What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

A Rózsa epic re-recorded by the Prague Philharmonics. Just take my money already!

Dialogue should never be included on a score album.

Unless it is separate from the music!

I think recently Ilan Eshkeri did that with Coriolanus. Score on disc 1 and dialogue and music on disc 2.

Schindler's List (Expanded Edit) - John Williams

Expanded Edit??? Bootleg bootleg bootleg.

Bootleg! Bootleg! We have a bootleg here!

See? Nobody cares.

Never?

It works brilliantly on TWOK!

Along with Tron Legacy !

Another one of those Pragued Rózsa whopper coming our way. The themes being on par with BEN-HUR and the CID though it will be long and exhausting haul (as usual, 2 hours plus).

Holy shitballs... what a theme ! This had gone from 'didn't know this existed' to 'as good as ordered' in a matter of minutes. :eek:

Another one of those Pragued Rózsa whopper coming our way. The themes being on par with BEN-HUR and the CID though it will be long and exhausting haul (as usual, 2 hours plus).

Let's not forget about those two re-recordinga of Goldsmith's WWII scores that are also coning our way. Both of which will be very welcome. :)

The Last Boy Scout by Kamen for me today.

Karol

Let's not forget about those two re-recordinga of Goldsmith's WWII scores that are also coning our way. Both of which will be very welcome. :)

Karol

Fantastic releases coming that's for sure. :)

2455.jpg

The movie's one of my childhood faves (it still is a hoot nowadays because of its genius blend of comedy and fantasy).

Another great Dante-Goldsmith pairing that let the composer craft some cool memorable themes and action cues.

For the longest time I was sad this remained unreleased. Thanks to Lalaland in 2009, I felt sad no more.

It may not be a true classic among scores, but boy is it fun. The album is almost 80 minutes, but it never outstays its welcome.

Like I said I like its fantasy element of the film a lot, and Jerry contributed in his own fashion, giving me quite a few goosebumps along the ride.

Karol

Fantastic releases coming that's for sure. :)

Can't wait to hear The River Pastorale and Messengers of Jehovah in great sound

Fantastic! Guess I've got to pick this one up!

9.jpg

Superbly powerful, haunting and emotional piece of work. I only know the woman from this, but she must have other great ones under her belt.

Ever since seeing this film, its music has stayed with me. Nowadays such a film would get the most nondescript, dull score, you know, of the background type.

Worth your money for the mighty cue 'Playing to Win' that evokes so much heroism it's unbelievable that a novice female composer could come up with this.

The album is even more worth it for all the elegiac pieces found throughout. Because these are film music magic. Overflowing with emotion.

This score effectively gives me the chills, and as a result of this I think the film is equally fantastic.

6402.jpg

Oh yes, that time of the year again. And I might as well say that I'm not listening to the version that LLL released.

It is terribly flawed, as wonderful as the music is. I'm listening to a much improved version. One that I totally enjoyed putting together.

Hook's 1991 album was a masterpiece, the complete score is even more of a masterpiece, because's there's simply much more music.

More music that just adds so much, provides more excitement, more magic, more fun.

I adore every second of it. Two plus hours of film music bliss... this is how I like to spend my evenings. :love2:

To their defence LLL did the best they could with the material available and with what the Indy set producer Laurent Bouzereau would call "exciting creative decisions" JW probably suggested for the set. Some of the most requested stuff was never found.

Rubbish!

Obviously since you know the details so well I am sure you can tell us so.

I would have loved to have seen what Matessino could have produced.

Is it just me or is Rózsa's main theme to Spellbound hugely overrated?

By...whom exactly?

It gets played (and lauded) a LOT on Classic FM on Saturday evenings. I'm just not into the melody and shrill orchestration.

I'm not saying the score is bad (it's a Hitchcock I haven't seen), but film music in that aesthetic style (sweepingly OTT and loud) I have to be in the mood for. And that repetitive melody simply doesn't work for me on a basic level.

I had to look it up, actually. Didn't remember it but yeah, typical swooning Hollywood romance - though Rózsa was less of a nuisance at that than Steiner, Young and sometimes Newman. For seldom discussed Rósza go for stuff like that (and he wrote tons like these in his MGM heyday):

6402.jpg

There's actually a great suite on an album called THE HOLLYWOOD FLUTE

Hey, this sounds lovely!

Yeah it is a lovely album indeed.

So far the best theme from film released in 2015. I'm not saying the best or most sophisticated composition or that it's any masterpiece. None of that. What I like about it is that it manages to bridge stylistic bridges between the styles of three composers and completely scattered around musical Marvel universe. For once, it sounds like a whole. And, at the same time, has a nice swashbuckling feel to it. It wouldn't be out of place in a pirate film or something like that. Sadly, filmmakers certainly made sure the score as heard in film is almost completely useless (and barely audible). But even after 4 months I still keep humming the Elfman/Silvestri tune:

As for other stuff, I've been listening to some Preisner as well:

Karol

Various by Hanan Townshend

Probably my favorite up-and-coming composer. The fact that he's worked multiple times with Malick says something. This album contains his piano arrangements used in The Tree Of Life, some original and some of classical pieces. Somehow missed that this was released 4 years ago.

Pawn Sacrifice by James Newton Howard

Another sleeper for the 99% of you, but since it's essentially an abridged version of Michael Clayton, I quite like it. Full review on FMM soon.

In light of a last-minute road trip to Vegas with some friends, which may last dangerously long into the coming week, I'm listening to the underappreciated coolness of David Holmes' Ocean's Eleven.

The Aristocats (Legacy) - George Bruns Et al

Good stuff, not in my top 10, but not horrible at all, and that Butler sneak music puts a smile on my face instantly.