What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Alan Silvestri - Predator 2 (Varese Deluxe)

Still amazing

Craig Safan - The Last Starfighter (Intrada Complete)

Absolutely fantastic in every way. A+ score, A+ release of said score.

Howard Shore - The Battle of the Five Armies

Still the weakest of the three Hobbit scores, but still good. I fully expect the EE music will elevate this score to a much higher level than I find it now.

Mark Mancina - Speed 2 (La-la Land)

Great action music!

Various Artists - Ron Howard: Passions and Achievements

Nice compilation of one track from the score to each of Ron Howard's first 12 films. So represented are Horner (Cocoon, Willow, Apollo 13, Ransom), Randy Newman (Parenthood, The Paper), Thomas Newman (Gung Ho), John Williams (Far and Away), Zimmer (Backdraft), Lee Holdridge (Splash), Burt Bacharach (Night Shift), and Peter Ivers (Grand Theft Auto). Very nice cues all around (even Zimmer's), though the choice to add dialogue to Apollo 13's cue (The Dark Side of the Moon) was a poor one.

Man, I forgot how awesome The Land Race is!)

Thomas Muis - De Schoonmaakster

Score to our own Mr. Breathmask's short film. I enjoyed it quite a bit! Nice piano work!

Angèle Dubeau - Game Music

This album right here. Very cool violin-led interpretations of some video game scores. My favorite tracks where the ones with music from Chrono Trigger & Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy, Secret of Mana, But I enjoyed the whole album! Tetris music was really fun :)

Isn't Starfighter one word? TLS.

Um... that's three letters.

He said that because TGP wrote TLSF for The Last Starfighter instead of TLS.

Funny. Funny.

laughing-movies-muppets-waldorf-statler.

I have a dream, of a time when Zimmer cues can be complimented, or called nice, freely, without using "even" to keep them at arm's length.

Isn't Starfighter one word? TLS.

Um... that's three letters.

He said that because TGP wrote TLSF for The Last Starfighter instead of TLS.

Drax did it first.

Karim Elmahmoudi - Orbit: A Symphonic Fantasy

Like this more every time I hear it!

It is available on Spotify: https://play.spotify.com/user/1219032234/playlist/0vBAhLy5yRCIrjNFSqZ1QO

Or iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/orbit-a-symphonic-fantasy/id594693872

Or Amazon mp3: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B6N4V8C

6/10? It's a masterpiece.

I'm listening to the Star Wars Trilogy Anthology in order discs 1-4, for the second time today. I also listened to both versions of Amazing Stories: The Mission.

Hmmm. That depends on what kind of mood I'm in really.

Well, if you're in an imaginary space-travelling mood, then...

Well, they both involve space travel, but for entirely different reasons (space colonization vs. space exploration and study of other cutlures)

Zimmer must have written that boring score on purpose. He looked at Nolan and said "How could you have made something so utterly coma inducing? I've received more entertainment from ASMR videos on YouTube! I and my underlings will write something appropriately and equally boring for your film."

Whereas Craig Safan would have watched the workprint of TLSF and said to Nick Castle, "Hey man, this movie blew me away. The special effects, the story, the romance. Space is romantic! This deserves the best space music since Trek Wars!"

Jerry Goldsmith would have watched STFC and said "have you worked out my paycheck with my agent?" and then "Hey Joel, you got a few moments to help me score this crap?"

I'm listening to the Star Wars Trilogy Anthology in order discs 1-4, for the second time today.

I haven't listened to those discs in disc order since 1997. I used the included book to distribute the tracks on disc 4 where they went in the other albums, taped them to 90 minute cassettes, and never looked back until I entered mp3 land.

I used to have CD-R versions around the year 2000 that were assembled into roughly chronological order. I also owned the RCA 2-disc book versions at the time, but I preferred the Anthology.

The Anthology is my go-to too. But the RCA Empire represents that score a lot better, especially the complete Battle of Hoth. And I hate interrupting the flow of the last quarter of the score by having to switch discs to hear Carbon Freeze.

That's what playlists are for. There's nothing missing from the Battle of Hoth on the Anthology except a bar at the end of The Rebels Escape Again. I prefer the clean endings and starts as presented on the Anthology. I even prefer the fucked up stereo channels in Drawing the Battle Lines / Leia's Instructions.

The theme from First Contact is some of Goldsmith's very finest work. As for Joel Goldsmith's contributions, as it turns out The Search for the Borg is all his, and it's always been one of my favorite cues. The Dish is fucking nirvana.

13th Warrior by Jerry Goldsmith

Sleepy Hollow by Danny Elfman

The Wolfman by Danny Wolf...I mean Elfman

The Missing by James Horner

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull by John Williams

The Lost World: Jurassic Park by John Williams

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug by Howard Shore

How to Train Your Dragon 2 by John Powell