What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

You now have listened to this score more often than all moviegoers and Goldsmith fans combined.

Nah, that would be L.A. Confidential.

Hmmm which reminds me. I should re-listen to it again!

If I were to make a list of best JNH scores six first slots would go to his first six collaborations with Shyamalan, then Snow Falling on Cedars. And then... long nothing. Perhaps something like Atlantis?

Lady in the Water and King Kong are on the top of my list. Possibly Snow Falling on Cedars and Treasure Planet, too. I'll have to relisten to Snow before I decide which to pick as a backup to hopefully get signed next month, but LITW comes first.

Yeah the Shyamalan scores are top notch obviously. Snow Falling On Cedars, definitely. Treasure Planet rocks!

Shame there was no new score with The Visit. But I guess it was a scoreless film by choice and by budget.

:music:Angela's Ashes by John Williams

If I were to make a list of best JNH scores six first slots would go to his first six collaborations with Shyamalan, then Snow Falling on Cedars. And then... long nothing. Perhaps something like Atlantis?

Karol

Nah, HIDALGO is better, as are WATER HORSE, KING KONG, SNOW WHITE & MALEFICENT (imho), WATER FOR ELEPHANTS and RESTORATION. My general aloofness towards full-blown americana music as WYATT EARP or THE POSTMAN rules these out but they would still come ahead of the Di$ney scores.

I used to like Cedars, but I find it too depressing these days. His recent stuff has too much RCP in it to be considered top-of-game for me.

My top JNH these days is probably still Signs, and that's taking the full score into account. It's unfortunate that M. Night's films are going downhill fast, because I certainly think JNH's music is being dragged with them.

I used to like Cedars, but I find it too depressing these days.

Is "depressing" bad then? Does good music need to be only cheerful and uplifting? I don't listen to Cedars often, very rarely even. But it's an unique score from JNH and pretty haunting.

Karol

I used to like Cedars, but I find it too depressing these days.

Is "depressing" bad then? Does good music need to be only cheerful and uplifting? I don't listen to Cedars often, very rarely even. But it's an unique score from JNH and pretty haunting.

Karol

It's a little more complicated than that. I was introduced to this score during my 'coming of age' period in my early teens when I had some issues/life events, and I find it very difficult to separate the two now.

Hence, I'd probably otherwise enjoy that score.

Although I also just don't enjoy scores for depressing films. For example, I can't listen to The Road; because the film is unrelentingly bleak. It's beautiful music, but I can't handle the images it evokes.

First listen of the new Intrada album for The Secret of NIMH . :music:

Not too keen on some of the suspense sections (as with most Goldsmith scores) but the rest is really good. I particularly like the main theme though I wish it were heard more in the score (this is also one of my few gripes with Goldsmith).

MI0002363028.jpg

DEVIL IN A BLUE DRESS - Elmer B.

Great little noir thriller score that has it all: the bluesy trumpet, the lazy atmosphere of a mid 50's LA afternoon, the rolling piano/bass suspense, it's a bit like Jerry's L. A. CONFIDENTIAL just less abrasive, more romantic: you hear that it's written by someone who was there back then. Great Incanus recommendation (you have to visit YouKnowWhere for it, unfortunately, as the album only has 6 minutes of it, sadly).

Pub, forum rule 08 - Discussion of music CDs before they are in stores (ie when they "leak" to the internet) is allowed, as is discussion of leaked recording sessions, sheet music, and other bootlegs. HOWEVER:
a) You may not post a link to, or name of, any site where this material can be illegally downloaded.

It is curious that no label has taken upon themselves to release that score on full album. More obscure pieces have received a release from Varese, Intrada and others.

Yeah Elmer did great throwback scores like Far From Heaven so I would imagine this is a treat too for film noir score fans. :)

Jurassic Park by John Williams: Still my favourite, nostalgia factor be damned. Entertaining and beautiful.

El Cid (excerpts from Tadlow's mammoth release) by Miklós Rózsa: There's nothing like some Rózsa's pomp and circumstance to get the Sunday going.

Rosewood by John Williams

Sleepers by John Williams

The Hollywood Flute (Sinfonia Toronto, solo flute Louise DiTullio): A thoroughly lovely compilation album of arrangements from film scores featuring solo flute, including Hook, Charlotte's Web, Dances With Wolves, Rudy and Sleeping with the Enemy. Publicist recommended the album for the Hook suite a couple of pages back in this thread and I heartily concur!

The full length E.T. has some down times, but I really miss the Keys theme on the album presentation.

But it is on the album...

It probably appears briefly somewhere in the final cues? It's been so long since I listened to the album in full. But all the dry suspense statements are missing.

The full length E.T. has some down times, but I really miss the Keys theme on the album presentation.

But it is on the album...

It probably appears briefly somewhere in the final cues? It's been so long since I listened to the album in full. But all the dry suspense statements are missing.

Abandoned and Pursued on the OST contains the Keys theme but otherwise it doesn't appear on the album.

Abandoned and Pursued basically IS a kickass version of Keys Theme

Indeed! Was is recorded specifically for the album or is it an alternate of E.T. Alone?

Abandoned and Pursued basically IS a kickass version of Keys Theme

Hm, true. I haven't listened to the score in such a long time that I apparently don't know what I'm talking about. I remember watching the film for the first time after being familiar with the album (I'd seen it once before, blissfully unaware of the existence of film music) and loving the sinister piano/base drum stuff for Keys - Invading Elliott's House is a good example of that. That's what I was referring to above... I'd forgotten that the actual theme is the Abandoned and Pursued one.

American Beauty—One of Newman's more energetic works, full of what I like to call "clockworks" music. Good score.

Definitely, though Treasure Planet was a bit superior (and Dinosaur was only slightly inferior). I'm always bummed no one ever mentions Dave, which is a personal favorite of mine from his repertoire.

Journey by Austin Wintory: Still as mesmerizing as ever. It is a perfect blend of sheer evocative moods and lovely melodic thematic work.

Journey by Austin Wintory: Still as mesmerizing as ever. It is a perfect blend of sheer evocative moods and lovely melodic thematic work.

:yes:

Have you played the game? The music's even more mesmerizing when you experience the journey.

No I have not, although I am an occasional gamer. But I have seen some of the walkthrough videos and can I imagine how effective and beautiful it is with the images and the story.

:music:The Banner Saga by Austin Wintory