What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Lionheart (J. Goldsmith)

Themes galore ! And they're all bloody great and used in such gorgeous and exciting ways... Jerry was a real tunesmith.

Even the at times silly synths can't ruin this one. Fantastic stuff. King Richard is just a brilliant piece with one of Goldsmith's most rousing marches.

I'm not sure if this counts as I haven't listened to the full score yet (it's a little bit too expensive on Amazon) but the "Overture" cue is spectacular.

Mark McKenzie is a composer I want to hear more from. His The Greatest Miracle is spectacular.

Does the main theme also somewhat remind you of Williams' Smallvile theme?

Karol

Actually now that you mention it, it does a bit but that is no small surprise given that they both strive to depict rural small town America with their Americana writing.

I'm listening to Crash and The Black Dahlia tonight. Happy Birthday to Mark isham!

One more thing:

Quite randomly, while browsing different website I encountered a clip of this score. And then decided to give the entire album a listen. It's quite good, I really like it - something a bit different, for a change:

Karol

Hoosiers by Jerry Goldsmith

The Concert Suite should be played more often. One of JG's best.

I listen to Goldsmith's sports movie scores much more than I listen to Williams's.

Hoosiers by Jerry Goldsmith

The Concert Suite should be played more often. One of JG's best.

I listen to Goldsmith's sports movie scores much more than I listen to Williams's.

Can't recall, but JW had sports movie scores??

Michael Collins - Elliot Goldenthal

Fantastic score. And this arrangement is really something.

Also Lincoln. The pinnacle of elegance and refinement, tearjerking simply because of its perfection.

Agreed on both counts

Indeed. And that arrangement is just sublime.

Also Lincoln. The pinnacle of elegance and refinement, tearjerking simply because of its perfection.

Agreed on both counts

Indeed. And that arrangement is just sublime.

Agreed on both counts

I am afraid I have to agree as well.

Goldenthal's work I would call ferocious. There is a certain piercing aggressiveness and lyricism in his music that cuts right through you. That arrangement is particularly haunting.

Lincoln is perhaps the single most focused Americana effort from Williams. It just musical captures the sounds and feel of the American music, its 20th century evocations of Copland and others but also the folk melodies and hymns, much as it was Williams' intention.

I listened to Revenge of the Sith today. The lament is beautiful and perfectly captures the tone and mood at that point in the film. I love the music accompanying Obi Wan to Utapau and also the thrilling opening scene. Snare, taiko drum and trumpets, flutes and piccolos, trombones and all things Williams.

I like the beginning of Padme's Visit when Anakin sees Padme's ship coming on the monitor, I love how that bit has so much emotion in it, seeing how uninspiring the movie was:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tUe0AtKPgQ

I also love the string writing in Scenes and Dreams:

Nice, thanks for sharing Koray! Have you read my review?

I'm listening to both last Die Hard scores by Marco Beltrami this morning. Needed an adrenaline rush!

Karol

Schindler's List- One of my favorite John Williams scores but not one I revisit too often as it requires me to be in a very specific mood. It's some of the most beautiful music that John Williams has ever written. The biggest fault of the album is the unnecessary repetition, with full renditions of the theme at the end of nearly every track (The Terminal had this problem as well). There are a few technical issues with the album too, such as excessive studio noise and occasionally hissy sound quality. Despite these issues, the album is still the best way to experience the score as many of the best cues are absent in the film.

Music-5/5

Album-4.5/5

Does anybody know if the gold album worth getting?

The Terminal was my listening experience today. Lovely, lovely score. Main complaint is that Viktor's krakhozia or whatever it's called is overused. The fountain scene is the best ever!

I like the beginning of Padme's Visit when Anakin sees Padme's ship coming on the monitor, I love how that bit has so much emotion in it, seeing how uninspiring the movie was:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tUe0AtKPgQ

That eerie chord at the start is a favourite of Williams. Occurs in a number of scores from the 80s.

Ah I suck at spotting instruments, thanks Sharky

I should have been more specific at the part directly at 4:35 are these still the same instruments?

I'm listening to both last Die Hard scores by Marco Beltrami this morning. Needed an adrenaline rush!

Karol

I hadn't. Thanks for the link! Seems we came up with the same ideas about the music.

Speaking of Beltrami, I'm currently reviewing The Giver and The November Man. Haven't given the latter a listen yet, but the former is a surprisingly delicate powerhouse. Completely unlike the Jablonsky-esque score I was expecting.

Journey by Austin Wintory: A wonderfully atmospheric musical journey that has almost meditative feel to most of its tracks. I hope Wintory has a chance to tackle more movies as he surely is a voice to keep your ears peeled for. My lenghtier thoughts can be found in the Reviews section of this MB here.

Young Sherlock Holmes by Bruce Broughton: Broughton's magnum opus along with his famous Westerns. A model of 1980's whimsical fantasy adventure score with great melodies, exciting setpieces and big heart. I know it is shameless self promotion but here you can read my verbose thoughts on the score at Films on Wax. ;)

I hope Wintory has a chance to tackle more movies as he surely is a voice to keep your ears peeled for.

That sounds painful. :mellow:

Start peeling Alan! I used the idiom in a painfully inventive way. Or you can always prick your ears.

Good healthy eclectic lineup you've got there, sir!

Karol

I hadn't. Thanks for the link! Seems we came up with the same ideas about the music.

Speaking of Beltrami, I'm currently reviewing The Giver and The November Man. Haven't given the latter a listen yet, but the former is a surprisingly delicate powerhouse. Completely unlike the Jablonsky-esque score I was expecting.

I've heard bits of The November Man, but not the whole thing yet. Who knows, might dive into it next. The Giver is supposed to be good, or so I heard.

Karol

Young Sherlock Holmes by Bruce Broughton: Broughton's magnum opus along with his famous Westerns. A model of 1980's whimsical fantasy adventure score with great melodies, exciting setpieces and big heart. I know it is shameless self promotion but here you can read my verbose thoughts on the score at Films on Wax. ;)

No love for Lost in Space? That one is actually my favourite Broughton and it beats his western scores hands down.

Belle - Rachel Portman

It's another typical Portman score, heavy on strings and woodwinds, but the theme is a nice companion to The Duchess. It's a very engaging listen nonetheless.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Gerhardt's Empire Strikes Back, Star Wars Trilogy: The Original Soundtrack and Anthology and I'm currently up to the end battle from Hook. This is exactly why I listen to music.

No love for Lost in Space? That one is actually my favourite Broughton and it beats his western scores hands down.

I'll have to give it a spin sometime soon.

You've not actually heard it yet? It has a trademark western-like Broughton theme. The score was composed in a very short period of time. Here's one of the major cues. And even if the hour long Intrada is nice to have, the 30-minute available in the original commercial album is a really good selection. You'll enjoy it.

I've heard bits of The November Man, but not the whole thing yet. Who knows, might dive into it next. The Giver is supposed to be good, or so I heard.

Karol

It's good. I'll go into detail in the review. Stay tuned!

Will do, I check out that website quite often actually. Been doing that for quite some time.

Karol

You've not actually heard it yet? It has a trademark western-like Broughton theme. The score was composed in a very short period of time. Here's one of the major cues. And even if the hour long Intrada is nice to have, the 30-minute available in the original commercial album is a really good selection. You'll enjoy it.

Karol

I have heard it but only once. It wasn't much of a listen as I unfortunately can't remember a thing about it. Too many great scores too little time I guess. Time to give it a serious spin.