What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

17017.jpg

HONEY I SHRUNK THE KIDS - HORNER

Wow, it's been many years since I listened to the bootleg. I am extremely happy with the Intrada (this was one of my holy grails for a long time, so it was ordered in a micro-second), yet tracks seem ordered differently on the bootleg, and there's an additional 10 minutes of material, which for some reason couldn't make it on the official release. Sound quality is generally great, almost as great as the Intrada and I really like how the music flows on this bootleg, also a bit better than the official one if I have to be honest. The Intrada doesn't follow the film order, but it's a good presentation too.

So one of my favourite Horners for sure, and even if originality wasn't on his mind when he wrote it, creativity definitely was and I'm glad he came up with such an exciting and adventurous romp that is fun from the first second to the last, and also including one of the most gorgeous themes he ever did (Night Time aka A Place to Sleep). Both film and score brightened up my youth.

It's a mixed bag. There is some bland suspense material, and the score falls limp harmonically when it tries to go for the religioso and grandiose. But man, when it channels that quirky blend of Goldsmith and Herrmmann, it's on fire. Those highlights definitely makes it worth revisiting.

Have you seen the film? I noticed that once you know the story and what's what in the recording, it becomes somewhat less unwieldy on album.

Karol

To be honest, I could use an even longer one. Say, 3-CD set. One disc filled with pre-filming stuff and then the final version score with all this material edited to fit in with the later recordings (as they did it in the film).

Karol

I think that would be the best way, probably.

From what I could hear in the film, it sounds like a lot of the to-picture cues are written to lead into a certain section of a pre-filming cue

Been listening to LaLaLand's THE EGYPTIAN. Fine contributions from both Herrmann and Newman. This is the first time I've heard the score in full.

Williams' music for the final scene in CLOSE ENCOUNTERS reminds me a bit of Herrmann's "Prelude".

The Ten Commandments - Elmer Bernstein

All great scores.

So you heard the new Intrada 5-disc edition already? ;)

Karol

Been listening to LaLaLand's THE EGYPTIAN. Fine contributions from both Herrmann and Newman. This is the first time I've heard the score in full.

Saw this one tv yesterday and the music was spectacular. It even helped to gloss over the fact that Victor Mature shoots lions with a toy bow.

Highlander. The original, and still by far the best (film and score).

Williams' music for the final scene in CLOSE ENCOUNTERS reminds me a bit of Herrmann's "Prelude".

I just picked this one up, actually. Now I'm really curious about giving it a listen.

I wonder if someday a specialty label will put out a complete and chronological and remastered edition of Kamen's score?

It wouldn't be the same without the Queen songs (especially "Who Wants To Live Forever?"). I'd pick up a complete edition for sure.

I can't believe I only just noticed today that the doom trumpet motif which plays when Krypton is collapsing is the same one that underscores Lois Lane's perilous helicopter set piece later in the movie. But as always it's great when the dots are finally joined together in such matters :)

Thirteen Days by Trevor Jones: Just got this one in the mail. A nice mix of trumpeting noble and hymnal Americana and ominously steely and percussive militaristic drama and suspense histrionics and doesn't outlive its welcome even at the generous 69 minutes. I am actually surprised they went for such an openly melodic and emotional scoring approach for such a film but it works beautifully on the album.

Days-Of-Thunder-Soundtrack.jpg

DAYS OF THUNDER - ZIMMER

Great score ! It's the hard rock vibe combined with Hans' more sensitive approach that won me over in those days (of thunder).

So happy this was finally released, and quite a bit longer than the boot too. The Last Race is an awesome cue ! :)

I listened to that recently and just couldn't get into it. And I love The Rock, Crimson Tide, Broken Arrow, and The Peacemaker. I need to give it another chance.

Have you seen the film? Music's perfect for it. As those 4 you mentioned are too.