What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Occasional gamer my ass!

Which games have you played? Tetris and Pacman?

Recently Batman Arkham series games, Assassin's Creeds and The Pillars of Eternity.

Oh shush and go listen to some game music!

P.S. The Pillars of Eternity had a very cinematic score, very nicely done. I spotted one heavy Revelation of the Ringwraiths moment in one cut scene but otherwise pretty nice original fantasy scoring.

:music:Medal of Honor Airborne by Michael Giacchino

No I have not, although I am an occasional gamer. But I have seen some of the walkthrough videos and can I imagine how effective and beautiful it is with the images and the story.

Have you seen Wintory's own walkthrough/commentary of the score? It's how I discovered it in the first place (Whitacre shared it a few years ago) and it's somewhat soothed my lack of the required Playstation for the actual game.

Oh yes I saw & heard that. Great accompaniment to the music itself but no substitute for the game, which HAS to be played, you have to get that connection with the world, the companions you meet, etc.

Journey by Austin Wintory: Still as mesmerizing as ever. It is a perfect blend of sheer evocative moods and lovely melodic thematic work.

:yes:

Have you played the game? The music's even more mesmerizing when you experience the journey.

It's spot on in the game, but it doesn't do all that much for me on its own. I should give it another try I guess.

P.S. The Pillars of Eternity had a very cinematic score, very nicely done. I spotted one heavy Revelation of the Ringwraiths moment in one cut scene but otherwise pretty nice original fantasy scoring.

It starts out promising in the menu, but then it just seemed to be a long list of wallpaper LOTR pastiches. I haven't played too far yet though - it tends to overheat my old video card. I'm waiting for the steam boxes.

It starts out promising in the menu, but then it just seemed to be a long list of wallpaper LOTR pastiches. I haven't played too far yet though - it tends to overheat my old video card. I'm waiting for the steam boxes.

I was happily surprised when I played the game. It is not all LotR pastiche, rather going along usual lines of the fantasy genre's musical styles. Still it provides a great atmosphere in the game and stands out enough to take notice. A very fitting spiritual successor of the Baldur's Gate music-wise.

:music:The Banner Saga by Austin Wintory

And what did you think of it?

Overall I was rather impressed. The score goes for a semi-authentic Norse feel with surprisingly many songs that are interspersed with the dramatic score and often incorporated into it. Perhaps a little over-reliant on drums at times but I dig the folk instrumentation which gives the music a unique texture and the atmosphere as a whole. Need to listen to it again.

John Ottman, Snow White: A Tale of Terror

Ambitious, if not fully successful fairy tale score by Ottman. While its harmonic language is miles beyond the chipper industry standard personified by i. e. Powell's new PAN score, Ottman seems somewhat overwhelmed by his (interesting) textures and too often ends up with raw orchestral sketches that are interesting but lacking an overall fabric/vision and a thematic brace. While there is a memorable main theme, the underscore is so morassy in textures that you start feel a bit sorry for it (or rather, its absence).

Still, it's a great showcase for a then-eager young talent. The recent JACK AND THE GIANTS is the more polished spitting image, featuring the themes this one somehow lacks.

We leave that to Thor.

GOLDSMITH, THE SECRET OF NIMH

Since it was in the mail last week, i popped it in and while the Intrada release is absolutely redundant for people who own the Varése, i bought it just for this one moody piece, 'At your Service' as i'm madly in love with Jerry's impressionist leanings.

The 'Main Title' linked above has this gorgeous ripe woodwind writing (heavy Ravel influence) that instantly immerses you in a faraway fairy tale land. While the lushness of this is sometimes at odds with Goldsmith more harsh, close-miked violent writing preserved from the 70's, the cues that paint the descent into the rat's magic lair contain some of the hands down best scoring i ever heard. File it under 'they ain't make 'em like is anymore'.

We leave that to Thor.

GOLDSMITH, THE SECRET OF NIMH

Since it was in the mail last week, i popped it in and while the Intrada release is absolutely redundant for people who own the Varése, i bought it just for this one moody piece, 'At your Service' as i'm madly in love with Jerry's impressionist leanings.

The 'Main Title' linked above has this gorgeous ripe woodwind writing (heavy Ravel influence) that instantly immerses you in a faraway fairy tale land. While the lushness of this is sometimes at odds with Goldsmith more harsh, close-miked violent writing preserved from the 70's, the cues that paint the descent into the rat's magic lair contain some of the hands down best scoring i ever heard. File it under 'they ain't make 'em like is anymore'.

Sounds lovely, that beginning is very Daphne et Chloe-like. I have to get this release

Parade of the Slave Children's one of these tunes in my head most days. A tune you can't beat.

If only the same thing could be said of the Slave Children...

:rimshot:

The Book Thief by John Williams

The Return of the King by Howard Shore: Listened to the CR DVD for sequence from The Mouth of Sauron to the end of the score. Spectacular. It still packs a huge emotional punch. I would love to hear this score in Live Projection Concert.

Dracula by John Williams: This score oozes Gothic romance from every pore mixed with thunderous dramatics and fierce (yet few) action pieces. I can't help but wish this was either released complete or re-recorded in full and with improved sonics as the LP transfer on the Varese CD leaves a lot to be desired. Nevertheless an essential JW album from the golden age packed with a wickedly catchy main theme and comes with his customary "scherzo of the score" in To Scarborough which he penned with steady regularity for nearly all his soundtracks back then.

:music:Jaws 2

Will the Potter fans like it?

I bear happy tidings! YES!!!

Jaws 2 by John Williams

The Eiger Sanction by John Williams

Earthquake by John Williams

Been on a bit of an Elfman kick lately.

Batman :music:

Is the expanded version of this getting as somebody who doesn't really care for the less thematic suspense portions?

Edward Scissorhands :music:

Sleepy Hollow :music:

Also listened to the awesome finale cue(s) from James Newton Howard's Signs :music: . Is the entire album worth picking up?

Is the expanded version of this getting as somebody who doesn't really care for the less thematic suspense portions?

Yes, I think so. There's some cool unreleased action music and other fun stuff. Don't buy LLL's first expanded version used or anything; Buy this improved version from last year instead, where its coupled with his brilliant Batman Returns score as well:

http://lalalandrecords.com/Site/DEBC.html

Also listened to the awesome finale cue(s) from James Newton Howard's Signs :music: . Is the entire album worth picking up?

Yes!! The main titles are brilliant, one of the best of all the 2000s. And the whole CD is a great listen, for sure!

Yes, I think so. There's some cool unreleased action music and other fun stuff. Don't buy LLL's first expanded version used or anything; Buy this improved version from last year instead, where its coupled with his brilliant Batman Returns score as well:

http://lalalandrecords.com/Site/DEBC.html

Yes!! The main titles are brilliant, one of the best of all the 2000s. And the whole CD is a great listen, for sure!

Yes I'd recommend the LLL Elfman Batman set. Especially if you happen to like both of his Batman scores.

And the whole album for Signs is definitely worth picking up. A brilliant concept, the little cyclical motif and what JNH does with it throughout. A lot of the suspense is slow burning and the Hand of Fate Part 1 and 2 are the true highlights but the rest is mesmerizing yet often very subtle but oh so brilliantly constructed.

Alan Silvestri - Volcano

Never heard this before. Pretty good stuff - Silvestri was pretty amazing throughout the 80s and 90s, eh? It's a bit more brooding and less fanfaric than my favorite scores of his, but I instantly liked it on first listen, which is a good sign!

Alan Silvestri - Volcano

Never heard this before. Pretty good stuff - Silvestri was pretty amazing throughout the 80s and 90s, eh? It's a bit more brooding and less fanfaric than my favorite scores of his, but I instantly liked it on first listen, which is a good sign!

I have only ever heard the "March of Lava" on one Silva compilation. Is the rest of the score as good?

Alan Silvestri - Volcano

I have only ever heard the "March of Lava" on one Silva compilation. Is the rest of the score as good?

Own that score since release and yes, it's a kickass Silvestri. The only downside is there's too little music on the album (under half an hour).

I have to take listen to Hidalgo soon. I have a suite for violin and orchestra on one compilation album but have never actually listened to the soundtrack.

Ah The Village is perfect for such a moody autumn day as this. I think I'll put it on my playlist now.