What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Always liked the part of the track where it goes dark, as Kruge and party look up...sounds like an alien planet, like Goldsmith's score in Star Trek V.

--

Listening to Der Untergang/Downfall, Stephan Zacharias

Cinderella by Patrick Doyle

The Grand Budapest Hotel by Alexandre Desplat

Jupiter Ascending by Michael Giacchino

Wolf Totem by James Horner

Karol

Les Miserables karaoke has broken out. I'm about to give a showstopping performance of this one.

It's also been way too long since I've listened to this music. My earliest musical (and general) memories are of my mother listening to it.

Cutthroat Island by John Debney

War Horse by John Williams

Rosewood by John Williams

51NO1teHkhL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

CIVILIZATION: BEYOND EARTH (GEOFF KNORR, GRANT KIRKHOPE, MICHAEL CURRAN)

Stunning music, awe-inspiring and spine-tingling epic. Buy the soundtrack on iTunes. Listen to this playlist. Feel totally satisfied. ;)

1. The Seeding
2. Beauty in the Eye of the Orbiter
3. Destroyer
4. Solar Collector
5. Xeno Titan
6. The Signal
7. Deep Memory
8. Lux Perpetua
9. Our New World
10. Acclimation
11. Earth's Ambassadors
12. O Muse
13. Deep Space
14. Xenomancer
15. Promethean
16. A New Beginning
17. The Future of Mankind

Chris Tilton - SimCity

Lovely!

James Horner - Star Trek 2 The Wrath Of Khan

Love it! Anybody else skip past the Craig Huxley "Genesis Project" track every time? It's weird and ruins the flow of the score. Should have been a bonus track and not an main body track.

Patrick Doyle - Cinderella

Lovely!

Anybody else skip past the Craig Huxley "Genesis Project" track every time? It's weird and ruins the flow of the score. Should have been a bonus track and not an main body track.

Doesn't bother me that much, but yeah, it's not essential.

Chris Tilton - SimCity

Lovely!

James Horner - Star Trek 2 The Wrath Of Khan

Love it! Anybody else skip past the Craig Huxley "Genesis Project" track every time? It's weird and ruins the flow of the score. Should have been a bonus track and not an main body track.

Patrick Doyle - Cinderella

Lovely!

Simcity : I concur

Star Trek 2 : I agree with your statement

Cinderella : If I knew it I would most likely say something along the lines of 'Lovely'.

:groupwave:

cover_33511612112009.jpg

I don't know, I find Vangelis scores most soothing and nostalgic.

Haven't seen the film but looking forward to purchasing the Bluray with the isolated score.

It will be the first official "release" of the score.

41MP2F94CGL.jpg

HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS - JAMES HORNER

The promo. It's been a while and I find myself enjoying this one more each time.

It's Horner in his wacky and fun mode, though not as superbly entertaining as Honey I Shrunk the Kids, The Mask of Zorro or his animated scores.

Still it's good stuff and full whimsical moments coupled with instances where Jimmy can let himself a bit loose with some outlandish instrumentation and vocals.

The score has a nice enough opening and a strong end, the 3 final tracks are delightful in their own way and makes me wish Horner would've done more Christmas themed films. I'm guessing this is his only one?

Inherent Vice by Jonny Greenwood.

I simply adore this score. After actually watching the film the entire album forms a whole and both the score (which is very well represented) and songs form one of the finest soundtrack combos in quite a while. I seriously think this might be Greenwood's finest film work. The previous two were very showy and upfront, which is great, but this one proves he can actually adapt to different conventions, too. Plus, his take on noir genre is absolutely lovely. If I were to revise my top 2014 list again, it would end up much higher on it.

http://youtu.be/zBqJfDJqI60

Karol

The Monkey King - Christopher Young

It's very entertaining. I think it's more digestible than The Core in terms of sheer enjoyment and not as overwhelming either. Why isn't there a proper release for this?

I don't know what you guys keep hearing and/or seeing. The film and score are completely unremarkable.

Obsession or Inherent Vice?

It's very entertaining. I think it's more digestible than The Core in terms of sheer enjoyment and not as overwhelming either. Why isn't there a proper release for this?

How did you hear that?

I don't know what you guys keep hearing and/or seeing. The film and score are completely unremarkable.

I am guessing Vice.

I can see where you're coming from with the film (though it certainly has its merits).

The score however is definitely my favourite Greenwood score for a PTA film. And it's arguably my favourite from last year.

I am guessing Vice.

Correct.

I can see where you're coming from with the film (though it certainly has its merits).

The score however is definitely my favourite Greenwood score for a PTA film. And it's arguably my favourite from last year.

Yes both have redeeming qualities but are ultimately forgettable, in my opinion. The best bits of the score are ruined by dialogue on the soundtrack. Don't get the hype for Shasta's theme.

Yeah, the music is treated poorly in film. Was pretty disappointed with that.

But there's no denying that the score is arguably his most accomplished PTA effort in the "film score" sense. With its Herrmann-esque qualities, knack for subtlety (as Karol said, the other two scores were very "in-your-face", and at times were distracting even in film) and impressive handling of various colours, its hard not to appreciate it.

Shasta's theme is probably my favourite of the last year. Gotta love those swirling harmonics underneath...

How did you hear that?

You do know that there are places on the internet where you find music that hasn't been officially released right?

And that music is being shared on forums not too different from this one?

:P

How did you hear that?

YouTube.

--

Something Wicked This Way Comes (rejected) - Georges Delerue

It's beautiful in its own way, with Delerue's melodic and sweeping writing. It's a different approach, and one can see why the studio wanted something different. I still prefer Horner's score, it marries beautifully with the visuals and really captures that autumnal setting.

I would really like to see Delerue's rejected score remastered and given a proper release though.

Something Wicked This Way Comes (rejected) - Georges Delerue

It's beautiful in its own way, with Delerue's melodic and sweeping writing. It's a different approach, and one can see why the studio wanted something different. I still prefer Horner's score, it marries beautifully with the visuals and really captures that autumnal setting.

I would really like to see Delerue's rejected score remastered and given a proper release though.

Well there is always this one:

Regarding_Henry_2786036.jpg

And you can get it at Screen Archives Entertainment

The Black Dahlia by Mark Isham: A very open love letter to all things film noir and it works superbly well. The jazzy mournful trumpet led score oozes the period and atmosphere and swooning melodramatic romance with a dark undercurrent but always remains highly melodic. Isham takes his action music lead from Jerry Goldsmith (a la L.A. Confidential) and provides entertaining and at times thunderous propulsion with staccato rhythms from strings, quick brass licks and flurries from woodwinds and spikes it all with timpani. The main theme is a malleable affair, a mysterious, haunting and sad at the same time but Isham creates several other melodies to illustrate the main characters, including two jazzy love thmes. A throwback treat with heart.

51NO1teHkhL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

CIVILIZATION: BEYOND EARTH (GEOFF KNORR, GRANT KIRKHOPE, MICHAEL CURRAN)

Stunning music, awe-inspiring and spine-tingling epic.

... Just kidding, I thought it was boring. WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too long

No I just found it on Spotify and hit play on the first track. It was like 3 hours long and a lot of it was just droning.

Maybe I'll try your playlist sometime.

Yeah there's about an hour of ambient crap that's the total opposite of the majority of the other cues.

These are what you need (from the itunes tracklist):

01. The Seeding
05. Beauty in the Eye of the Orbiter
06. Destroyer
22. Solar Collector
25. Xeno Titan
26. The Signal
28. Deep Memory
08. Lux Perpetua
11. Our New World
14. Acclimation
34. Earth's Ambassadors
35. O Muse
37. Deep Space
39. Xenomancer
15. Promethean
19. A New Beginning
42. The Future of Mankind

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides Recording Sessions - Hans Zimmer et al

While not as good as the others, Its nice being able to hear more of the mysticism theme introduced in POTC 3 and the new theme in Mermaids.

Young Bess - Miklos Rozsa

Madame Bovary - Miklos Rozsa

The Red Danube - Miklos Rozsa

The Miniver Story - Miklos Rozsa

The Asphalt Jungle - Miklos Rozsa

East Side, West Side - Miklos Rozsa

The Light Touch - Miklos Rozsa