What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Scores? Yes, of course.

Film? Neither was great......

Ok if Lincoln is not your cup of tea but not even War Horse? A bit dragging in the middle but it really comes together during the big battle sequence (No Man's Land) and from then on I loved the film until its final gorgeous shot that is as poetic as they come. To make the horse the star of the film was a stroke of genius on Spielberg's part.

John Williams - The Phantom Menace (the original single-disc album)

And my mind didn't change about it: some fantastic concert suites (Anakin's Theme, Duel of The Fates, Parade of the Flag), a Trade Federation Fanfare that enerves me (because it remembers me the wonderful plot and characters of the movie...) and the rest is just... filling music. Comparing to the old trilogy scores where pretty much all the cues is original material (and even "songs" that can be hum), TPM is a "normal" score. That's not bad (hey, it's a JW score!), but that's an "average" score.

JW putted his heart in the suites, and that's it. You will never take me the idea that the relation between JW and GL while scoring the prelogy was not in good spirits.

But... But... The Tide Turns! Escape From Naboo! The Flag Parade! The Funeral Of Qui-Gon! Swimming To Otoh-Gunga! The Gungans March! Qui-Gon And Darth Maul Meet! The Droid Battle!

Those two are not on this album.

:music:Avengers: Age of Ultron. Listening to the entire album for the first time since I got it. It doesn't really make any sense as a listening experience. Not only is it not in any sensible order but it also doesn't create any stylistic whole.

Karol

The Witches of Eastwick by John Williams

Unbreakable by James Newton Howard

John Williams - The Phantom Menace (the original single-disc album)

And my mind didn't change about it: some fantastic concert suites (Anakin's Theme, Duel of The Fates, Parade of the Flag), a Trade Federation Fanfare that enerves me (because it remembers me the wonderful plot and characters of the movie...) and the rest is just... filling music. Comparing to the old trilogy scores where pretty much all the cues is original material (and even "songs" that can be hum), TPM is a "normal" score. That's not bad (hey, it's a JW score!), but that's an "average" score.

JW putted his heart in the suites, and that's it. You will never take me the idea that the relation between JW and GL while scoring the prelogy was not in good spirits.

Well I beg strongly to disagree. The original soundtrack album is truly one of the least focused of his career with cues combined from all over the place. The complete score in chronological form flows much better and contains many highlights left off the OST.

The original soundtrack album is truly one of the least focused of his career with cues combined from all over the place. The complete score in chronological form flows much better and contains many highlights left off the OST.

I actually don't recogize the crap called "The Ultimate Edition", even less all the bootlegs circulating on the web.

Sorry.

OK, I'd like to precise that Bespin yet again edited his post after my comment!

Always wait 20 minutes before answering or quoting my posts. That's the time I take to re-read myself and try to correct my baaaad English. :)

Please don't answer too quickly, like by writing : "OK. Wait, shit!"

Inky didn't mention The Ultimate Edition.

"... even less all the bootlegs circulating on the web." :nono:

These are not bootlegs. Scoring sessions never leaked and all the music files are taken from various video games. So it's all legally obtained.

Karol

The Phantom Menace is a great film score, Williams wrote over 2 hours of amazing music there.

The soundtrack album he arranged at the time of the film's release is really quite odd. Sure, it contains a lot of the highlights of the score.... but it misses SO. MANY. more! He did some really cool things with The Force Theme in that score, and wrote a great theme for Qui-Gon Jinn, and neither of those things are on that OST album at all.

The Phantom Menace is a score that needs to be heard in a different program to be appreciated.

Here's hoping Lucasfilm, Disney, Fox, and Sony can work together someday to let Matessino produce a perfect multi disc set of this great achievement so it can be appreciated properly by those who refuse to download "bootlegs"!

Inky didn't mention The Ultimate Edition.

"... even less all the bootlegs circulating on the web." :nono:

These are not bootlegs. Scoring sessions never leaked and all the music files are taken from various video games. So it's all legally obtained.

Yes, yes... Legally...

Sidious.jpg

Listened to the tracks I have from the Paper Chase as well as the main and end titles of the Poseidon Adventure.

Every time I become more of a fan of pre-Star Wars Williams. Something about how these scores sound to what came after Star Wars -I like all of his music but that 70s stuff was something else.

No God No Master by Nuno Malo: Quite an elegant piece of work.

:music:The Cell by Howard Shore

Karol

:up::up::up:

I have yet to listen to this score.

The Phantom Menace is a great film score, Williams wrote over 2 hours of amazing music there.

The soundtrack album he arranged at the time of the film's release is really quite odd. Sure, it contains a lot of the highlights of the score.... but it misses SO. MANY. more! He did some really cool things with The Force Theme in that score, and wrote a great theme for Qui-Gon Jinn, and neither of those things are on that OST album at all.

The Phantom Menace is a score that needs to be heard in a different program to be appreciated.

Here's hoping Lucasfilm, Disney, Fox, and Sony can work together someday to let Matessino produce a perfect multi disc set of this great achievement so it can be appreciated properly by those who refuse to download "bootlegs"!

The sound quality should match the UE however. I love the thumping that one gives my hi-fi.

No God No Master by Nuno Malo: Quite an elegant piece of work.

:music:The Cell by Howard Shore

Karol

:up::up::up:

I have yet to listen to this score.

It's very good.

Now listening to Dead Ringers (aka A Nazgul Story) by the same gentleman. A rather excellent score.

Karol

Yup, the TPM UE is one of the best sounding film score CDs I own!

At least they got one thing right!

Although I own the Ultimate Edition and I like it a lot despite its faults, there's a fan edit out there that attempted to erase those faults as much as possible. It makes for a solid complete presentation of the best of the prequel scores.

447.jpg

Plus 3 absolutely essential cues: The Chariot Race, The Nile of Blood, The Ten Commandments.

Well it's in my top 3. That's how much I love every aspect of the music. Zimmer's brilliant themes, his contributions to the songs, and of course the wonderful songs by Stephen Schwartz.

There's not a single neck hair that stays down during 'Deliver Us'. What a tremendous opening, it's stunningly performed.

Then it's one fantastic cue after another. I can barely contain myself during 'The Chariot Race', 'All I Ever Wanted', 'Goodbye Brother', 'The Burning Bush', 'Playing with the Big Boys', and the list goes on.

Practically every score cue or song is gold IMO.

It's like music composed in heaven, and us mere mortals trying to grasp what the god that wrote it, was attempting to convey.

ZIMMER IS GOD! There, I said it. Let the shitstorm begin. :yes:

Don't get me wrong, Williams is still the uber-god, so that you realise I haven't turned insane or lost my good sense. Because I'm still me. :wave:

Seriously, this is fantastic music for one of my favorite animated films.

The Betrayal (Nerakhoon) by Howard Shore: An intimate, lyrical and haunting experience where Shore writes for a chamber orchestra and choir and cello soloist. The score is for the most part pensive and even mournful and Sophie Shao's solo cello is the featured instrument carrying the often bittersweet melodies and musical meditations in its sinously sonorous tones throughout the album. The choral work has Shore's indelible mark but it is kept mostly subdued so the operatic quality of his music for the Middle-earth epics is not present here but in shades, which is actually a refreshing. There is audible restraint in the music but it succeeds in making impact none the less while maintaining a very consistent mood throughout, which might for some listeners prove too sombre but I thought it was just what the doctor ordered on this quiet summer evening.