What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Michael Giacchino - LOST (Season 1 OST)

I think I love this disc more now than ever before. Maybe I had never listened with good headphones before; Man there's a lot of great music here! I used to think Season 1 was kinda synthy and the scores got better as they went on (they certainly get more full of memorable themes). But the season 1 OST is already packed with great themes! LOST as a whole is still Giacchino's masterwork and probably always will be.

Alan Silvestri - The Avengers

I had never listened to this before; I think after I didn't like the film when I saw it in 2012, I just had no interest. But when I re-watched the film this summer and liked it more than I remembered, I was inspired to check out the score again, and I liked it a lot more!

I actually really like the inclusion of electronic effects in a few tracks; It's done well. The main theme is catchy and great of course. Highlights include the eery music i the beginning, the early underwater music for Stark, the Hellicarrier cue, the theme for the money shot in Assemble, I Got A Ride, and the final track. A solid effort from Silvestri.

I listened to the digital OST on Spotify.

Yeah all the themes were there from day one, but the way he developed and orchestrated them as the show went on got better and better.

And yet I prefer some of those original germinal appearances of certain themes to later explorations.

The "main theme" in Credit Where Credit Is Due always puts me right back into the Lost frame of mind. One of his best themes.

Ahh....

And then six years later.

Come back, Lost MG.

How does MI5 compare to the GIacchino scores?

The lack of Giacchino finesse if painfully apparent, but, taken on its own merit, it's a perfectly serviceable score.

While I wouldn't call what Giacchino has "finesse", I would much rather have Giacchino tackle light-hearted action movies like the Mission Impossible movies than most of the other projects he's been attached to lately or (god forbid) Star Wars. Other than Lost, he hasn't been proven very adept at enhancing the tension or drama onscreen (and that two alternating "emotional chord" piano sound that he's milked to death doesn't count)

Fantastic Four by Philip Glass, Marco Beltrami & co...

There aren't many scores that I've been really taken with this year, but this is certainly one of them. Glass' Prelude is a great piece, encompassing many of his familiar Glass-isms but executing them in an intriguing fashion that allows it too sonically distinguish itself from his other works. Plus I like some of the polychordal stuff going on, both in the middle of the piece and the chord at the end. As Grey mentioned earlier, I wish Glass got to score the rest of it, and we would a much more intriguing product.

That isn't to say what we ended up getting isn't commendable. Credit goes to Beltrami for extrapolating some of the motivic ideas of the Prelude to form the thematic core of the score. The score shines when he attempts to infuse Glass' cyclic rhythms in colourful ways such as "Baxter" or the winds in "Building the Future", though there good number of examples of less sucessful Glass imitations. As we near the end, you hear more of Beltrami's bland broad-stroke writing, but even that stuff is supported by some nice colours. Always nice to hear winds appearing in blockbuster film scores again, and some really nice ambient sounds. Even the Alien-esque bits seem to fit into the fabric of it all.

Overall, it's a mixed bag, but still one of the better scores the year's had to offer so far.

3940.jpg

A true guilty pleasure kind of flick for me. And Silvestri in blood-pumping action mode. :drool:

Similar to Judge Dredd and Predator 1 & 2, and just as fun and exciting.

The LLL expansion is awesome. This is the edition to get, though the shorter one has the highlights, it misses a couple of cool cues that really enhance the experience.

Damn I do miss the Silvestri of this era. Of his more recent work, only Captain America comes close, and only a couple of times in the entire duration.

Yes, it's a far cry from the quality of Eraser. All I remember from it is, something cool begins and it stops 5 seconds later... repeated for the entire album.

The theme is excellent though and I've made a suite of all the good material of The Avengers. It's 8 minutes long.

There are some things we don't agree on, praise the lord !!!! :D

Oh don't get me wrong, I don't think its great or anything - if it wasn't for that main theme, it would barely register as anything out of the ordinary at all - was just curious if you'd heard it.

I've had the Eraser OST and LLL Expansion each since the day they came out.

John Williams - Jaws (1975 OST)

John Williams - E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (1982 OST)

John Williams - Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull

It's not like one of the top 50 themes ever, but as far as modern film music goes its not bad.

I don't get all the praise for the Avengers theme (especially from Stiff, who seems to absolutely adore it). I find it rather average.

I knew I liked you for a reason.

I can just imagine the collective hallelujahs if AVENGERS would have gotten sth. distinctive like the 4-note fanfare from EXECUTIVE DECISION...and even that is creative rot at its smelliest.

Superman the Movie by John Williams

Trumpet Concerto by John Williams

Tuba Concerto by John Williams

10476.jpg

Just excellent. What a masterfully produced album (1998 Ryko). I have two desert island Barry scores. Dances With Wolves and this one.

It's also the best James Bond score for me. The one little drawback is that I have to program the tracks each time to get the best listening experience.

This was always the case with these expanded Barry & Bond albums. But hey the music is brilliant all the way so I'm not really complaining.

I could rip the CD and do it the easy way, but no I'm terribly old-school in that I physically insert the CD in my player, program the tracks and listen from that. :D

It's what continues to make me tick and I see no reason to change. :yes:

:up: Yea, great CD! Also the first Bond score I ever bought after Goldeneye and Tomorrow Never Dies

Very helpful to have the correct track sequence in the great liner notes too, even if the booklet is a bit lame (not really a fan of these poster fold-out thingies).

I'm sure someday all the Bond scores will be better / proper expansions

Yeah, one of my favourite little cues in TLD is that variation on Where Has Everybody Gone when Bond's drugged onboard the Hercules.

Love that horn counterline at 0:08.

Can see why it was left out, but still....

Michael Kamen - Die Hard With A Vengeance (La-la Land)

Excellent!

Jerry Goldsmith - Gremlins 2: The New Batch (OST)

Wow, super fun! I'll have to pick up the Varese expanded for sure!

Taxi Chase is a fun track... it's worth buying the release for that alone, wouldn't you agree? The rest is just boring by comparison. :P

As for Gremlins 2, it has now become my best loved Goldsmith score for a Dante film, after The 'Burbs filled the top spot. There's just too much zany fun to be had with Gremlins 2.

The first one has a darker edge and I think it's great too, but this one just pokes fun during its entire runtime. Also the synths and wacky sound effects raise a smile everytime.

Happy it got released, even more happy that such a genius has lived to write it. :worship:

Taxi Chase is an amazing, awesome action track, but I love all the Johnny Comes Marching Home stuff just as much, and that Yankee Stadium / School and Tunnel track. So much awesome stuff here. And Ode To Johnny!!

I'm sure someday all the Bond scores will be better / proper expansions

The 2003 expansions were a godsend though, despite the restrictions EMI imposed.

The AVTAK release from 2003 has so-so sound quality, so I recently bought the old Japanese release to see if it's any better. Haven't received it yet.