What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

I stopped pointing out typos and regret doing so in the past (though I occasionally revert to my old ways, though I'm trying not to). I think everyone else should follow so. If you truly have no idea what someone was trying to say that's one thing, but creating a new post for the sole purpose of pointing out another's typo is a waste of time and server space if you ask me.

I've said as much before: trying to correct every mistake on an internet message board is the voyage of the damned (especially in a forum where so many people speak and write English as a second language—more's the credit to them). It isn't worth the prolonged effort, and since you don't really know whether it was a random missed keystroke or if they really don't know better, you wind up offending people at least half the time with your presumption.

Of course, I feel the exception is when the typo/mistake winds up being something really funny. It's no different than when someone says something the wrong way out loud: as long as everyone can have a laugh about it, then it should be no big deal. (And for the record, I think the above "Sta Tek" blooper falls under this category. Obviously a simple mistake, but no reason why we can't smile over it.)

4732.jpg

Good fun from the maestro. It was a while since I spun this, really enjoying this now.

I hope he'll still be with us whenever the sequel will be made, because he simply has to continue Tintin, the seeds planted herein promise greatness.

That theme in Sir Francis and the Unicorn has to be explored further, because it's the best track the score has to offer.

One thing though: I ALWAYS skip a certain cue, I assume everyone knows which one I'm talking about. It got on my nerves once, never again...

I'd like to have Shore do it. Williams' effort isn't terribly interesting to me beyond the opening. Didn't sound like he was interested himself, at all. But Shore has quite a jazzy side that's been untapped lately, at least directly.

I'd like to have Shore do it. Williams' effort isn't terribly interesting to me beyond the opening. Didn't sound like he was interested himself, at all. But Shore has quite a jazzy side that's been untapped lately, at least directly.

Finally someone else agrees!

I'd like to have Shore do it.

Shore will never work with PJ again after the Hobbit fiasco!

I think so too.

I'm listening to some Kamen scores today. And his symphonic piece The New Moon In The Old Moon's Arms. I'm wondering... why does no one ever talk about how much he cribbed from himself? I don't have a problem with it, as I don't when anyone else does it, but it seems possibly even more obvious than some Horner instances but I never really see anyone mention it.

Tintin is great. I dunno why Koray and TGP don't like it. Did you guys dislike the film as well?

Tintin is great. I dunno why Koray and TGP don't like it. Did you guys dislike the film as well?

Well... why would you know why we dislike it? Do we share a brain?

The film was bland to me too, yeah. Felt very non-committal. Fun, but barely. It's just all kind of a soulless affair in my experience.

GREMLINS 2 - The New Batch (Deluxe Edition) - Jerry Goldsmith

A release i seriously planned to bypass...but in the inevitable end, the fanboy won! The old Varése album is a winner, one of Goldsmith last successful attempts at creating a glorious album out of highly motley styles, with a Deluxe edition only exposes how helter skelter the score really is - by design of course and it must be said that it is Goldsmith in his best demented mode here - loopy synth pop with e-hammond, the pig organ as it was called here in the 60's, seasoned with frequent Looney Tunes outbursts (love that train whistle) that exist in a slaphappy coexistence with John Rambo the Third all reigned in by those slaughterhouse rhythms from TOTAL RECALL - it's actually more enjoyable here where they don't constantly hammer away at you, truth to be told.

There are some fleeting moments of real beauty and poignancy, at least in the early parts. This must have been a Spielberg mandate which Dante clearly ignored once he got into the Clamp Tower/Gremlin action. Spielberg reportedly didn't like the end result, but the world can take only so many ET's and GOONIES - and it is a better place for the cuckoo GREMLINS 2, i reckon.

I did a fittingly scatterbrained suite of the as-of-yet unreleased material. It will not mesh well with your teary-eyed Horner recollections but here it is, anyway.

I'm listening to some Kamen scores today. And his symphonic piece The New Moon In The Old Moon's Arms. I'm wondering... why does no one ever talk about how much he cribbed from himself? I don't have a problem with it, as I don't when anyone else does it, but it seems possibly even more obvious than some Horner instances but I never really see anyone mention it.

He did. As does Elfman.

Oh and I really enjoyed The Adventures of Tintin. It was the best Spielberg film since... well... in a long time.

Karol

Finally someone else agrees!

Oh, I'm with you too. I hated neither the movie nor the score, but neither of them really stood out with me. I didn't feel it was another great Williams action-film score. Again, not terrible (any time you don't label a Williams score a classic around here, people assume you're taking the other extreme and have turned altogether to the dark side), but definitely not one of his best works.

GREMLINS 2 - The New Batch (Deluxe Edition) - Jerry Goldsmith

The old Varése album is a winner, one of Goldsmith last successful attempts at creating a glorious album out of highly motley styles, with a Deluxe edition only exposes how helter skelter the score really is - by design of course and it must be said that it is Goldsmith in his best demented mode here - loopy synth pop with e-hammond, the pig organ as it was called here in the 60's, seasoned with frequent Looney Tunes outbursts (love that train whistle) that exist in a slaphappy coexistence with John Rambo the Third all reigned in by those slaughterhouse rhythms from TOTAL RECALL - it's actually more enjoyable here where they don't constantly hammer away at you, truth to be told.

I liked this one much better than the first Gremlins score—though that was judging by the OST. I've been meaning to get my hands on the Deluxe Edition for a while now. I'll have to give your montage a listen first, just to see if it'll be a worthwhile purchase.

Well... why would you know why we dislike it? Do we share a brain?

The film was bland to me too, yeah. Felt very non-committal. Fun, but barely. It's just all kind of a soulless affair in my experience.

Agreed. It didn't engage me at all.

Yep. There's nothing exciting or emotional in Tintin (the movie), just dull detective work and unbelievably boring adventure sequences. I do actually enjoy the score, but I can see how others might consider it a bit phoned in.

Yep. There's nothing exciting or emotional in Tintin (the movie), just dull detective work and unbelievably boring adventure sequences.

'Unbelievably boring'? I mean, honestly. With 20-30 horrible Marvel finales per year, you single out TINTIN??

Are you kidding me?

Tintin is not Williams on auto-pilot. Most certainly not.

Belgian pride, right?

Not at all, I have no connection to the comics, and I never read them in my youth.

4732.jpg

Good fun from the maestro. It was a while since I spun this, really enjoying this now.

I hope he'll still be with us whenever the sequel will be made, because he simply has to continue Tintin, the seeds planted herein promise greatness.

That theme in Sir Francis and the Unicorn has to be explored further, because it's the best track the score has to offer.

One thing though: I ALWAYS skip a certain cue, I assume everyone knows which one I'm talking about. It got on my nerves once, never again...

Which one?

Williams' effort isn't terribly interesting to me beyond the opening.

That's actually exactly how I feel about Catch Me if You Can :music: , which I happened to listen to earlier today. It's too bad the light jazzy feel of the opening didn't translate to the rest of the score which is stylistically disjointed and relatively dreary.

The opera cue?

Of course!

It's the one track I feel had no place on the score album. I like its melody but the ending totally ruins it.

Last of the Dogmen.

They're barking mad for not making movies that have scores like this anymore. Takes a lot of effort just to sniff out decent music like this on eBay.

Yes, it's lunacy ! And that's for a film that no soul ever saw. :(

854.jpg

This is so underrated, because to most people Bear McCreary is the composer of BSG. They never mention the other guy.

But Richard Gibbs contributed to the sound as well. And he did so admirably.

There are some stunningly haunting cues that sadly never re-appear in Bear's universe (looking at you: The Storm and The Dead)

I also really love the theme for Six in all its renditions. So effective and downright cool to hear.

It's also the only BSG album I want to listen to in its entirety.

I revisit much more frequently because these days I hardly buy anything new anymore. I have a lot more time to revisit the classics. And loving them wholeheartedly.

I try to have a nice mix of classics I've heard a million times I still love; Other scores by composers I love I haven't heard as many times; And stuff that is brand new to me that I hope I will like.

I try to have a nice mix of classics I've heard a million times I still love; Other scores by composers I love I haven't heard as many times; And stuff that is brand new to me that I hope I will like.

I was like that, but I've been disappointed too much the last couple of years, even by composers that used to be in my good book. I've become more selective. A lot more.

Iris :music:

Hmm. Not sure how I feel about this one...

Feel happy, it's a nice score.

How to Train Your Dragon 2 by John Powell

Seven Years in Tibet by John Williams

QB VII by Jerry Goldsmith