What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

:music:Capricorn One (film version)

Karol

I was just listening to that as well. The film version has been really growing on me. I love the slow burning suspense writing here. Effective, often economic and propulsive.

MOH: Frontline is a powerhouse of a game. "Disjointed levels" is hardly the right way to describe it. Playing "After The Drop" for the first time and hearing that choir come in is one of the most chilling moments of my video game history.

Although the game isn't perfect, it captures the atmosphere of an old WWII flick like The Guns of Navarone or Where Eagles Dare really well.

MOH: Frontline is a powerhouse of a game. "Disjointed levels" is hardly the right way to describe it. Playing "After The Drop" for the first time and hearing that choir come in is one of the most chilling moments of my video game history.

Although the game isn't perfect, it captures the atmosphere of an old WWII flick like The Guns of Navarone or Where Eagles Dare really well.

It's terribly dated and linear in these times though. I played it in 2002 and it was alright. I'd like to go through it again, but I fear its datedness will shine through even more.

MOH: Allied Assault on PC had the best Omaha beach segment though... the one in Frontline was weak by comparison.

:music:Capricorn One (film version)

Karol

I was just listening to that as well. The film version has been really growing on me. I love the slow burning suspense writing here. Effective, often economic and propulsive.

It's amazing how a slightly different performance/arrangement/recording can change so much. The album version sounds more epic but this one aims for suspense. It almost feels like another crack at Planet of the Apes (well, bit less experimental).

Karol

I just listened to the two MoH cues above and whilst they were middling to okayish I just don't get the swooning admiration you guys gush all over them at the drop of a hat. To me they're about as interesting as stock war tracks they used to play over old eighties WWII tv documentaries. Would anyone here wish to listen to that stuff on headphones? I know I wouldn't.

Middling to okayish? Stock war tracks? old eighties WWII documentaries? :pfft:

Away with you ! You clearly can't appreciate great music or a fantastic recording. :down:

;)

Those powerful brass attacks in The Rowhouses ! :rock:

Which Medal of Honor game is the best one?

MOH: Allied Assault by a mile, because it's the only one of the WWII shooters that was made for the PC platform, so it had the best controls and graphics. Also the Omaha beach landing and takeover is brilliantly executed. And it didn't take place in the beginning of the game either like Frontline, it came much later.

I just listened to the two MoH cues above and whilst they were middling to okayish I just don't get the swooning admiration you guys gush all over them at the drop of a hat. To me they're about as interesting as stock war tracks they used to play over old eighties WWII tv documentaries. Would anyone here wish to listen to that stuff on headphones? I know I wouldn't.

Go back to your middling Halo soundtracks you grouch!

Actually I have no idea how Halo scores sound. I just thought I had to give some kind of indignant JWFan retort.

MOH and Halo couldn't sound more different from each other, and I love em both.

There's obviously much more electronic work going in Halo that isn't always interesting, but the themes are legendary (well in video game terms at least).

Which Medal of Honor game is the best one?

MOH: Allied Assault by a mile, because it's the only one of the WWII shooters that was made for the PC platform, so it had the best controls and graphics. Also the Omaha beach landing and takeover is brilliantly executed. And it didn't take place in the beginning of the game either like Frontline, it came much later.

Interesting... which is the best on a console, then?

A.I. Artificial Intelligence. It's been quite a few weeks now since I had a chance to go through an entire LLL set. It's wonderful, a masterpiece even. Yeah, I said that.

The Empire Strikes Back (Gerhardt album).

Jane Eyre. Restoration might be among my very favourite pieces from John Williams. Like, ever.

(apologise for City of Prague Philharmonic video but there doesn't seem to be any other one on Youtube)

EDIT: Hey, found a Boston Pops (supposedly version). It's slightly better.

Karol

What an excellent Williams-themed day you have had Karol. :thumbup:

Love, Caution by Alexandre Desplat

The Ghost Writer by Alexandre Desplat

Hella W. by Panu Aaltio

The King of Nerac Michael Csanyi-Wills: Not a historical or fantasy film as the title might suggest but score for a documentary about a British painter. Mesmerizing and classy stuff.

Luv by Nuno Malo: Ambient electric guitar led score for an urban drama. How could Inky like this? Well the answer is: surprisingly easily.

3106.jpg

The action music is so enjoyable in this one. Very exciting during the second half of the album (that crazy percussion !!)

I love it when Horner went all adventurous, and this film demanded it... it's his take on King Kong, but for kiddies.

The man also penned a sweet little lullaby first heard in 'Poachers'.

He develops it into something absolutely gorgeous in the last track 'Dedication and Windsong'.

It's classic Horner in that it isn't always original, has many Hornerisms, but is very entertaining because of all the exciting music and wonderful finale.

Yet, surprisingly it doesn't have the danger motif, or I've missed it.

A middling Horner score. For some reason the Windsong gets on my nerves. But I am weird that way.

It's a cheesy Umba-bumba tune but then it's not the main theme - which is a typically chipper sing-along melody modelled somewhat after Goldsmith's obscure BABY tune - sounds unlikely but then Horner also borrows some of the POTA bass slide whistles so who knows.

There is indeed some very engaging underscore here with some snoozers in between (it's also very LOTF-inspired). For lovers of Horner children scores.

It's a cheesy Umba-bumba tune but then it's not the main theme - which is a typically chipper sing-along melody modelled somewhat after Goldsmith's obscure BABY tune - sounds unlikely but then Horner also borrows some of the POTA bass slide whistles so who knows.

There is indeed some very engaging underscore here with some snoozers in between (it's also very LOTF-inspired). For lovers of Horner children scores.

It has a theme lifted from Legends of the Fall but that's where the similarities stop. And oh yes I'm a fan of Horner children scores, as I assume most fans of the man are too.

In fact it's impossible to be a fan of the man's scores without adoring at least a couple of them kiddie fare.

This topic sucks.

You are diagnosed with a withering cancer and you have only few days to live, what is the LAST score you listen to? :)

This topic sucks.

You are diagnosed with a withering cancer and you have only few days to live, what is the LAST score you listen to? :)

Can't get over what a perfect ending to the film and score this cue is. It's just a little cadence, really, a few chords to cap off everything that came before. A masterstroke.

QB VII by Jerry Goldsmith: Heck the themes of this score should not be this hummable but they keep playing in my head all the time. Bless you Jerrald!

Rambo First Blood Part II by Jerry Goldsmith: Hey this score is kind of awesome! It's like a beefed up version of the original and with added (at times annoying) synths.

Funnily enough I have not seen the first one all the way through. I have to rectify that tonight!

I'm happy the three Rambo movies are now on US Netflix. I only saw the first.

Thanks for the heads-up. Never seen the first two so I've added them, since I have Rambo III on blu-ray (guilty pleasure).

Today on Karol's playlist! The ultimate superhero score: Superman: The Movie (it's been ages!) and it's only real worthy successor Superman IV: The Quest for Peace.

Karol

It was a little over-reliant on the Donner films though. More like Superman Reruns! :rimshot:

I love when suites make coherent trilogies, and for me "Superman - The Movie", "Superman II (Donner's Cut)" and "Superman Returns" makes one.

Send the rest to trash, including the new series and the upcoming farces à la "Superman vs Batman".

You're not a fan of Superman Returns?

I like Ottman's score, it does have a lot of heart. And it is in the right place. It very much tries to please. Composer conjures the holy trinity of Williams, Horner and Goldsmith in order to create this semi-modern Superman story. Sometimes painfully obvious references spoil the fun, sometimes they're really good. But it's like a impatient child who wants 30 seconds of this and 15 seconds of that without ever really establishing much of its own identity. Which is why it could never do justice to any of its, otherwise fine, sources of inspiration. As someone once pointed out in a FSM podcast, Ottman's ambition is reaching past his skill level. It's an admirable job... but not quite up there. Feels a bit incoherent and patchy sometimes. In all fairness, though, most composers would fail at this task.

Having said all that, I do enjoy the music, for what it is, on both available albums. If only for its genuine enthusiasm.

:music: Searching for Bobby Fischer by James Horner. This is actually a very good score, considerably less melodramatic and syrupy that he would have done it later on in his career. Maybe because the thematic material feels less developed beyond it's chord foundations. Really pleasant disc from LLL.

QB VII by Jerry Goldsmith: Heck the themes of this score should not be this hummable but they keep playing in my head all the time. Bless you Jerrald!

One of his best.

Karol

Funny. Bought the new Fantastic Four soundtrack CD and completely forgot I had it. LeBlancilitis is taking over! Just gave it a listen. It is very boring. Aside from the first track, which is run-of-the-mill-Glass-doing-blockbuster. Might have some merit but I have no patience to dig further. Next!

:music:The Secret of NIMH. Now, that's more like it.

Karol

Joe Kraemer - Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation

So much fun! Already desiring the great unreleased action music I heard in the film

Danny Elfman - Mission: Impossible

Flippin' awesome!

Hans Zimmer - Hannibal

I found this exceptionally boring. Why is it so hyped?