150 for the out-of-print Intrada version. I hope LaLaLand re-releases it in the near future.

One of my top 5 scores, but an awful re-recording and transcription-by-ear. Lifeless with many mistakes.

Nic Raine really does you in, doesn't he?

It's a neglected gem of a score.

Agreed. "Look Down, Lord" always gets me, right here (points to heart).

I dunno, I quite like Battle Of The Bulge.

I quite like "BOTB" as well, especially as I'm fighting my own version of it (!), but "Patton" rules. Sorry.

How to Train Your Dragon 2 by John Powell

Far and Away by John Williams

Eastern Promises by Howard Shore: Combining Howard Shore's brooding sensibilities with Slavic/Slavonic/Russian stylings creates a score that is both dark and hauntingly beautiful at the same time, only enhanced by Nicola Benetti's crystal clear violin solos. Clarinet, balalaika, cimbalom and accordion all further help to give the piece ethnic colouring but also add wonderfully to the mounrfully ruminating quality of the score as it almost inexorably flows on carrying such bittersweet haunting quality. An atmospheric winner.

Night Crossing by Jerry Goldsmith: The new Intrada album is my first exposure to this score and what a score it is. Jerry Goldsmith at the height of his power conjuring a thrilling mix of suspense, nostalgia and soaring majesty. This is vintage Goldsmith with excellent musical narrative structure, powerful orchestrations from the maestro and it contains a magnificent main theme full of hope and exhilaration of flight and freedom it alternates with first class suspense writing and a nostalgia tinted accordion waltz ala Papillon. The Main Title, The Car and All in Vain encapsulate the East German regime's oppression and threat with aggressive rhythmic brass blasts reminiscent of Capricorn One, manic staccato ostinati and swirling figures in the strings and ever pounding percussion pulse. Highlights come thick and fast, the First Flight being a brilliant nearly 10 minute setpiece where the oppressive rhythmic military music competes with gorgeous soaring statements of the main theme offering nail biting excitement and sheer emotional thrill throughout. No Time to Wait, Final Flight and Into the West offer a magnificent finale where the main theme finally overcomes the oppressive rhythmic assaults of brass, percussion and threatening strings as it climbs higher and higher to freedom and a thoroughly satisfying end to this musical adventure. What a great discovery this score is! Better late than never.

Got the album today (actually it arrived last week, but I was on holiday), along with Solar Crisis, Hoosiers and Altered States. Never heard any of them (outside from a few samples) before, with the exception of Corigliano. Can't wait to familiarise myself with all of them.

Karol